JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you shoot a spike buck?

• No I wouldn't

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • Only the last 3-7 days

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Only if it's a perfect opportunity or shot I like

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Yes from day I take the shot on a spike

Votes: 27 37.0%

• Total voters
I'm going to be around the Alsea Unit. Did a good amount of scouting and have a few spots to try this season. Brining my 4 year old along so that limits the "deep in the woods down the canyon" options. I also found a crazy elk highway with hundreds of elk tracks, beds, scat, and trails of all ages all over. Finally heard a few cow calls and spotted a few nice spike bulls. Probably will be long gone by elk season, but still really neat.

I wouldn't go for a spike. This year around my place there have been a more small bucks than I have seen before. The spikes are small compared to mature bucks and does. I rather let them have a chance for another year to get bigger.
We have had two bucks hanging around the property this week. I watched them tonight sparing. The bigger one is going to go in the freezer as my youngest daughters first buck if it doesn't get a little smarter by this weekend.

I'm out there for the experience, not the trophy and not REALLY the meat. I'll shoot the first legal deer I see.

I actually think the spike thing is a ok thing. Not a hater or lover of it. I think it is kind of cool especially for a younger hunter to get a better chance and several other reasons. And I don't really know but I can't see it hurting the population or quality of buck out there either. I voted for passing but maybe in a few years or different weapon I wouldn't.
Agreed . I don't have a problem with it but I'm leaving them for the kids .

Went out scouting and bird hunting this afternoon with my side kick (9yr old son). Saw 2 grouse, 2 quail, 4 deer (2 mommas and 2 older older fawns all together), 2 cow elk and 2 bulls. 3pt rag horn and a nice 5x5 really healthy looking guy. I would love to see either bull especially the 5x5 around Thanksgiving. Pretty fun scout with the boy. Seemed to just be one of those nights the game was really moving.

Had a new spike on the fence line an hour before dark. The bigger bucks came into the field after dark. They are really liking the new grass that is sprouting from the recent rain. I suspect by the morning they will be hard to find. Usually if they are moving early in the night, they are back into the brush before daylight. We will setup an hour before dark tomorrow for the first hunt.

I give spikes and even small forked horns a free pass so they have a chance to mature. Hunting mature blacktails is a passion, more like an obsession....

0405191721.jpg

I went out in the eve saw 3 does entering the clear cut I was watching. Unless it's a big buck he will get a pardon early. The last week my standards drop a little but it's also when I've killed my biggest bucks. I had a 2 year streak of last day kills going till last year got a cool looking forky in the last week. I really enjoy just looking and being out there with a tag. If I don't get one I still enjoy the time out there.

Nice work dude! Awesome rack. Any chance for a few details?
Thanks!
My first deer rifle. Been bowhunting for 20some years. Pretty excited.
505yards. 6.5 CreedMoor. Had a perfect shot in the lungs complete pass through with 143eldx. Left a golf ball sized exit. Fell over dead. Packed out in one trip 3.8 miles. That was rough. The deer I killed almost killed me back.
He was hanging out with two other bucks. I had dialed in on a 3 point I thought was the large one of the group, I don't zoom in max capacity, just far enough for precision, leaves enough to see what's going on around. I could see all three bucks in my scope, was just about to shoot the three point when this guy moved into the sunlight and I could clearly see how much more impressive he was compared to the three point.
Shot the 4point, he fell over and kinda off the rock ledge he was above. The forked horn of the group moved down to where the 4 point fell off, and was just looking at his buddy like "hey, what are doing down there" didn't really seem to care about his friend and went back to feeding. I shot across the drainage and when I finally got over there the other two bucks where still hanging out

Thanks!
My first deer rifle. Been bowhunting for 20some years. Pretty excited.
505yards. 6.5 CreedMoor. Had a perfect shot in the lungs complete pass through with 143eldx. Left a golf ball sized exit. Fell over dead. Packed out in one trip 3.8 miles. That was rough. The deer I killed almost killed me back.
He was hanging out with two other bucks. I had dialed in on a 3 point I thought was the large one of the group, I don't zoom in max capacity, just far enough for precision, leaves enough to see what's going on around. I could see all three bucks in my scope, was just about to shoot the three point when this guy moved into the sunlight and I could clearly see how much more impressive he was compared to the three point.
Shot the 4point, he fell over and kinda off the rock ledge he was above. The forked horn of the group moved down to where the 4 point fell off, and was just looking at his buddy like "hey, what are doing down there" didn't really seem to care about his friend and went back to feeding. I shot across the drainage and when I finally got over there the other two bucks where still hanging out
That's great! Coastal range or cascade foothills? I went out in the coastal range and didn't see any deer. Tons of quail and grouse. Saw my first mountain lion (at 4am on the way to the spot) and tons of super fresh elk sign. All the deer sign I saw was fresh as well, but couldn't get a bead on any. I heard about 8 shots within a square mile of me in the last 30 mins of shoot time.

Skipped opening day. I let the yahoo's get it out of there system.
We went out today to try and get into an area near last year's burn in the cascades. It was on a whim. Ended up in a totally new to me place. Nearly no sign. What we did see, was old. No game animals spotted. Not even a grouse.
Got to spend time with my wife so it wasn't a complete waste.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top