JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A few weeks ago I bought a new Taurus TCP 380. They had them for $199 at a semi-local gun shop. I already had one, have had it almost two years, and it has been a phenomenal little gun. Has never malfunctioned, accurate, and great trigger. Over 2000 rounds through this gun...never a hiccup. Incidentally, it's a "B" revision level.
Enter my brand new TCP, a "D" level revision, the newest and latest there is. What a heap. Out of the first 7 mags, in the middle of 6 of them the slide locked back on the 2nd or 3rd round. Then FTE's began to happen. So, Taurus (after I FINALLY got ahold of them) sent me a label, and back it went yesterday, to hopefully be properly repaired.
I feel like this about it; I find it totally unacceptable that this is what these gun manufacturers put on the market for us to buy. And it's not just Taurus, it's other brands too, sometimes much more expensive guns, like the Sig 238 I had. These companies have built hundreds of thousands of guns, and in this example with this Taurus, after 4 revisions to the gun, they still don't have it right? There's just no excuse for that. Yes, sometimes you'll have an issue with something...nothing is perfect. But in the case of a gun that someone buys primarily to protect their life if they need to, the sub-standard quality of some of them is just inexcusable in my opinion. No, I didn't have to buy it, but I did, so I should be able to trust it from the git-go, no different than my Glock, Sig 226, and my HK USP.
Does anyone else agree?

A few weeks ago I bought a new Taurus TCP 380. They had them for $199 at a semi-local gun shop. I already had one, have had it almost two years, and it has been a phenomenal little gun. Has never malfunctioned, accurate, and great trigger. Over 2000 rounds through this gun...never a hiccup. Incidentally, it's a "B" revision level.
Enter my brand new TCP, a "D" level revision, the newest and latest there is. What a heap. Out of the first 7 mags, in the middle of 6 of them the slide locked back on the 2nd or 3rd round. Then FTE's began to happen. So, Taurus (after I FINALLY got ahold of them) sent me a label, and back it went yesterday, to hopefully be properly repaired.
I feel like this about it; I find it totally unacceptable that this is what these gun manufacturers put on the market for us to buy. And it's not just Taurus, it's other brands too, sometimes much more expensive guns, like the Sig 238 I had. These companies have built hundreds of thousands of guns, and in this example with this Taurus, after 4 revisions to the gun, they still don't have it right? There's just no excuse for that. Yes, sometimes you'll have an issue with something...nothing is perfect. But in the case of a gun that someone buys primarily to protect their life if they need to, the sub-standard quality of some of them is just inexcusable in my opinion. No, I didn't have to buy it, but I did, so I should be able to trust it from the git-go, no different than my Glock, Sig 226, and my HK USP.
Does anyone else agree?

Never have had an issue with any of the Taurus brand I have or had. One thing to take into account is the fact you bought a $200 dollar pistol and expect $600 dollars of performance.

Is that what I specifically said?? No. What I meant to imply or convey is that a gun should be trustworthy...I don't care if it's $200 or $600 or $1000... My other TCP was $200 also, and it's a good, no....a GREAT little gun. So for $200, malfunctions every other magazine are acceptable, is that what you're saying to me? I also had a $550 Sig 238 that malfunctioned, and it had to go back for repairs as well. It was one of the first of them back when they were introduced, and they had some issues. A $550 gun ought to work properly out of the box, don't you think?

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the second pistol. I to have one but have had great sucksess with mine though. Hopefully they get it repaired the first time and quick.
When I bought mine I was Hesitant, seen it was made in USA now I figured what could go wrong.

My boss bought a DB9 shortly after I got my TCP. He pulled the trigger 3 times and the pistol blew apart in his hand. Not sure what happed to it, he tried to explain but I didn't understand. But he sent it in and a month later they finally ended up sending him a different one.

I also previously had a Taurus PT709 slim....another great gun, never an issue. It actually became, for a couple months during summer 2012, my primary carry gun instead of my G19.
I hope they fix it right too. I don't know how Taurus' service is regarded, good or bad....I have no idea. I'm going to find out i guess.

I have purchased 3 of the TCPs. The 1st one was a pink one for my daughter. She began experiencing feeding problems after several hundred rounds and was going to send it back to Taurus. Don't know the outcome of that.
The 2nd one I bought was used (all black) works like a dream, although I don't like where it shoots compared to point of aim at 15+ yards... But it's not a problem for a "belly gun". The 3rd was a black frame, stainless slide for the wife. I had to de-burr the lower right of the chamber so it would feed well, but it's been a solid performer since then.
I don't expect a ton from a $2-300 handgun, but I do expect it to work.
HKUSP40, since you had one that worked well, what made you buy another?

By the way, I'm not a real fan of the .380. The Taurus is so small and easy to hide is why we have them, but I've since purchased a small Kahr 9mm for the wife. I'll look at something else for me to replace my TCP, which I only carry when the 1911 is just a bit too big.

I will have two, reliable TCPs up for sale soon.

I bought another because I wanted to be able to leave one in the car, all the time. During summer I would carry it sometimes, and then put it back in the car. Having two of them was supposed to eliminate the hassle is all. Like you said orygun, they're so handy to take anywhere and hide....gotta love that.
And that's right; I too don't expect anything from a $200 gun other than it shoot when I pull the trigger. That's not an expectation that is too high, not by any means.

I just got the gun back. Repair order says slide catch was replaced, and it says the extractor was "oversized" and they adjusted it. Don't know what they mean by oversized, but I am gonna go shoot it tonight, and see how it does. If I can get 5 mags through it with no problems, I'll be happy. They put 4 mags through it and used Winchester 95G ammo.

I'm pretty sure all manufacturers test all guns before they leave the factory these days. Most ship with a spent cartridge from that test even.

With that being said, they can not afford to fully test each gun thoroughly. Ammo costs would be through the roof. Most only put 5-10 rounds through it before it gets a gtg for sale if that maybe less.

So. That leaves lots of room for bass apples to get through.

Taurus has a lot of poured in metal parts. Not forged or machined. Basically heat treated pot metal.

Put all that together and I finally understood why Taurus built itself a bad rep.

I owned at least 4 Taurus pistols. I still have two. Including a TCP. All of mine have been good to me. None the less I have read so many stories of folks needing to use their services.

Taurus has an interesting business model putting out as many inexpensive weapons out with questionable reliability. However they all come with a lifetime warranty?!? I'm guessing it works.

I still have my eyes on their 17hmr revolver too.

A friend of mine at work bought a 709 slim that jammed on the first round he fired and had a few ftfs in the first 100 rounds, then it smoothed out and has ran without a single jam of any kind since. He shoots Hornaday critical defense, and has put several hundred rounds through it, sometimes semi autos just need a break in period to work off the rough edges.

It isn't so that every manufacturer shoots every gun they build...there is only one manufacturer that fires and zeroes every pistol they build, and that is HK. I haven't gotten a spent case with a new gun in years....that's cause most new guns are not fired. The HK I currently have I did not buy new.
I think I should amend what I said about HK being the only one that fires every gun...I would imagine that the higher end 1911 builders fire their guns 100% too. But companies like Taurus, S&W, Glock, Springfield, Beretta, Sig etc. absolutely do not.

I took the gun to the range tonight, absolutely could NOT wait to see if it was fixed or not.
I got good news; it's a keeper!! Shoots great now, no malfunctions, as accurate as any little gun in that category. I'm pleased because Taurus gave me A+++ service, and in real quick fashion. I am a person that truly appreciates good service like this, and someday I will prolly buy another Taurus because of it.
I too had a 709 Slim...great gun...never had any malfunction with any ammo I put in that thing. It was a great carry gun.
I have had some interest in the Taurus gen 2 PT111....looks like a great carry gun, it's very comfortable in the hand, I held one but did not fire it.

It isn't so that every manufacturer shoots every gun they build...there is only one manufacturer that fires and zeroes every pistol they build, and that is HK. I haven't gotten a spent case with a new gun in years....that's cause most new guns are not fired.

Huh? Build a gun and not test fire it? No, every gun made and sold is fired at least once. Does that mean it gets a whole cylinder or mag run thru it? Probably not.
Because of some goofy laws back east, all handguns sold in the last several years (at least 2005, if not farther back) do come with one fired casing. It's for those states that require it for "licensing". Living in Ohio is probably the reason you don't get the fired casing with your guns. The State has them.

It would seem ALL subcompacts (Pocket pistols, Mouse guns) just cant withstand high volume fire. Ive seen more small picket pistols suffer catastrophic failure than standard sized pistols.

I will say this, I do back Taurus.
I own upwards of 5-6 of their firearms and have never had anything "just break".
Many rounds put down their pipes and still none of these issues.
I do clean my firearms quite well though.. In a lot of the stories i hear.. Maintenance isn't a high priority for some, a contributing factor perhaps?

Huh? Build a gun and not test fire it? No, every gun made and sold is fired at least once. Does that mean it gets a whole cylinder or mag run thru it? Probably not.
Because of some goofy laws back east, all handguns sold in the last several years (at least 2005, if not farther back) do come with one fired casing. It's for those states that require it for "licensing". Living in Ohio is probably the reason you don't get the fired casing with your guns. The State has them.

Not anymore, those laws are no longer being enforced and most manufactures are not collecting and shipping the cases with guns.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews