JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Recreational target shooting is okay in Tillamook State Forest. There are some closures so check their web site, (link below or call their main office), before you head out. Keep it clean and have fun!

Report unsafe, irresponsible shooting or resource damage, call the main office number. Once I locate more direct contact numbers, I'll edit them into this post.

Main office phone in Salem 503-945-7200

Target Shooting Rules in Tillamook State Forest
629-025-0040
General Forest Recreation Rules
(9) Target Shooting.
(a) No person shall place targets on live trees or shoot live trees for any purpose.
(b) No person shall shoot across or along any road or trail.
(c) No person shall shoot carelessly, recklessly, or without regard for the safety of any person, or
in a manner that endangers, or is likely to endanger, any person or property.
(d) Persons engaged in target shooting shall remove from State Forest land all shell casings,
targets, and other debris resulting from their use.
(e) No person shall shoot targets other than those commercially manufactured for the specific
purpose of target shooting, except for paper targets privately manufactured by the person or
people engaging in target shooting.
(f) No person shall shoot glass of any kind as a target.
(g) No person shall shoot appliances, furniture or other debris determined to be garbage or refuse
by an enforcing officer.
(h) Target shooting and other shooting related activity will be prohibited from one half hour after
sunset to one half hour before sunrise.

Tillamook State Forest

More information about target shooting on public land:
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/2016-info-booth-tillamook-state-forest.213531/

Last Edited:
Tread Lightly shooting foot.jpg

Thats what gets me about my shooting spot off Salmonberry road..
Guys really will ruin it for all of us.. Its scary to think people as filthy (trash leaving), rude and inconsiderate as them have and use firearms on top of that.

I think education in that area is much needed, a booth there on the weekends nearest the entry or quarry area(s) would help inform those coming to that spot and leaving trash.

Hi ZA. Just let me know when and where you want a clean up crew and we'll make it happen! The booth program, however, may take a little while longer. We've got to get the first one up and running first. Then it should be easy to expand to other forest's.

Also, in the thread; Garbage-garbage-everywhere..., about the Wolf Creek area, I mentioned that I sent an email to the Recreational Mngr at Tillamook State Forest. He should get it Monday. I let him know that we would like to conduct a clean up project and asked for their help with trash bags, disposal, accident insurance and forest parking permits. Once they give the green light, we'll schedule a clean up date for Wolk Creek. Typically, we have had 30-35 people at past clean ups. I like to start with coffee and donuts, and end with a blast of target shooting. It's a lot of fun!

I also inquired about Beaver Dam Pit and Browns Camp Rock Pit as to why they are closed and if we can help get them reopened. We'll see how, and when, they respond.

Bill

Hi ZA. Just let me know when and where you want a clean up crew and we'll make it happen! The booth program, however, may take a little while longer. We've got to get the first one up and running first. Then it should be easy to expand to other forest's.

Also, in the thread; Garbage-garbage-everywhere..., about the Wolf Creek area, I mentioned that I sent an email to the Recreational Mngr at Tillamook State Forest. He should get it Monday. I let him know that we would like to conduct a clean up project and asked for their help with trash bags, disposal, accident insurance and forest parking permits. Once they give the green light, we'll schedule a clean up date for Wolk Creek. Typically, we have had 30-35 people at past clean ups. I like to start with coffee and donuts, and end with a blast of target shooting. It's a lot of fun!

I also inquired about Beaver Dam Pit and Browns Camp Rock Pit as to why they are closed and if we can help get them reopened. We'll see how, and when, they respond.

Bill
Way to go Cogs! Count me in anytime.
Please convo me with anything you need in the way of assistance.

Thats what gets me about my shooting spot off Salmonberry road..
Guys really will ruin it for all of us.. Its scary to think people as filthy (trash leaving), rude and inconsiderate as them have and use firearms on top of that.

I think education in that area is much needed, a booth there on the weekends nearest the entry or quarry area(s) would help inform those coming to that spot and leaving trash.
I was just wondering if any of these sites are still open for target shooting. I know browns camp is closed but are the others still open? Any others would be a welcome bit of info to. I will bring a garbage bags as well to help clean up. Thank you.

Recreational target shooting is okay in Tillamook State Forest. There are some closures so check their web site, (link below or call their main office), before you head out. Keep it clean and have fun!

Report unsafe, irresponsible shooting or resource damage, call the main office number. Once I locate more direct contact numbers, I'll edit them into this post.

Main office phone in Salem 503-945-7200

Target Shooting Rules in Tillamook State Forest
629-025-0040
General Forest Recreation Rules
(9) Target Shooting.
(a) No person shall place targets on live trees or shoot live trees for any purpose.
(b) No person shall shoot across or along any road or trail.
(c) No person shall shoot carelessly, recklessly, or without regard for the safety of any person, or
in a manner that endangers, or is likely to endanger, any person or property.
(d) Persons engaged in target shooting shall remove from State Forest land all shell casings,
targets, and other debris resulting from their use.
(e) No person shall shoot targets other than those commercially manufactured for the specific
purpose of target shooting, except for paper targets privately manufactured by the person or
people engaging in target shooting.
(f) No person shall shoot glass of any kind as a target.
(g) No person shall shoot appliances, furniture or other debris determined to be garbage or refuse
by an enforcing officer.
(h) Target shooting and other shooting related activity will be prohibited from one half hour after
sunset to one half hour before sunrise.

Tillamook State Forest

I was just wondering if any of these sites are still open for target shooting. I know browns camp is closed but are the others still open? Any others would be a welcome bit of info to. I will bring a garbage bags as well to help clean up. Thank you.

Might be best to check with the state forestry office. Otherwise, there is a map link and pics in this thread from a clean up this past spring. Should be several other places around that area. https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/tillamook-state-forest-clean-up.191358/

Thank you. It looks like salmon berry is the closest. I'm bringing my 10 year old son so I'm a bit cautious about that area. I went to browns camp several years ago and it was a very scary afternoon. I usually go up to Mt hood but we didn't get to camp as much as usual. Thanks for the link!

I had some spare time and made a flyer to hand out in the field when/if appropriate. I usually avoid shooting around others but I figure if the situation arose and appropriate this would be a good way to spread the word, print out 3 or 4 copies and put in my shooters kit to hand out. The idea was to keep it simple, one 8x11" page anyone can print out, easy to read and provide some awareness and information to learn more. This is specifically for the Tillamook St. Forest since that is my "stomping grounds" (I could easily edit it for all the BLM lands too..)

What I like about the photo I used is its not an example of a spot that overly trashed (Ive seen worse) so it represents how someone might be tempted to leave a spot if they found it clean when they arrived. Plus, it shows several other violations besides littering like shooting trees, glass and trash... although you cant really notice that but they are there to point out if the conversation arises.

I used an actual photo I took of a spot on Salmonberry and edited it with the word ILLEGAL so its clear what it represents. I almost used a circle/slash icon but I wanted to make it clear that this isnt just unethical, its illegal.

Lastly, I put a NWFA link on it and a NWFA logo. With NWFA permission I can post it here, if not I can remove the logo/links.... also I'm donating this flyer to NWFA so its yours to add to the TSIP or however you want. I also do not know if there is any legalities with distributing the flyer with laws on it associated with NWFA so before I post it here I'd like permission from NWFA. I also realised you guys might already have something but didn't think about that until after, besides I couldn't find anything like that here which gave me the idea in the first place. Attached here is a thumbnail preview... let me know...

Last Edited:
I had some spare time and made a flyer to hand out in the field when/if appropriate. I usually avoid shooting around others but I figure if the situation arose and appropriate this would be a good way to spread the word, print out 3 or 4 copies and put in my shooters kit to hand out. The idea was to keep it simple, one 8x11" page anyone can print out, easy to read and provide some awareness and information to learn more. This is specifically for the Tillamook St. Forest since that is my "stomping grounds" (I could easily edit it for all the BLM lands too..)

What I like about the photo I used is its not an example of a spot that overly trashed (Ive seen worse) so it represents how someone might be tempted to leave a spot if they found it clean when they arrived. Plus, it shows several other violations besides littering like shooting trees, glass and trash... although you cant really notice that but they are there to point out if the conversation arises.

I used an actual photo I took of a spot on Salmonberry and edited it with the word ILLEGAL so its clear what it represents. I almost used a circle/slash icon but I wanted to make it clear that this isnt just unethical, its illegal.

Lastly, I put a NWFA link on it and a NWFA logo. With NWFA permission I can post it here, if not I can remove the logo/links.... also I'm donating this flyer to NWFA so its yours to add to the TSIP or however you want. I also do not know if there is any legalities with distributing the flyer with laws on it associated with NWFA so before I post it here I'd like permission from NWFA. I also realised you guys might already have something but didn't think about that until after, besides I couldn't find anything like that here which gave me the idea in the first place. Attached here is a thumbnail preview... let me know...
Nice! I like your dedication and effort.
I cant see how links would be a bad thing, if anything it shows the forum and Joe are concerned about the law and our public shooting areas. All we want is for shooters to be safe, respectful and responsible..
And to clean their SH** up. :D

I look forward to seeing the flyer on Salmonberry.. Went last week.. So much trash..

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, I don't see how the links could be bad either but was more concerned when I put on the NWFA logo at the last minute... I thought it added a nice touch plus would give the site more traffic from new shooters.

not certain how to bring this thread to NWFA attention, tagging etc. Not certain who owns NWFA or represents the website. Cogs? @Cogs ?

yeah, I don't see how the links could be bad either but was more concerned when I put on the NWFA logo at the last minute... I thought it added a nice touch plus would give the site more traffic from new shooters.

not certain how to bring this thread to NWFA attention, tagging etc. Not certain who owns NWFA or represents the website. Cogs? @Cogs ?

I'm not the owner, only a volunteer that excepted the position of Volunteer Coordinator. Heck, I don't even get paid for doing it! Just something I believe in doing to help do something to make a difference.

Like you, I want to do something about it. Nice move, Koda! I think it looks good. I would suggest that at the bottom, under the logo, you add the NWFA slogan in italics, "Supporting Gun Owners Of The Pacific Northwest". Other than that, it's good to go. Short and sweet. I like it.

I have made one, a while back and edited over time. It's been ready to go for the last few months but not printed yet. It's a 2 sided tri-fold in color on glossy paper. Designed to go to any forest, as the rules are generally the same in most public land, and focused on helping the shooter zero in on safe, legal target shooting on public land with tips, ethics, example photos and general rules. I haven't gone to print with this because it simply costs too much and I can't afford 500 copies at a time. We would be handing out around 30 per weekend if we had them. So, it sits until we can swing it in print.

Cogs

I always take more out than I brought but the problem is the scum bags who bring old TV's and tires junk and then leave it up there . Where ever it is

I'm not the owner, only a volunteer that excepted the position of Volunteer Coordinator. Heck, I don't even get paid for doing it! Just something I believe in doing to help do something to make a difference.

Like you, I want to do something about it. Nice move, Koda! I think it looks good. I would suggest that at the bottom, under the logo, you add the NWFA slogan in italics, "Supporting Gun Owners Of The Pacific Northwest". Other than that, it's good to go. Short and sweet. I like it.

I have made one, a while back and edited over time. It's been ready to go for the last few months but not printed yet. It's a 2 sided tri-fold in color on glossy paper. Designed to go to any forest, as the rules are generally the same in most public land, and focused on helping the shooter zero in on safe, legal target shooting on public land with tips, ethics, example photos and general rules. I haven't gone to print with this because it simply costs too much and I can't afford 500 copies at a time. We would be handing out around 30 per weekend if we had them. So, it sits until we can swing it in print.

Cogs
Thanks for the reply, this truly is a grass roots effort. I've looked around the site and it looks like Joe Link is an administrator and so I will tag @Joe Link to get his permission to use the logo etc., my concerns above. I did some final editing and formatting and added the NWFA slogan you suggested I think it adds a nice touch. Since you estimate about 30 per weekend, if a TSIP booth is ever setup at Salmonberry I'll donate the first 30 copies to give out from my personal home printer even with my tiny expensive ink cartridges. I went into the idea with the mindset like the Russian military designed everything as cheap to produce as possible but highly effective... (think AK47 here).

I've crammed about as much useful information into the page as I could while keeping it at one page, again my idea is this is something anyone can print a few copies at home. My only dilemma is the photo I used isn't the best quality when printed in black and white the bright red letters "ILLEGAL" fade into the photo and the litter doesn't stand out so much... I'll work on that later as I have time. Print this out one in color one in b/w... on the lowest quality (economic) settings and let me know what yall think...

I'm going to go ahead and attach it in full here with the understanding that if NWFA doesn't want to have its logo on it I will edit this post and delete it. My suggestion would be to edit the first post in this thread to make it easy to find for others to download and print, since this is the official sticky thread for the Tillamook st. forest.

Last Edited:
ps: delemma.... I cant upload anything here other than a photo. I did the file in Google Docs and can save it as most document formats.... pdf etc.

printing from the pdf works fine, I tried scanning the print out as a high quality jpg but that didnt work so well with the low quality photo I used it just made all the low quality defects stand out.

the file I attached above is a screen shot of the final work. It prints ok.... but the photo quality in it went out the window. Im bummed I cant present a quality attachment in the proper format and Im out of time today to dink around on the computer anymore...

Im open to ideas how to get a quality copy here thats printable.

Last Edited:
Thanks for the reply, this truly is a grass roots effort. I've looked around the site and it looks like Joe Link is an administrator and so I will tag @Joe Link to get his permission to use the logo etc., my concerns above. I did some final editing and formatting and added the NWFA slogan you suggested I think it adds a nice touch. Since you estimate about 30 per weekend, if a TSIP booth is ever setup at Salmonberry I'll donate the first 30 copies to give out from my personal home printer even with my tiny expensive ink cartridges. I went into the idea with the mindset like the Russian military designed everything as cheap to produce as possible but highly effective... (think AK47 here).

I've crammed about as much useful information into the page as I could while keeping it at one page, again my idea is this is something anyone can print a few copies at home. My only dilemma is the photo I used isn't the best quality when printed in black and white the bright red letters "ILLEGAL" fade into the photo and the litter doesn't stand out so much... I'll work on that later as I have time. Print this out one in color one in b/w... on the lowest quality (economic) settings and let me know what yall think...

I'm going to go ahead and attach it in full here with the understanding that if NWFA doesn't want to have its logo on it I will edit this post and delete it. My suggestion would be to edit the first post in this thread to make it easy to find for others to download and print, since this is the official sticky thread for the Tillamook st. forest.

Thanks for the effort in doing this, as well as asking permission to use our logo.

Grass roots efforts were exactly what I had in mind when I started Northwest Firearms. The goal of our organization is to both initiates these types of campaigns and also offer support to those who wish to do it themselves (the grass roots types). I see far too many organizations who are more worried about who gets credit for what than seeing that their goals are met, which has always seemed counterproductive to me. The NRA and GOA and SAF and everyone else should be working together, not competing.

This is where our motto comes from, 'SUPPORTING GUN OWNERS OF THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST'. We want to be here to do what we can in support, be it something we initiated ourselves or someone else put together. From a place to organize, to advertising, to eventual financial support, this is what we're moving toward.

The only other thing we need on there is a small disclaimer at the bottom (thank attorneys).

This material has been independently created and distributed as a community service. Northwest Firearms logo used with permission.

We don't allow non-image files due to their potential for malicious content. Once it's updated go ahead and send it over, I'll get it uploaded :)

Joe, thanks for the reply. When I get home tonight Ill edit my posts above to delete the attachments, then Ill edit my document with the legal disclaimer and send it to you in a PM. Hopefully I can send pdf files that way, I can send it in any doc format if need be.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top