JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seems like there are a lot of options. Seems they have gotten a lot smaller as well. Seems portable and packable all that Google dishes up which is fine with me if they will do the Job but they seem like they would not hold enough wood to keep a tent warm at night. What do you guys who camp in cold November hunting trips when it snows. The one my uncle uses when I hunt with him is pretty old and heavy but has worked great but now I want my own looking for the best option

Thanks!

Seems like there are a lot of options. Seems they have gotten a lot smaller as well. Seems portable and packable all that Google dishes up which is fine with me if they will do the Job but they seem like they would not hold enough wood to keep a tent warm at night. What do you guys who camp in cold November hunting trips when it snows. The one my uncle uses when I hunt with him is pretty old and heavy but has worked great but now I want my own looking for the best option

Thanks!
I wouldn't use a tent stove. I would use a buddy heater. They are great.

They make various sizes and the flex one is a heater with a stove attachment (have not used that one personally).

Last Edited:
Or something like a Olympian catalytic LP heater.

These are incredibly efficient, and put out a lot of heat.
That sounds like a good option are they pretty safe from carbon dioxide poisoning? I had one of the small Coleman ones that came out several years ago. It sucked but again that was a long time ago will one warm a tent that size.

Plus no worries about running out of propane, stove not running etc. Although buddy heaters are pretty dependable. Have several.

Never did a tent woodstove, but seems a really great idea!
We run 2 stoves in our elk hunting camp, can't beat em. Both home made jobs, if it gets real cold my cook tent will get a buddy heater. It's best to know the wood your burning and make sure it's seasoned.....dead standing Tamarac is my favorite over east

Pluses and minuses with both

One downside to the wood stove is hoping you have dry wood near or at your camp to cut - and then taking the time to do it.

You can bring some wood to get started and them finish with what you find at camp.

LP conserves time and it's not hard to calculate usage so as to bring enough not to run out.

Been there, done it with both.

Only city boys from NW Portland go with a buddy heater and one sleeping bag…. they probably get pretty sweaty.
Talk about "wood" heat….

IMG_1360.jpeg

You can't beat wood heat when it's below zero out. City Boys use buddy heater, real men cut and split firewood! 😁
I heat my home with firewood but use the Big Buddy Heater in my 10' X 14' Kodiak Flexbow canvas tent. It works fine. We use our sleeping bags for warmth while sleeping, and burn propane in the mornings and evenings. My son and I were comfortable on Hart Mountain last November, even when the stream next to our tent was frozen solid.

IMG_7902.JPG IMG_7910.JPG

Thanks!
I have used small 3000-5-000 btu buddy heater from bimart for about $80.00 dollars in 18 degree overnight temp and down bags with perfection.

If you are worried about staying warm with a tent stove, do these guys look like their cold??
204.jpg 197.jpg
This is what it looks like outside the first day it started:
88.jpg
If you go with the stove, get some burlap feed sacks, they are great for carrying the stove and sooty stove pipes in.

If you are worried about staying warm with a tent stove, do these guys look like their cold??
View attachment 1488239View attachment 1488240
This is what it looks like outside the first day it started:
View attachment 1488238
If you go with the stove, get some burlap feed sacks, they are great for carrying the stove and sooty stove pipes in.
Looking at the photos brings to mind some good points in favor of wood stoves. Personally, I'm usually wearing modern synthetics and confess to being a bit of a camo clothes collector. I generally have fresh clothes for every day of the hunt and then some. If you're needing to dry out jeans, cotton shirts, leather boots, etc., then the Big Buddy propane heater should not be your "go-to". A good wood stove would be much handier for drying stuff out.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews