JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've used both. I've even slept in a big E350 van with just the pilot light on (and a window very slightly cracked at just above freezing and been extremely comfortable. Propane tanks take up less space than a bed of wood so I guess it comes down to elevation, temps and space.

There is no one size fits all.

*** plus I like to tend a wood camp fire and not my heating choice while sleeping

I've spent a ton of money on all kinds of fancy synthetics, not for me. Unfortunately finding decent clothing that suits my fancy that is not synthetic is getting near impossible any more so my things tend to get a little thread bare before it gets thrown away.

I just couldn't sleep with the heat on all night. A properly set up tent that is relatively draft free and a good sleeping bag is enough even in the very cold.
But mostly, knowing how to operate a stove properly, (did you line the bottom with sand or dirt for insulation) having prepared featherwood, shaved fat wood or other dry kindling, matches, and intermediate size wood always handy, closing down damper at night, and at the right time, before you retire, so a little hot coal or at least a still hot bead is available in the morning makes a fast fire.
I think most folks would be better suited with the gas heater. Too much fiddling with a wood stove for the modern sort into instant gratification.. Personally, wood, cotton, leather and wool are, if not better, at least way more comfortable for me.
There is one thing, when you run out of gas.....

There is one thing, when you run out of gas.....
LOL! For sure. Just got back from bowhunting for elk over in the northeast corner of the state. Took the Big Buddy heater and 18 canisters of propane. Might have been the warmest year ever as far as overnight lows. I think one night might have dipped slightly below 50 degrees. Never even unloaded the heater from the back of the pickup, and we were running a butane cook stove, so plenty of propane left.

It took me awhile to embrace the synthetic clothing - especially the price tag. Boots were the exception. Thirty years ago my wife used to buy me Texas Steer brand boots from Montgomery Wards and not only would I wear a pair out in one season, they leaked like a sieve. I bit the bullet and paid two or three times the price for decent boots, and ended up with dry feet, saving money in the long run by getting several years out of a pair.

LOL! For sure. Just got back from bowhunting for elk over in the northeast corner of the state. Took the Big Buddy heater and 18 canisters of propane.
My friend uses the barbeque size refillable cylinders of gas now for his heater since sadly the very handy but throw away 1# size hit near six bucks a can. Ultimately, he said he is glad he went that way.
I have a device to refill the 1#ders, but even with freezing them, never been successful doing more than one full the rest much less sometimes not even half full. I only use them for my little cook stove or rarely, the lantern.

I've used both. I've even slept in a big E350 van with just the pilot light on (and a window very slightly cracked at just above freezing and been extremely comfortable. Propane tanks take up less space than a bed of wood so I guess it comes down to elevation, temps and space.

There is no one size fits all.

*** plus I like to tend a wood camp fire and not my heating choice while sleeping
When I was a teenager, my dad and I built a 2 foot vertical extension out of 2x4's and plywood that fit the bed of his pickup. We'd plop the canopy on top of that and drive all over hell and back with that setup every hunting season.
Heated the whole thing with a 2-burner Coleman and a 20 lb. bottle.
That old stove and the same bottle have sat on the back porch for years now.
It's the emergency stove we used at my parents house when the power went out.
However, if the OP is stuck on a wood stove. I kinda like the setup this guy uses. Might only be available in Japan, though.
Don't know anything about it, past what you see in the video...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA