Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Tumbling 556 Part II - the saga continues

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by tlfreek, Feb 21, 2016.

1. tlfreek

tlfreek Vancouver WA Active Member

Based upon the terrific feedback you all provided in Part I, I cleaned the rifle thoroughly to include the muzzle. I grabbed a pile of factory ammo and my reloads and headed off for the range. I started at 100 yards and fired 10 factory and 10 reloads in separate targets - while the grouping pattern was different between them (my reloads were tighter and more consistent) there was NO keyholes. Happy with what I saw I headed off to the 200 yard range and did the same thing. The groups were tight (for me) with both factory and non and there was still NO tumbling.

The only thing that I think made a difference was cleaning the muzzle. There was definitely carbon build up but nothing I would have thought to cause the tumbling. I fired around 100 rounds and each paper impact was a nice 22 cal indent in the shoot n c target.

life is wonderful again. thanks for all of your help and guidance. Keep your rifles clean and clean your muzzles!!

Certaindeaf and MTpockets like this.
  2. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Southern Oregon Coast Well-Known Member

It just takes a small speck at the very end of the muzzle to destabilize bullets.
    Silver Hand

tlfreek likes this.
  3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Goes to show that you need to keep the candy wrappers and cigarette butts out of the muzzle!

:D

misterarman likes this.
  4. Cameron72

Cameron72 Harrington, WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Thank you for the update.

5. JedB

JedB PDX Active Member

Personally, i would have blamed the tumbling on the Barska scope..

But that's just looking for a scopegoat.

misterarman likes this.
  6. tlfreek

tlfreek Vancouver WA Active Member

where does all the hate come from Jed? you're just mad we didn't get Javier's tacos on the way home.

7. JedB

JedB PDX Active Member

Not hate, just an observation.