JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do I offer to sell the gun back to the store for a trade-in value while it is new (maybe for store credit?), or just keep it as an extra pocket gun. I paid $229 and received a $30 rebate. I am hoping the wise people on this forum have some advice.

What a pain in the butt this has been for you. If it was me, I'd just sell it as new on the "used" gun market. You'll likely get more than doing a trade in or outright sale to the gun shop. That's what I'd do unless I thought there might be a time it's much smaller size (compared to the Shield) might be handy. The TCP is small enough to truly be called a "pocket gun".
I recently sold my TCP after getting a 40 S&W Shield. The wife will stop carrying hers once she gets a little more comfortable with her Kahr CM9. However, I may just keep hers instead of selling it because it's smaller and lighter than either of the other two guns I mentioned. While I usually dress well enough to cover a bigger gun, there are times the TCP just goes along with me and even I don't know it's there!

Thank you Orygun for that good advice. You have highlighted the dilemma. The very small pocket size might come in handy, but maybe not?? Now I just have to decide on an IWB tuckable holster for the Shield.

I dont have much experiance with taurus but a good friend of mine had to send his judge in for repairs and between the time that they recieved it and the day it got back to his front door was 9 days. Thats pretty impressive. Although Id rather have a gun that I will never need to send back.

I dont have much experiance with taurus but a good friend of mine had to send his judge in for repairs and between the time that they recieved it and the day it got back to his front door was 9 days. Thats pretty impressive. Although Id rather have a gun that I will never need to send back.

And what if it failed when he needed it in self defense.. I suppose his widow could send it in for "repairs"

So Blitzkrieg, NO OTHER gun brand in the world can ever fail?? You got it bad for Taurus, and I won't say you're not somewhat justified, but not EVERY Taurus malfunctions, although it's probably accurate to say 30% of them do....the rest are fine. I've got a B level TCP, 2500 rounds through the gun, never one malfunction, EVER. I also had a PT709 Slim, not sure how many rounds it had, never one malfunction with it. By comparison, my nearly $600 Sig P238 that I no longer have had to go back to Sig for FTE probs which was a problem a high percentage of them had when they came out. As we speak, the brand new Beretta PX4 Storm compact I just bought is at Beretta for an issue. So why don't you draw us a distinction between a low cost Taurus going back for repairs, and an over-priced Sig also going back for repairs? That $600 Sig could have failed me in an emergency situation, just like you elude to a Taurus doing, but yet you demonize Taurus terribly as if they're the only gun that can ever have a problem. I think it's unfair how you badmouth the brand just because you had an issue with one. Their good customer service definitely accounts for a lot in my book.

So Blitzkrieg, NO OTHER gun brand in the world can ever fail?? You got it bad for Taurus, and I won't say you're not somewhat justified, but not EVERY Taurus malfunctions, although it's probably accurate to say 30% of them do....the rest are fine. I've got a B level TCP, 2500 rounds through the gun, never one malfunction, EVER. I also had a PT709 Slim, not sure how many rounds it had, never one malfunction with it. By comparison, my nearly $600 Sig P238 that I no longer have had to go back to Sig for FTE probs which was a problem a high percentage of them had when they came out. As we speak, the brand new Beretta PX4 Storm compact I just bought is at Beretta for an issue. So why don't you draw us a distinction between a low cost Taurus going back for repairs, and an over-priced Sig also going back for repairs? That $600 Sig could have failed me in an emergency situation, just like you elude to a Taurus doing, but yet you demonize Taurus terribly as if they're the only gun that can ever have a problem. I think it's unfair how you badmouth the brand just because you had an issue with one. Their good customer service definitely accounts for a lot in my book.

In his defense. One bad experience is one to many for some people.

At the price. Taurus is getting a lot of guns in a lot of hands. I feel that that's still better than no gun. I think those buying them think the same.

On an aesthetics point: What I wish taurus would do is make a sexier polymer pistol.. The ones they've got now look like bricks.. Thus I only stick to their PT92/PT1911s and revolvers now.

However the millennium I had never malfunctioned.. It was just too bulky for CC.

Has anyone seen that new revolver of theirs that has the clear resin side plate that allows you to see inside the revolvers action? It looks kinda neat. Id never buy it but it is pretty cool looking.

I have shot many handguns for thousands of rounds with no issues.. one example being the BHP. Taurus isn't even close as far as quality. It's your life...

We all agree Taurus is not the highest quality gun made....but to come on here and tell one guy that his Taurus is only fixed until it fails again, and that when a Taurus fails that his widow can try to get it repaired, etc. are just totally unnecessary comments that a person shouldn't make on a gun forum.

I won't trust my life to a Taurus. Had one that jammed up real bad all the sudden. The locking block cracked in two. They fixed the one that failed on me without issue. Thankfully it failed while target shooting and not when I needed it to protect my life.

We all agree Taurus is not the highest quality gun made....but to come on here and tell one guy that his Taurus is only fixed until it fails again, and that when a Taurus fails that his widow can try to get it repaired, etc. are just totally unnecessary comments that a person shouldn't make on a gun forum.

I don't agree but I think telling the truth is very important

I don't agree but I think telling the truth is very important

So you think it's ok to start telling people they'll make a widow of their wife and that guns will always fail?

Well, the first one ain't cool, ever.

The second point fits for anything that can fail, so, moot point.

I'm happy for you that you can exude confidence in Taurus, but they have quite a track record that backs me up, including the OP of this thread. I have no sacred gun cows and am happy to tell the truth. You can always put me on ignore if I ruffle your feathers ;)

So you think it's ok to start telling people they'll make a widow of their wife and that guns will always fail?

Well, the first one ain't cool, ever.

The second point fits for anything that can fail, so, moot point.

If you had experienced what I did with Taurus guns, you would not be saying this. Or maybe your life isn't as important as brand loyalty? Did you see the disintegrated revolver a page back? What the he double hockey sticks do you think would happen if that occurred when a defender tried to use it in self defense against an armed attacker? My failures were not as catastrophic but sure as lightning would have ended the same way

I split the comments up deliberately, it doesn't matter what 'your' experience is, you can't just tell someone that they're going to really upset their wife.

The second comment was because, with everything, it can all fail.

How about a S&W with the same problem?

IMG_2879.JPG

S%26W_329_lock_failure.jpg

img_0943-tfb.jpg

Anyway, my point is that anything can fail catastrophically, it doesn't mean you get to drag someones wife into the equation, there was a picture rolling round years ago and 'friends not letting friends roll on Rotas' - showing a broken car wheel, no context, and in truth, used correctly, there is nothing wrong with them.

If you have a bad experience, such as the one you pictured, then pass it on, you can't speak for every firearm out there, and in that case, there just isn't a trend with them blowing up, and as you can see from the pictures i just posted, it happens to S&W as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top