JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like that a lot, Those signs are awesome. Very clear and easy to see and use, I like the way the lanes are set up ( except the cement backstop) and can see it well suited to easy maintenance and cleanup! I wish ours were as nice looking as those, but ours was built after a major forest fire, so no green, and no shade, but the fire risk is down some what Because there is nothing left to burn!:(:(:( Nice work to All of You, well done folks! I'm afraid I am gonna steel some of your ideas and use them down here ( get the county to do it, LOL) and see what we can improve! It'a better for all to share ( Barney says, Sharing is Caring) LOL:D:D:D If I can do any thing from my end to help, Count me in!!! Gogs, I'm workin on it!

I like that a lot, Those signs are awesome. Very clear and easy to see and use, I like the way the lanes are set up ( except the cement backstop) and can see it well suited to easy maintenance and cleanup! I wish ours were as nice looking as those, but ours was built after a major forest fire, so no green, and no shade, but the fire risk is down some what Because there is nothing left to burn!:(:(:( Nice work to All of You, well done folks! I'm afraid I am gonna steel some of your ideas and use them down here ( get the county to do it, LOL) and see what we can improve! It'a better for all to share ( Barney says, Sharing is Caring) LOL:D:D:D If I can do any thing from my end to help, Count me in!!! Gogs, I'm workin on it!
No, the cement is not the backstop. It's the shooting line. (The short lane pic makes it look weird but it's just a walkway path to get to the shooting line. They are jersey barriers, 2 deep with gravel filled in the middle. About 3 feet thick. Makes for a great table top and steady rest.

We had a few NWFA members help in the ideas for developing these lanes. I don't think they would have turned out so nice with our member's input. They look like a recreation site and are being treated like it as well.

No, the cement is not the backstop. It's the shooting line. (The short lane pic makes it look weird but it's just a walkway path to get to the shooting line. They are jersey barriers, 2 deep with gravel filled in the middle. About 3 feet thick. Makes for a great table top and steady rest.

We had a few NWFA members help in the ideas for developing these lanes. I don't think they would have turned out so nice with our member's input. They look like a recreation site and are being treated like it as well.
I guess the Camera Angle threw me off! My bad! I like that a bunch more now, awesome ideas One and All Ura-Ki likey:D

The sorry state of shooting in Yacolt Burn State Forest on Larch Mntn. This is NOT legal shooting! You'll see why in the photos that follow. This does not promote "Respectable shooting on public land"!

If I catch you, I will turn you in. I have contacts with DNR and I know the rules. You should know them too!

:rolleyes: How can we reach these people? :rolleyes:

NOT COOL Stuff...

We have a lot of education and awareness to do. Somehow, there must be a way to get through to these kind of shooters. Send me some ideas!

Bill

Wow!! The potential for a serious accident was alarming!!

Exactly how Tillamook State Forest officials presented the idea to ODF... Primary reason was in the name of Fire Prevention. The super heated fragments of steel jacket and copper bullets are more prone to be hotter fragments than lead. When they land in the dry tinder grass, they can smolder for quite some time before ignition. Here, it's dirt. No dry grass. Still, fire safety gear is a must in the fire season.

Here's one of the long lanes which includes a pistol berm:
View attachment 324488

And one of the short pistol lanes:
View attachment 324489

There are 2 short lanes and 2 longer lanes. Each lane has a map of the lane and is highlighted outside the lanes as no targeting areas (like a golf course shows a map of the hole). Each sign has rules posted and other shooting info.

Some of those would be nice here in Columbia county. Pisgah Home to Gunners Lake area. Hunters need a good 100 yards sight in. I like making clover leaves...

Great job !!!!

Here is my suggestion on the count of some people just don't know. With the sale of new firearms they include a users manual some do have some safety tips like keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and such.

Maybe gun shops could carry a flyer for each gun sold as well as ammo on this flyer could have some common info on shooting in the woods stressing a good back stop and not shooting trees ect. This flyer could also point out designated shooting areas and I know that upsets some people with their secret shooting spot. I know I was kind of bummed when I saw mine posted online but its not my land and I don't own it and if it furthers the cause so be it.

We need more places to shoot with the growing numbers of shooters as well as a set of rules that all shooters should go by. I have yet to meet a jerk at any of the places I shoot. Usually I end up meeting guys who have giving me tannerlite to shoot and let me shoot their hand cannons.

But the flyer could stress the importance of clean up to preserve out shooting places. And not to destroy the property that we share.

There should also be for more information links on the bottom of the page such as a link here to a page on gun safety and educate and other forums and phone numbers to call if someone see someone making a mess.

It is a dangerous thing to tell some people they are doing wrong if they are a jerk so caution should always be used.

This flyer should be available here as well as other places as a pdf to print that any one could take along and hand out. Maybe they know someone who just got a gun or has had one .

What would be cool is if there was a way to put together a new shooter clinic like a hunters safety class where new shooters could get some safety instruction and ask questions and find resources for more advanced training. But lets face it many new gun owners own guns because obummer said he was going to ban them now that they have them they may want to shoot them .

I myself would be happy to teach something like this because I like to know others are safe with guns.

These are really good ideas, but if there was a free class for new gun purchasers at local gun stores it would really help create awareness about target shooting on public lands... Excellent idea.

All I can do is shake my head. I'd like to say, there are some people that do not need to have guns. People like that, just make the rest of us look bad, because we are grouped as a whole. People like that IS one of the reasons we've been having an ammo shortage. I'd like to say I wish it would go back to normal, but it will never happen. Soon (well in the next 20 years), these types will almost have most of us law abiding types outnumbered. I do fear our right to bear arms is jeopardized every day by inconsiderate malicious types such as these that irresponsibly shoot in OUR woods. Thank god, nobody got shot by these yayhoos and their stray bullets!!!!!!!!

I'm very happy for those of you who are blessed enough to have private land to shoot on and don't need to stoop to the level of shooting where the idiots and lowlifes shoot. I'm not so fortunate, so if any of you are near Springfield and would like to share I would be willing to accept the invitation!

It's the part about: No person shall shoot across, from or along any road, trail or body of water. To me, those targets are along the road and that could be considered shooting along the road. Then, there is no place to shoot from except from right on the road where I took the pic from. Again, shooting from the road. Then, placing targets on trees, stumps and natural resources is not legal.!

Not to say that it was being done safely or that they shouldn't have cleaned up their mess but shooting across a gully like that can be done relatively safely as long as you have a spotter and are being aware of what is going on. However, since they left their crap behind I suspect they weren't being all that safe or considerate.

Not to say that it was being done safely or that they shouldn't have cleaned up their mess but shooting across a gully like that can be done relatively safely as long as you have a spotter and are being aware of what is going on. However, since they left their crap behind I suspect they weren't being all that safe or considerate.

I agree that shooting across a gully can be safe but in this instance there are roads and trails and everything was done incorrectly and unsafe. If they wanted a long distant shot and wanted to shoot across something they should have chosen a different gully. o_O;)

Trying to dial your rifle in or shoot descent groups off the hood of a vehicle is a poor choice. Nice they shot into a bank. But everything else seems wrong to me. A solid bench and bags really let you know what your rifle will do. I get checking zero just please do it safely.

The idea of a spotter, or to simply stop shooting if a vehicle comes sounds good but is flawed as it doesnt include hikers or mtn bikers which can much more easily sneak by the spotter until they are in the line of fire.

Hey guys, quick question regarding shooting clays. This would be trap, not just using them as rifle targets. Frowned upon? Etiquette regarding this? Obviously I always pick up trash and shells but never really known about the clay pieces. Big pieces I've crushed or picked up, never thought much about the ones that are peppered. I was thinking about checking out the wolf creek site, but it doesn't appear to be a great trap spot or one you'd want littered with little orange chunks.

Ive been reading through different threads for the last hour and I just couldn't find anything mentioning clays so I thought I'd ask. Thanks for your help and this forum, guys. New here and it's awesome so far.

Hey guys, quick question regarding shooting clays. This would be trap, not just using them as rifle targets. Frowned upon? Etiquette regarding this? Obviously I always pick up trash and shells but never really known about the clay pieces. Big pieces I've crushed or picked up, never thought much about the ones that are peppered. I was thinking about checking out the wolf creek site, but it doesn't appear to be a great trap spot or one you'd want littered with little orange chunks.

Ive been reading through different threads for the last hour and I just couldn't find anything mentioning clays so I thought I'd ask. Thanks for your help and this forum, guys. New here and it's awesome so far.

I think as long as your using them for trap your fine, using them as rifle and pistol targets they leave a bright speckled orange mess thats as unsightly as leaving shotgun shells around. Flinging them thru the air scatters them pretty good even more when you hit them. You'll get huge bonus points if you use the biodegradable ones.

@Grimm I would second the notion as long as you are using them for the intended purpose you are fine.

I would also make sure that you choose a better gully than the one posted in the pictures. You know one with no roads or trails in the background:oops::)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top