JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a fun article that kinda eludes to the idea of a "one gun" to own. I disagree with a few of them but mostly agree with the rest on their list. All of these guns offer some kinda hunting discipline certainly, but aside from the fact that technically -any- gun (caliber) can be used for hunting, something... in my biased opinion when I think of hunting in general im more of a medium or big game hunter than a small game or bird hunter (if your gonna live off the land with one gun, fill that freezer...).

For that reason I "half" disagree with the AR15 in 556 as ideal for big or even medium game hunting caliber. There is no question on its defensive purpose, and it makes a great varmint/predator rifle but a marginal deer caliber... it could be done though and have no issues with those that place their shots on deer size game. (Technically they shoulda suggested the AR in .223 for any hunting purposes as there are more ammo options better suited for both hunting and defense...). It would make a great "ranch rifle" though, its sort of right in the middle of things hunting wise. Now if they listed the 6.5 Grendel caliber they would have a true dual role AR15 platform.

Im also not a shotgun person so my bias will show here..., though they are essential for bird hunting obviously I just prefer something else for defense than a bird gun length shotty.

The 5.7x28mm (Ruger 57) would make a good squirrel pistol but thats too limited for me to consider a hunting caliber, not a fan for the caliber otherwise.

The rest I agree with, especially the Henry lever gun which IMO lever guns are the first true "assault" rifles and are awesome for old school self defense as well as hunting. That Henry rifle is truly set up for both hunting and self defense just right. If I had to own just one rifle for hunting and self defense it would probably be a lever gun... (or an AR10 platform).

enjoy and discuss... what would be the best one gun for both hunting and self defense?

I think it really defends on what/who I am defending myself against.

I chose AR10 in 308 because it is a great dual purpose gun, but it's definitely big for close quarters... which is also why I am building a 10mm G20 (I initially wanted a long slide, but damn that's a big gun to carry around/draw in the forest).

With the way the world is now, I think the best defense gun for close quarters is something a little hotter:
fire_1.jpg

-Robert

From a practicality stand point, the AR is the jack of all trades, master of none, but that doesn't mean its not an excellent one gun battery! The trick to making the AR and 5.56 work is to get close and make head shots, take the time to set up the stalk and get close enough to take the shot, doesn't matter how big and tough the game is, a shot to the gob ends the hunt, doesn't matter what caliber! I think this is where most folks really underestimate what an AR can really do, and it's why I think folks sell it short! A proper set up AR can be anything you need it to be with in reason, and that's the beauty, No AK can match that versatility, and very few small, light and handy rifles can!

This is also why I run a two gun battery, and if push comes to shove, those two are an FN/FAL and an AR! No compromises anywhere, and performance beyond all question! Everything else is frosting, and can sit and rot in the safe! If I had to go Old School, that would be one of the Winny 95's and a M1 Carbine!
If I were forced to choose only one, there is no choice, FAL is the ONLY answer for me!

I agree with much of the article as well. I think the AR in a 7.62x39 or 300blk would have better stopping power for sure.

I have an old Remington 740 Woodmaster in 30.06. I've shot a ton of deer and elk and even a couple moose with it. It's a relatively short barreled rifle that is easy to manage in tight spaces, (I hunted SE Alaska with it so that should be a good indicator) can take a 25 round magazine and 30.06 cartridges are easy to come by. I've always thought in a SHTF situation, it'd be one of the few I grab and go with.

1630047241808.png

I usually get a good laugh when the "outdoor " writers start talking macho.

That new school Winchester sxp is the bottom dog of the big 4 domestic pump guns.
I would hazard a guess that ad dollar$ played into that choice.

Ugly new tactical Henry over a Marlin or Winchester 94??
Massive fail.

Bolt action guns were good enough for several large conflicts, world wars 1 and 2, spanish american war, revolutions insurrections and other whatnot. A good bolt gun in in a reasonable caliber is good enough for most cases.

06' won two world wars both close in and long range, and has been taking small and large game animals for 115 years or so…hard to argue with success :D

20" shotgun should cover just about everything.

Remember in the end of times, you can hunt however the hell you want or need to. So I'm kind of surprised it's a question of what gun does what more than just shear resilience to eat.

I think it really defends on what/who I am defending myself against.

I chose AR10 in 308 because it is a great dual purpose gun, but it's definitely big for close quarters... which is also why I am building a 10mm G20 (I initially wanted a long slide, but damn that's a big gun to carry around/draw in the forest).

With the way the world is now, I think the best defense gun for close quarters is something a little hotter:
View attachment 1019984

-Robert
….'Cuz napalm sticks to kids!

Interesting question. Ignoring, for the moment, shotguns with their versatility: rifles that are, or patterned on, the Winchester 92 and 94. Fast handling, accurate enough, smooth action, decent ammo supply (from 6+1 to 10+1, depending), and in .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, or .30/30 WCF. They are fine hunting or working rifle and if so employed will make a two-legged varmint take a seat and ponder his life decisions. :s0155:

Interesting question. Ignoring, for the moment, shotguns with their versatility: rifles that are, or patterned on, the Winchester 92 and 94. Fast handling, accurate enough, smooth action, decent ammo supply (from 6+1 to 10+1, depending), and in .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, or .30/30 WCF. They are fine hunting or working rifle and if so employed will make a two-legged varmint take a seat and ponder his life decisions. :s0155:
interesting history on the Winchester 94s were used in WWI and WWII by a handful of countries including the US.
I would say if there ever was a hunting rifle that was efficient at defense its the lever gun.

Bolt action guns were good enough for several large conflicts, world wars 1 and 2, spanish american war, revolutions insurrections and other whatnot. A good bolt gun in in a reasonable caliber is good enough for most cases.
Being limited to the technology of the time in history doesn't mean it is suitable now, useable yes, suitable, no.

I was also confused by your reference to WWII because the M1 Garand the .30 carbine, and the a Thompson .45 acp were all semiauto, or full auto and those represented the American rifles/carbines most used by individual soldiers, then obviously there were machine guns as well. I'm confused where "bolt actions were good enough" had anything to do for the vast majority of WWII combat.

I'm in the SR15 and AR306 camp myself for walking bith sides if the fence, but it's good to look at other options in the event that legislation limits our choices. I pretty much agree with what's presented in the article.

With a semi auto ban I see lever guns as well as pumps as the most viable options to cross over from Hunting to self defense. Whi;e I dig the classic Winchester 94 I'd probably take a hard look at Browning BLR's which have swappable magazines and come in a variety of chamberings.

For the majority of shooters who don't train a non semi auto has some real advantages, They force you to make each shot count since they slow you down. It also helps to conserve ammo, which may or may not be available in abundance.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top