JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What I can definitively say about my statement is this: Taurus DOES NOT fire every gun. When I made arrangements to send this TCP in, I asked that exact question. Random test firing is all that happens, far from 100%.
Sig Sauer: DOES NOT fire every gun. I had a P238 that had FTE's right off the bat. I asked the Sig guy if they fire every gun, no they do not. Again, random test firing happens. He said the ONLY guns they test fire 100% and verify for accuracy are the ones that go to the govt agencies like the ATF, or the Border Patrol....those weapons are thoroughly tested out. But the Sig you get at the gun shop may or may bot have been fired...that's just how it is.
I have to place a call to Beretta tomorrow anyway....I will verify whether they shoot 100% or not....I am nearly certain they do not.

What I can definitively say about my statement is this: Taurus DOES NOT fire every gun. When I made arrangements to send this TCP in, I asked that exact question. Random test firing is all that happens, far from 100%.
Sig Sauer: DOES NOT fire every gun. I had a P238 that had FTE's right off the bat. I asked the Sig guy if they fire every gun, no they do not. Again, random test firing happens. He said the ONLY guns they test fire 100% and verify for accuracy are the ones that go to the govt agencies like the ATF, or the Border Patrol....those weapons are thoroughly tested out. But the Sig you get at the gun shop may or may bot have been fired...that's just how it is.
I have to place a call to Beretta tomorrow anyway....I will verify whether they shoot 100% or not....I am nearly certain they do not.

I gotta say that this really pisses me off. Where do these guys get off placing law enforcement
& gov't weapons above those that are gonna be citizen owned?

I gotta say that this really pisses me off. Where do these guys get off placing law enforcement
& gov't weapons above those that are gonna be citizen owned?

I'm sure it's part of the LEO/Govt. testing protocol required in contracts by specific departments.

But really would you trust a gun more that has had a magazine of ammo through it, over one you've verified reliable by putting hundreds or rounds through?

A lot of gun companies still test fire.

nilldeserthills, contract negotiation, that's where.

HKUSP40, i'm curious myself about the answer for Beretta, i've had the 92fs for years, dang thing has *never* failed anything, and i went to town on it. Picking up an XDS tomorrow, i was looking forward to the spent brass, i guess not :)

Interesting read. I was always under the impression that all firearms had to be tested.

Makes those companies that do 100% test for function worth the extra funds.

I wonder now about Glock.

I am going to make it my mission for tomorrow to find out from ALL these places who tests every gun and who doesn't. I will update this thread tomorrow. I think it's a totally valid question to ask them. I will call Glock, S&W, Beretta, and Ruger.

That's great, and perhaps also worth enquiring as to different guns as well? (pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun etc.)

I got ahold of two manufacturers today, Glock and Beretta. The others had me on hold so long I hung up.
Beretta puts two mags through every pistol they build.
Glock puts 7 rounds through every gun. Why 7?? I have no idea.

Well, i went to pick up my Springfield tonight, it had a packet inside with test data written on the outside, it feels like a spent cartridge inside (didn't open it because the dang thing is on a day wait :( )

OK, here's my two bits worth. I have read ranting posts about just about every handgun and rifle made. It is quite possible, out of all the handguns being manufactured and purchased at levels not seen since WWII, that there will be a few that get out and fail to function. Get a back-up piece. That is what they are for. I have read one nasty post elsewhere about the Remington 1911R1. The rest of what I have read about the gun is pretty fair and objective, overall a good firearm. I have heard that Kimber has put some plastic guide rods in some of their 1911's. A feature I abhore, especially for the price they ask. I have two Taurus handguns, both I bought used. The first, a revolver in .357 Mag, was taken apart by the previous owner, and some small parts were missing. I went to the Taurus website and determined what I needed, and ordered the parts directly from Taurus. It took six months for them to get the parts from Brazil. I purchased a PT911 used, and wanted spare mags for it. Again, ordered the mags from Taurus in Miami, and it took six months to get THEM from Brazil. The guns function fine, but if you need to get parts for them, you may as well buy another carry pistol to get you by. Do a little research before you purchase a handgun. I have a feeling that your TCP 380 won't be back any time soon. You may get a brand new pistol instead.

I did read the quote. You have a pistol, a TCP 380, that you call a heap. Obviously a malfunctioning firearm. Brand new. Here is my point, my friend. Anything that is mechanical and made by the hand of man is not perfect. It will malfunction at some point. Perhaps right off the assembly line, perhaps sometime in the future, it will malfunction. Most large scale manufacturing does it's very best to assure quality of their products, but there is no economical way for them to test every single unit of product that comes out of the factory. Like I said, I wish you all the best in your dealings with Taurus. I hope your pistol does not languish in a repair state too long.

They had the gun less than 3 weeks, fixed it, and it's perfect. Your statement that you think I'll be waiting forever to get my gun back was posted well after I already let everybody know I had the gun back.
No biggie.

They had the gun less than 3 weeks, fixed it, and it's perfect. Your statement that you think I'll be waiting forever to get my gun back was posted well after I already let everybody know I had the gun back.
No biggie.
My bad, I should've read this a bit closer. Still, I notice Taurus changes models and specs on firearms more so than most other gun makers. The PT911 I have was made only one year. It is a bit smaller and lighter than the PT92. Same for the 637 revolver. Not made anymore, and if you need parts for discontinued models, it takes forever to get them. Like I said, I repaired the revolver myself, and it took six months to get the parts. Imagine if it were in a gunsmiths shop. I'm not slamming the Taurus, they make pretty good firearms, but for the stated reasons, I am shying away from them.

I have owned a TCP .380 which was flawless with Hornaday ammo, and a PT22 (bought it used) with a bad firing pin...sent it to Taurus and it was repaired for free, and returned to me within 2 weeks. Great customer service!

I have owned a TCP .380 which was flawless with Hornaday ammo, and a PT22 (bought it used) with a bad firing pin...sent it to Taurus and it was repaired for free, and returned to me within 2 weeks. Great customer service!

I envision a somewhat different version of Great Service, it works like this:
The item you buy with your hard-earned money is actually fully tested & functional, right out of the package--
Now That is Great Customer Service!

I'm not gonna argue with that, because I agree 100%. And on a gun that's been through 4 revision levels, as the TCP has, the damn thing ought to shoot properly with ZERO problems. But, it didn't, and I'm perfectly happy with how Taurus took care of the repair....which to me does account for something.

I purchased a TCP with serial number ending in D back in September. Eventually got to the range in October and had a few feeding problems that were infrequent enough to avoid concern. However, the second time at the range, I had more feeding problems and then the slide locked. My friend, who is a police officer, was with me and looked at the gun, determining it was likely that the disassembly pin had slightly worked loose. So we reassembled the gun and I continued shooting. A few clips later, the gun fell apart after a shot. Probably the pin had worked loose again, and I was not attentive enough to notice it. At that point, I packed it up and decided it needed a trip to the factory. Taurus has extended its customer service hours to midnight, eastern time. I found that if I called mid day, I could be on hold for over 30 minutes. But if I called around 10pm CT, then they would answer the phone in less than a minute. Their policy is to pay shipping for the first 90 days, so I was emailed a return shipping label. About 5 weeks later, I received a call they were replacing the gun. Apparently they have a panel composed of managers, technicians and of course attorneys, who periodically convene to review problems with guns that might not be able to be safely repaired. Maybe that is why it took so long. The challenge was to find a nearby dealer who would accept the shipment without charging a $50 fee. Another phone call to Taurus to complain and they agreed to reimburse me for the fee. It became irrelevant because the dealer where I first purchased the gun (who is over an hour drive away) agreed to accept it essentially without a fee. So here is my dilemma: The new TCP arrived yesterday, about 8 weeks after I returned it. In the meantime, I purchased a S&W 9mm Shield (which by the way has not ever misfed). I wanted a concealable gun that I had more confidence in. Also, I wanted to use that gun to qualify for my IL CCW class which was during December. I don't really need the TCP any more. I am a little gun shy (pun intended) after all the phone calls, wait, etc. I wouldn't want to do this process again. Do I offer to sell the gun back to the store for a trade-in value while it is new (maybe for store credit?), or just keep it as an extra pocket gun. I paid $229 and received a $30 rebate. I am hoping the wise people on this forum have some advice.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top