JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you shoot a spike buck?

• No I wouldn't

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • Only the last 3-7 days

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Only if it's a perfect opportunity or shot I like

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Yes from day I take the shot on a spike

Votes: 27 37.0%

• Total voters
Hoping to find some spots to go kick around in the coming weeks. Been skunked out the last two years on coastal range trips with locals. It's been a while!
Also to overstate the obvious, if anyone wants a buddy to tag along, shoot me a PM. Wouldn't mind updating my hunting friends as all others have fizzled out, perks of being a new father? Ha! Shoot me a PM and we can go from there. Would be appreciated. Cheers!

If I missed changes on the rules, last I checked spike or less bucks could only be taken with a doe tag. I have taken them in the past but I didn't draw a doe tag this year so my detailed answer to the poll here would be "no".

If I missed changes on the rules, last I checked spike or less bucks could only be taken with a doe tag. I have taken them in the past but I didn't draw a doe tag this year so my detailed answer to the poll here would be "no".
I wouldn't mind clarification on that. 2 years ago (last time I was out) it was forkie or better. Looking all over it just says visible antlers. :s0077: Sorry if it's an obvious answer, folks. Better safe than sorry.

One buck with visible antler. Never trust on fish and game regulations verify here is the link. It changed last year.

One buck with visible antler. Never trust on fish and game regulations verify here is the link. It changed last year.
That's what I've been looking at time after time. Glad it was cleared up, thanks @Zechariah

I had a question about fall bear hunting over east. I called the state police and they gave me the info I need this year. They were real nice and helpful. So that's always an option too if you are ever in doubt. 👍🏼

I had a question about fall bear hunting over east. I called the state police and they gave me the info I need this year. They were real nice and helpful. So that's always an option too if you are ever in doubt. 👍🏼
ODFW is a good resource too, at least in Roseburg.

Saw a lot of doe up in the Timber area over the weekend. On Saturday and Sunday morning I glassed the hillside I was camping over and saw what I am pretty sure was the same doe and a yearling both times. If I don't shoot a buck before the final weekend, I will be revisiting that spot to see if any buck are paying that doe a visit to get frisky!

Also, hunting Blacktail in the Coast Range over the years has taught me not to be picky; I will drop the first legal buck I see! I subscribe to the "bird in the hand" over "two in the bush."

Good luck fellow hunters!

Saw a lot of doe up in the Timber area over the weekend. On Saturday and Sunday morning I glassed the hillside I was camping over and saw what I am pretty sure was the same doe and a yearling both times. If I don't shoot a buck before the final weekend, I will be revisiting that spot to see if any buck are paying that doe a visit to get frisky!

Also, hunting Blacktail in the Coast Range over the years has taught me not to be picky; I will drop the first legal buck I see! I subscribe to the "bird in the hand" over "two in the bush."

Good luck fellow hunters!

Was that area busy with road hunters this weekend?

Opening day felt like a zoo in any areas close to town or close to a major highway. Was pretty easy to get out and people seemed respectful of each other's space. I'm hunting with my 4 year old so I'm a little limited on locations, but I would likely punch the ticket on any legal buck this time around. Will target bigger stuff as I refine my knowledge of the areas and find more spots.

Two spikes and a tall forked buck came into my field around 5:30 pm. My wife did not bring my daughter home right away after school so she missed a good opportunity to fill my tag. However, I decided to have fun and stalked the group until they were within 20 yards. They moved away feeding into some trees, where they ran into four girls. The group of seven hopped the fence to hang in the fields and open brush next door.

Went out for the first time today with my four year old, 8.6 miles total, 1900 vertical up, and 1900 vertical down; my boy is a trooper.

Saw two does on the drive out, three whitetail does on site along with another five blacktail does; no bucks to be seen.

Last Edited:
I've been in mourning the last couple days. I missed an opportunity on a record book buck possibly the biggest buck I've ever seen in my area at anytime of the year let alone hunting season. That's all I'm gonna say on that subject it hurts too much to speak about it. I also spotted a 3pt that day which was broadside I passed on and spotted a small buck yesterday probably spike but could of had tiny fork wasn't gonna shoot him either way so didn't care.
Hopefully me and the big boy will meet again.

Two spikes and a tall forked buck came into my field around 5:30 pm. My wife did not bring my daughter home right away after school so she missed a good opportunity to fill my tag. However, I decided to have fun and stalked the group until they were within 20 yards. They moved away feeding into some trees, where they ran into four girls. The group of seven hopped the fence to hang in the fields and open brush next door.
A couple days ago my daughter and I tried hunting before dark where we figured bucks were moving in headed to our field. Another hunter beat us to the spot. A group of does were bedded down blocking our path to another area so we watched around them until dark.
We skipped hunting yesterday afternoon because the weather was too nice for the bucks to move out before dark. Figured the morning would be the best bet with the wet weather coming in. I was correct, at day break, three deer were in the field feeding. It was a little too dark to tell but one looked like a spike. Then I spotted two more nearby and one had bigger antlers.
My daughter stalked over behind a hill to get a good vantage point and rest for the rifle. I spotted for her. The biggest buck walked out from a tree broadside near two others. She increased the scope magnification so she could see antlers better. She confirmed she was on the same buck I was spotting then let the shot fly. He dropped in his tracks.

When we got to him, we discovered he was a bigger buck then any we had seen so far. He was a very nice buck for her first deer. Her shot was a centered double lung behind both shoulders.

465EB2B6-FFB5-4035-9387-AD1BD28B0A8A.jpeg

I first captured this guy a couple months ago in velvet, so he survived bow season. And to the two bowhunters that left my cams... thank you, you guys are awesome for even getting back in a spot where I put cams up way to get out there and hunt.
I'd love to connect with this 3x4... but not super confident, my blacktail skills are limited to blind luck it seems No idea what I can do to pattern him? There's also a nice fork horn I wouldn't hesitate to take either. Whats interesting is I noticed a huge drop in deer pics on my cams here since bow season. Summer was pretty active with at least 3 different bucks.

Opening weekend was slow, we hunted a spot that typically has a lot of deer but saw little sign and a few does. I have 2 more weekends to focus on my trailcam spot, then an elk tag interrupts deer hunting for the season.

WLD_0099_crop_wm.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top