JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seems like there are a lot of options. Seems they have gotten a lot smaller as well. Seems portable and packable all that Google dishes up which is fine with me if they will do the Job but they seem like they would not hold enough wood to keep a tent warm at night. What do you guys who camp in cold November hunting trips when it snows. The one my uncle uses when I hunt with him is pretty old and heavy but has worked great but now I want my own looking for the best option

Thanks!

Part of the problem with most tent stoves is they are built fairly light, and not particularly 'tight' so as to be able to damper them down to hold a fire for any length of time.

Many years ago I built a wood stove to use in my own 10 X wall tent that worked out very well - but this was because I designed it to be airtight with a door with an insulated seal similar to a residential style stove.

I could damper it down and it would hold a fire nearly all night. It was 12" x 12" by about 24" (if I recall) and made out of 16 ga sheet metal so it was pretty stout.

I designed removable legs so it was easy to pack up in the pickup, and set up about 24" when inside.

My best friend who passed away a couple years ago was the owner of "Sims Stoves", a portable folding tent stove that his grandfather had developed in the 40's. It was meant to be folded and carried in horse panniers, made of 16 Ga steel. The pipe sections all nested and had spark arrestors. All panels were hinged with stainless steel hinges riveted on. Came with a warming shelf standard, and you could get an oven that attached to the side. Once the stove was set up, throw some dirt in the bottom so it doesn't burn out. That stove was plenty warm for an 8' x 10' tent, we used them on plenty of late season elk hunts in Montana. Too bad that the stoves are no longer made.

The Sims Stove was not big in size, but efficient. If all you are looking for is warmth, a stove that has a pipe dampener and a dampener in the fire door will work. You will have to keep a bit of wood in the tent on cold nights and stoke it a time or two. I have browsed around looking at what is out there, most don't fold, but the legs detach and you can store the pipe and legs in the oven. Portability may be an issue if you think you want to get way out in the backcountry.

Last year I gave my Sims Stove and wall tent to the Grandsons, along with my pack saddles and panniers. They can pack the horses and set up tents, I'm just along for the ride and give sage advice.

The stove should be set up near the front tent flaps for better drafting. The front roof of the tent is where the pipe jack should be.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top