JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Would you shoot a spike buck?

• No I wouldn't

Votes: 30 41.1%
  • Only the last 3-7 days

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Only if it's a perfect opportunity or shot I like

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Yes from day I take the shot on a spike

Votes: 27 37.0%

• Total voters
Pre rut for blacktails may present a little different in different geographic areas as well as the timing being different. The pre rut usually starts in my area mid October and the rut peaks early Nov. The deer I hunt are lowland deer and many live their lives in a 1-2 square mile area. What I am seeing is bucks I hardly ever see getting more active (mostly nocturnally) and pushing non receptive does around a bit. They are generally being more active with a few smaller bucks even showing in daylight hours. This to me is indicative of pre rut. I have tried rattling and grunting in the past with little or no success. I think because of the small greenbelts the deer in my area use, aggressive grunting and rattling is not an effective tool. Light rattling and grunting seems to work a bit but I am not convinced it is needed. My main technique is to find the travel paths of the does and set treestands and ground blinds accordingly. I prospect and use game cams to confirm areas are frequented by does. I then spend as many hours in the blinds/stands as possible, mostly the first couple hours in AM and last few hours in PM. I do spend longer periods at these areas if the weather is stormy. Game cams dictate which blind/stand I use on any particular day. It is a game of patience waiting for a good one to show during shooting light. I could shoot a buck most every year but mostly pass on the younger bucks waiting for a good mature buck. I seem to shoot a good blacktail buck every 2-3 years and eat my tag other years. I took me years to be able to have the proper patience reauired to consistently kill these blacktails, as I have mostly been a spot and stalk hunter in my career.

Last Edited:
Definitely still pre rut in my area. Reviewed my pics and on one cam and I had a pretty decent buck come up to where some does were feeding. He payed them very little mind while they scampered off. he just watched them leave and just started feeding. He is safe from me but my wife is hunting this year and she is more of a meat hunter so we shall see.

Current situation. Ive been fogged in all day. Normally I have good views into this creek draw....
Somewhere near me is a nice 3x4 ive been watching on my trailcams but im not confident I will get so lucky.

1015211232.jpg

Went out today. Convinced my 4 year old to walk with me the 1.5 miles. Saw 4 doe in two different reprod clear cuts probably 4 year old growth. Was very promising. We'll see how the rest of the season unfolds. I picked up a few cheap trail cameras I'm going to place in a few strategic locations.

I have increasingly become interested in stand hunting as it seems that they are used across the country, except here in the PNW.

We have watched deer at the edge of a steep hill from 50 yards above and they had no idea we were there.
I think a stand in some deep dark timber might be the trick to seeing more of the monster gray ghosts.

I cant count the amount of times i have spent hours just spotting an animal to only look away for a moment and it has ghosted me without a sound.
I started stand hunting 10 years ago... i have tree stands and ground blinds.... so much more productive than spot and stalk.... even killed a large bear from a tree stand....... trick is picking the right stand location...

I started stand hunting 10 years ago... i have tree stands and ground blinds.... so much more productive than spot and stalk.... even killed a large bear from a tree stand....... trick is picking the right stand location...

I'm definitely interested.

We find a lot of trails and I'm starting to look up in search of places to hang a stand.

I would love to use a ground blind or tree stand but I hunt public lands, how do these work on public lands? Any issues like others using yours?

I would love to use a ground blind or tree stand but I hunt public lands, how do these work on public lands? Any issues like others using yours?
i use ground blinds that i take up and put down each day.... tree stands.... i never caught anyone in one... and if i had... his hunt would have been ruined for the day had he refused to leave it lol... i usually put my tree stands in places that no one would go anyways... and since the were camo they wouldnt really see them anyways...

but i do chain them to the tree.. and they are engraved with name and number...

i use ground blinds that i take up and put down each day.... tree stands.... i never caught anyone in one... and if i had... his hunt would have been ruined for the day had he refused to leave it lol... i usually put my tree stands in places that no one would go anyways... and since the were camo they wouldnt really see them anyways...

didnt know their were portable ground blind options, if you have one you recommend Id be grateful if you shared. Not certain Id do a tree stand on public land yet, those seem more expensive investment to lose.

didnt know their were portable ground blind options, if you have one you recommend Id be grateful if you shared. Not certain Id do a tree stand on public land yet, those seem more expensive investment to lose.
go to cabellas and look at ground blinds.. they are just tents... if your hunting alone the DOGHOUSE is a good easy to carry blind....works great,,,, i put it up when i get to where i am hunting..... fold it up when i leave.... weaights less than 10 pounds.... keeps you dry.. out of the wind.. and the deer will walk right past you.. you can order them online cheap... dont buy from Cabellas though

go to cabellas and look at ground blinds.. they are just tents... if your hunting alone the DOGHOUSE is a good easy to carry blind....works great,,,, i put it up when i get to where i am hunting..... fold it up when i leave.... weaights less than 10 pounds.... keeps you dry.. out of the wind.. and the deer will walk right past you.. you can order them online cheap... dont buy from Cabellas though
This is a good tip. Put this on my list...

I find tree stands occasionally as I cruise timber. I always leave some flagging on them to wish the hunters luck.

Here in eastern Washington, there is a 3 point minimum for bucks, mostly mule deer. My arthritic knees prevented me from hunting here this year, and we didn't get drawn for deer or antelope in Montana this year. Glad I didn't try to hunt this season, so I didn't slow down my son. He got this guy Monday morning. Not a black tail, but thought I would share.
B5D46D1D-0A27-4DAF-93D5-47F73D0662FA.jpeg

Here in eastern Washington, there is a 3 point minimum for bucks, mostly mule deer. My arthritic knees prevented me from hunting here this year, and we didn't get drawn for deer or antelope in Montana this year. Glad I didn't try to hunt this season, so I didn't slow down my son. He got this guy Monday morning. Not a black tail, but thought I would share.
View attachment 1055271
Mule deer photos welcome. Cool picture dad. I'm sure he missed hunting with ya.

**Report** been seeing a few deer glassing this week getting out mostly in the afternoons this week. Sunday I saw what looked to be some rut-tivities going on. Buck with 4 others he had big body swelled neck rubbing Christmas size tree could see he was at least a fork but was 400 yards out at about 620pm and getting tough to see. I tried to get spotting scope on that buck but light faded pretty fast and was unable to get on him and ended up losing track of the group.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top