JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
<broken link removed>

I call BS on this photo Bill, definitely photoshopped because the sign has no holes in it....:D

It sure makes me mad as HeII when I see the crap people leave!!!:mad::mad::mad:
Only a matter of time. It's a new sign recently put up because of the new 4x4 trails starting right there.

Wasn't a good place to shoot anyway.

If we organize a clean up this summer I'd give a helping hand. If we start making our presence known and help school the not so fortunate with a lack of common sense maybe it would make a dent and help in the long run.

Only a matter of time. It's a new sign recently put up because of the new 4x4 trails starting right there.

Wasn't a good place to shoot anyway.

Just bustin yer chops brother... good on ya for being the eyes in the woods.;)
I wish I had access to the logging roads & pits up here to patrol but the timber companies have em locked up tighter than a knats azz!!! :mad:

Not sure it helps, but After the Great Big fire and flooding we had here in Colorado Springs, The County opened up a new Shooting spot right off the highway. They were very specific when making signage for that area explaining what is and is not legal as well as the general rules and the consequences of not following those rules! To date, the Sheriff's dept has arrested 19 shooters and taken their guns, and several more folks were ticketed and made to attend a county run "Shooters Safety Course" at their own expense! The key is having a regular presence in these areas and a number to call when people see stupid! We stopped in there a few times on the way back home up the mountain, and saw a few stupids doing stupid and called that number, five min later a deputy showed up and ticketed them! One other thing, all along the main highways and secondary roads are big signs saying "NO Shooting, Big fine, Jail time" and a smaller sign listing the legal places to shoot near by! Also has a Web sight and a number you can call for shooting info and safety classes!!! We are a pretty big pro gun state with Open carry ans easy permit CC and every one IS armed, so we had to figure out ways to fix the shooting problems before they got way out of hand! I would thing this would be a great example for you guys up there in the PNW. Signs cost money, but less then an Officer or deputy patrol or a private owner time and trouble and it seems to have really cut down on the damages and vandalisation we used to have!

From what I read weve had sucess with building an approved shooting site at Wolf Creek, maybe thats what the Vancouver crowd needs up there around Larch...?

I was gonna ask next, If you have seen a decrease in Problems after you set up the dedicated shoot areas? Sounds like that might be working out up there, I sure did down here. I also think the location of dedicated areas near main roads for easy access to both the public AND LEO has made a positive change! I have noticed a lot less shooting in the general area where I live, people are not having to drive way out in the boonies now!

I live outside Scappoose with logging roads all around one 75 yards from our house. We have the same problems with trash left behind, broken bottles, targets and shooting too close to homes without a proper backstop. Two neighbors have had house and property hit by idiots shooting into trees or bushes from above. One guy had bullets wizzing by him on his property from our newer city folks neighbors with new guns, no common sense or backstop. My bullets land in large piles of dirt I had brought in for safety. Some people just launch em where ever. Idiots

Yeh the tree shooting has been the cause of a lot of land being closed off to hunters and shooters. You know its wrong with both the lumberjacks and the tree huggers agree. Bullets in trees break chainsaws = pissed off lumberjack and bullets in trees kill trees = sobbing tree hugger. Both = Another reason to hate gun owners.

The few times in the past I've encountered people who were doing dangerous or stupid bubblegum, they didn't take kindly to any polite intervention. That said, many of the times I've found a mess left at an outdoor shooting spot, both here in my very limited time & over the years back east, I'll usually find empty shopping bags near by from one of the large sporting goods retailers or big box stores like Cabelas, Walmart, etc. I've always figured that these guys are likely fairly casual shooters who swing by one of these places to get ammo, clays, etc on their way out to the woods. I'm not suggesting that everyone who buys stuff at these places is like that, heck, I shop those places too. But, those are the places you're going to get more eyeballs & potentially reach more people for a chance to change this kinda stuff. How you get those big companies to work with you & participate in some effort to educate their customers, who may not be aware of safe & legal practices and open to it, I suppose is the challenge. I really don't know......

Most of the shooters out here are honest, safe shooters and I encourage that. I think we really need to stress to our kids and younger shooters and plain inexperienced shooters the importance of gun safety and cleanup. But you will always have those jackweeds that were never educated in gun safety or respect. Same a holes that throw their fast food bags, cigarettes and garbage out their window and think broken glass cool.

Here is my suggestion on the count of some people just don't know. With the sale of new firearms they include a users manual some do have some safety tips like keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and such.

Maybe gun shops could carry a flyer for each gun sold as well as ammo on this flyer could have some common info on shooting in the woods stressing a good back stop and not shooting trees ect. This flyer could also point out designated shooting areas and I know that upsets some people with their secret shooting spot. I know I was kind of bummed when I saw mine posted online but its not my land and I don't own it and if it furthers the cause so be it.

We need more places to shoot with the growing numbers of shooters as well as a set of rules that all shooters should go by. I have yet to meet a jerk at any of the places I shoot. Usually I end up meeting guys who have giving me tannerlite to shoot and let me shoot their hand cannons.

But the flyer could stress the importance of clean up to preserve out shooting places. And not to destroy the property that we share.

There should also be for more information links on the bottom of the page such as a link here to a page on gun safety and educate and other forums and phone numbers to call if someone see someone making a mess.

It is a dangerous thing to tell some people they are doing wrong if they are a jerk so caution should always be used.

This flyer should be available here as well as other places as a pdf to print that any one could take along and hand out. Maybe they know someone who just got a gun or has had one .

What would be cool is if there was a way to put together a new shooter clinic like a hunters safety class where new shooters could get some safety instruction and ask questions and find resources for more advanced training. But lets face it many new gun owners own guns because obummer said he was going to ban them now that they have them they may want to shoot them .

I myself would be happy to teach something like this because I like to know others are safe with guns.

Not sure it helps, but After the Great Big fire and flooding we had here in Colorado Springs, The County opened up a new Shooting spot right off the highway. They were very specific when making signage for that area explaining what is and is not legal as well as the general rules and the consequences of not following those rules! To date, the Sheriff's dept has arrested 19 shooters and taken their guns, and several more folks were ticketed and made to attend a county run "Shooters Safety Course" at their own expense! The key is having a regular presence in these areas and a number to call when people see stupid! We stopped in there a few times on the way back home up the mountain, and saw a few stupids doing stupid and called that number, five min later a deputy showed up and ticketed them! One other thing, all along the main highways and secondary roads are big signs saying "NO Shooting, Big fine, Jail time" and a smaller sign listing the legal places to shoot near by! Also has a Web sight and a number you can call for shooting info and safety classes!!! We are a pretty big pro gun state with Open carry ans easy permit CC and every one IS armed, so we had to figure out ways to fix the shooting problems before they got way out of hand! I would thing this would be a great example for you guys up there in the PNW. Signs cost money, but less then an Officer or deputy patrol or a private owner time and trouble and it seems to have really cut down on the damages and vandalisation we used to have!
Wow! It shows a much larger involvement on behalf of the Sheriff's department. We need more of that. Sounds like they are very aggressive in their efforts. I love the signage ideas!

Our shooting lane development, by Oregon Dept of Forestry in Tillamook State Forest, has proven real good so far. We have NWFA members there all the time and reporting back as to the conditions. Small amounts of trash left behind. So far so good, however, as it becomes more well known, I fear it may turn for the worse. But like it's been said, the more of us who are out there watching, the better it will be.

Sure appreciate your input! Thanks!

Bill

From what I read weve had sucess with building an approved shooting site at Wolf Creek, maybe thats what the Vancouver crowd needs up there around Larch...?
I'm still working on DNR to give it some serious consideration, but, no interest so far. Our local DNR folks cannot make any of those decisions. Olympia DNR held meetings this past spring/summer and that idea was thrown out there. They said they would give our ideas further thought after the fire season, however, we haven't heard one thing.

I think those round table discussions were just a 'make you feel good' type thing and they most likely have their own ideas on what they'll do. I suspect it's nothing. We'll see.

I'm still going to press the issue to DNR about developing fire safe, legal shooting lanes but not to shut down the whole forest. The developed places are more of an encouragement for better places to shoot and those are the spots that will get used and taken care of.

The few times in the past I've encountered people who were doing dangerous or stupid bubblegum, they didn't take kindly to any polite intervention. That said, many of the times I've found a mess left at an outdoor shooting spot, both here in my very limited time & over the years back east, I'll usually find empty shopping bags near by from one of the large sporting goods retailers or big box stores like Cabelas, Walmart, etc. I've always figured that these guys are likely fairly casual shooters who swing by one of these places to get ammo, clays, etc on their way out to the woods. I'm not suggesting that everyone who buys stuff at these places is like that, heck, I shop those places too. But, those are the places you're going to get more eyeballs & potentially reach more people for a chance to change this kinda stuff. How you get those big companies to work with you & participate in some effort to educate their customers, who may not be aware of safe & legal practices and open to it, I suppose is the challenge. I really don't know......
That is true! More people see the message at the larger outlets. I've distributed 1000 target shooting brochures around Clark County and the biggest movers of that brochure have been Sportsman's Warehouse and all 3 Bi-Mart stores. A close 2nd are the small convience stores closest to the Forest access points.

Too bad I'm all out of brochures now, but there are still a few in most of the stores! Perhaps I can do it again soon. Consistency and Top Of Mind awareness is key!

Bill

Here is my suggestion on the count of some people just don't know. With the sale of new firearms they include a users manual some do have some safety tips like keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and such.

Maybe gun shops could carry a flyer for each gun sold as well as ammo on this flyer could have some common info on shooting in the woods stressing a good back stop and not shooting trees ect. This flyer could also point out designated shooting areas and I know that upsets some people with their secret shooting spot. I know I was kind of bummed when I saw mine posted online but its not my land and I don't own it and if it furthers the cause so be it.

We need more places to shoot with the growing numbers of shooters as well as a set of rules that all shooters should go by. I have yet to meet a jerk at any of the places I shoot. Usually I end up meeting guys who have giving me tannerlite to shoot and let me shoot their hand cannons.

But the flyer could stress the importance of clean up to preserve out shooting places. And not to destroy the property that we share.

There should also be for more information links on the bottom of the page such as a link here to a page on gun safety and educate and other forums and phone numbers to call if someone see someone making a mess.

It is a dangerous thing to tell some people they are doing wrong if they are a jerk so caution should always be used.

This flyer should be available here as well as other places as a pdf to print that any one could take along and hand out. Maybe they know someone who just got a gun or has had one .

What would be cool is if there was a way to put together a new shooter clinic like a hunters safety class where new shooters could get some safety instruction and ask questions and find resources for more advanced training. But lets face it many new gun owners own guns because obummer said he was going to ban them now that they have them they may want to shoot them .

I myself would be happy to teach something like this because I like to know others are safe with guns.

Okay then... This one had Clackamas County Dump Stoppers listed as a Co-Sponsor. Happy printing! This spring we plan to raise funds to print 2000 to 5000 and flood all the gun shops and outdoor stores surrounding Mt Hood Nat Forest. I plan to do Clark County again with another 1000 and we'd like to see a blitz to benefit Tillamook State Forest.

Good thoughts and ideas, eldbillbo! Thanks!

Dump Stoppers: Dropbox - TNL Shooting brochure Dump Stoppers.pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7hd7vewwn8a70dy/TNL Shooting brochure Dump Stoppers.pdf?dl=0
List of printable brochures at: Shooting Brochure

That is true! More people see the message at the larger outlets. I've distributed 1000 target shooting brochures around Clark County and the biggest movers of that brochure have been Sportsman's Warehouse and all 3 Bi-Mart stores. A close 2nd are the small convience stores closest to the Forest access points.

Too bad I'm all out of brochures now, but there are still a few in most of the stores! Perhaps I can do it again soon. Consistency and Top Of Mind awareness is key!

Bill

With black Friday and the shopping season coming up, I bet it would be a good time to get more out there.
If you need a couple extra hands/legs in the Portland area, let me know.

When you meet with the Officials in Both states to raise concerns, do what was done down here, use the fire risks to strengthen your positions! Shooting stuff increases the risks of starting a serious fire, and so use that to help get the word through thick skulls! We had a bit of a fight initially here, but once the Sheriff's offices got involved, minds were changed for the good of all! The best part is the community co sponsored the signage with C.D.O.T. installing and maintaining the signs, the counties paying a part of that and the public through donations both private and business that benefit sales from shooting! It's a win win for all involved! The signage points out the designated shooting site's, and business increase sales close to those sights, they are working on a clean up kit for sale cheap, and will accept garbage if returned to the P.O.S. at no charge! They are also working on on sight garbage collection, but it's a battle to get any one to commit especially as the costs are pretty steep. I did hear a few guys with dump trucks volunteer to pick up the trash containers, but no one would except the garbage at even a reduced rate! So not every one is on board with helping the community, but I think a shame campaign might change that!

When you meet with the Officials in Both states to raise concerns, do what was done down here, use the fire risks to strengthen your positions! Shooting stuff increases the risks of starting a serious fire, and so use that to help get the word through thick skulls! We had a bit of a fight initially here, but once the Sheriff's offices got involved, minds were changed for the good of all! The best part is the community co sponsored the signage with C.D.O.T. installing and maintaining the signs, the counties paying a part of that and the public through donations both private and business that benefit sales from shooting! It's a win win for all involved! The signage points out the designated shooting site's, and business increase sales close to those sights, they are working on a clean up kit for sale cheap, and will accept garbage if returned to the P.O.S. at no charge! They are also working on on sight garbage collection, but it's a battle to get any one to commit especially as the costs are pretty steep. I did hear a few guys with dump trucks volunteer to pick up the trash containers, but no one would except the garbage at even a reduced rate! So not every one is on board with helping the community, but I think a shame campaign might change that!
Exactly how Tillamook State Forest officials presented the idea to ODF... Primary reason was in the name of Fire Prevention. The super heated fragments of steel jacket and copper bullets are more prone to be hotter fragments than lead. When they land in the dry tinder grass, they can smolder for quite some time before ignition. Here, it's dirt. No dry grass. Still, fire safety gear is a must in the fire season.

Here's one of the long lanes which includes a pistol berm:
After Party 8-27-16 5.jpg

And one of the short pistol lanes:
site1finished.jpg

There are 2 short lanes and 2 longer lanes. Each lane has a map of the lane and is highlighted outside the lanes as no targeting areas (like a golf course shows a map of the hole). Each sign has rules posted and other shooting info.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top