JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Being limited to the technology of the time in history doesn't mean it is suitable now, useable yes, suitable, no.

I was also confused by your reference to WWII because the M1 Garand the .30 carbine, and the a Thompson .45 acp were all semiauto, or full auto and those represented the American rifles/carbines most used by individual soldiers, then obviously there were machine guns as well. I'm confused where "bolt actions were good enough" had anything to do for the vast majority of WWII combat.
For most all other countries, the bolt action was the basic infantry weapon.
There were not enough semi autos to go around for u.s. troops. While not ideal in many cases a bolt gun will out perform in penetration and intimidation. While I am fond of my semi auto rifles and handguns, I do love a good bolt gun. I question the conventional definition of firepower, overwhelming expenditure of mediocre ammunition, or well placed shots of a definitive caliber.

Please do not misquote me again.

Last Edited:
I view it the other way around. What defensive/milsurp weapons would I hunt with. Most of my hunting stuff would be a "last resort" in the defensive world.
My hunting guns are bolt & lever actions in 7.62x51, 7.62x39 and 5.56x45, along with the usual .30-30, .30-06, etc

I have enough of both and both will serve for either purpose, but IMO as a prepper, defensive guns come first.

For most all other countries, the bolt action was the basic infantry weapon.
There were not enough semi autos to go around for u.s. troops. While not ideal in many cases a bolt gun will out perform in penetration and intimidation. While I am fond of my semi auto rifles and handguns, I do love a good bolt gun. I question the conventional definition of firepower, overwhelming expenditure of mediocre ammunition, or well placed shots of a definitive caliber.

Please do not misquote me again.
How did I misquote you?

It must be the wording that I have focused on, "good enough," because with that viewpoint, shovels, bare hands, knives, bayonets, pistols were "good enough" when better alternatives weren't available. I definitely was also focused mostly o American equipment and not other countries, you are right they heavily used bolt actions.

This is some interesting history on the distribution of service rifles.

Last Edited:
An AK in 7.62x39 or a saiga 12. 7.62x39 has similar ballistic to 30-30 which people have claimed to take any large game in North America and saiga 12 for versatility (I use mine out at Sauvies Island, once I broke it in its been reliable with all shells when matched to the right gas position)

IMO, both will have different Ideal criteria. For self defense, I'd want a light quick handling, lighter caliber, semi-auto or quicker action with a larger capacity magazine for quick reloading. Lever actions and pumps could be used for defensive purposes but you will be out gunned (7 or 8 rounds vs 30) against anyone wielding a mag fed semi-auto. With a bolt action, you would have another disadvantage of removing your off-hand to operate the bolt.

For hunting, I'd want a rugged medium weight firearm in a heavier caliber that focuses on longer range accuracy. If we're talking SHTF scenario, game is going to be scarce. To have any luck in bring home venison, you're going to have travel deep into areas where there are less people.

My choice would be an AR pistol in a caliber larger than 223/556, ie. 6.5 Grendel, 350 Legend, 6mm ARC, etc. and an air gun. Its quiet and small game is going to be easier to harvest close to home.

All I know is semi auto and auto shooters miss a lot when under stress, like when someone is shooting back. Give me a bolt gun in a 30 caliber round, preferably magnum, and one or two hundred rounds, and I am good to go. Not to get into a sustained fire fight, but to eliminate an immediate threat.

The benefit of semi-autos is quick follow up shots, which can be important in both defensive and offensive tactics.

Yes, that may result in a much higher consumption rate of ammo, but sometimes that is necessary.

The benefit of bolt/lever/etc. manually operated actions is that they do not depend on the power of the ammo to operate them, so you can use different ammo in them for different purposes - e.g., low power/subsonic/etc. - which is useful for hunting different game with the same gun - although some semis have adjustable gas systems.

It's pretty old but it is or was a military gun at one time.
But a 45/70 will kill anything .
Deer .elk.coyote.moose.
Bear. CRACKHEAD.
METH HEAD.
HORION JUNKY.
SO THATS MY CHOICE.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class