JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I feel pretty blessed today. I finally got my wife in some camo, up early and out in the woods today.

It was like Christmas morning. We have been married 9 years and this was her first outing. It was a last ditch effort to fill my archery deer tag and we were in a new area. So I had a good idea we would be unsuccessful but I got her into the woods and she had a great time. Success!

Anybody have any relatable stories or words of inspiration to get my wife out there again?

Merry Christmas

in 10 years, I have never ever ever had the desire, nor has she ever expressed any desire... No way.

Glad you guys had a good time, though! How was it not 10 hours of complaining and shivering and inability to navigate terrain and equipment failures and mistrusting your land nav skills and an inability to regulate body temperature??

Nice going. If you two happen to make a habit out of hunting together, you will have one more bond to help hold your relationship close. My wife has her own rifle, bow and other necessary gear and to this day, she has been out two, count 'em two times with me. To her credit though, she'd fish 8 days a week if she had the chance!

Well........I have a photo of my wife wrapped in her sleeping bag.
It has snowed over night, temp is 28f. but the tents warm enough.
She has a cold and if looks could kill they'd be dragging me out in a basket!
She is a good sport though. We've had a lot of fun hunting as a family, when our son was young. With that one exception above!;)

My wife grew up in a hunting family but never hunted until we started dating. Her first year she killed a forked horn- spike. After we were married, she kept right on killing bigger and bigger bucks. In 95 she killed a blacktail with a 20" spread I had that one mounted for her figuring she would likely never kill a bigger one. Ya right! In 96 she killed a 5x6 blacktail buck with a 23" spread. It ranked 53rd in the second edition state record books. So now she has 2 massive bucks on our wall! And I have none. That's what you get when you take your wife hunting. Now my daughter who was born in 98 is taking over where her mom left off.

Last Edited:
I hunted as a kid with Dad, then hunted for a handful of years with a friend. Stopped altogether in 91.
Then I met my wife. She had hunted as a kid with her dad and killed a doe one year. After that, she had not hunted, and rarely touched her rifle.
Shortly after we got together (97) I went on an elk hunting trip with my Dad and an uncle and cousin that came out from Indiana. At her insistence, we started hunting together the next year.
We have hunted together every elk and deer season, except one elk season, since then.
Elk season has become our "family vacation". It works for us!

I have to say, my wife, daughters and daughter in law kill more deer, elk and bear than most of the fellas around these parts and I get remarks and comments all the time from the foresters, game officers and other hunters.
There's not a one of them that won't quarter and pack their own critter either. And any one of them could draw plenty of attention on a crowded dance floor to boot!

The daughter in law was a diehard Vegitarian from the Bay Area when she met my son, and my wife's father had just been murdered by a hand gun and had adverse opinions to firearms of any kind when we met 36 years ago. She started hunting with me our third year together and hasn't looked back, sorry Ben beckerich, but Id run the river with my girl and leave you on the bank!

Keep it up together, I'd bet she'll turn into a great hunting partner, those days are some of the most memorable perhaps you'll ever share, and enjoy together.

Biggest Blacktail I have ever seen was taken by a hunting buddies daughter when she was just 12. We watched it all happen from about 300-350 yards away.

She was sitting in a lawn chair with her back up against an old pump house watching a grove of trees about 75 yards across a grass field. Reading a book. We were much below her walking up the gravel road to the farm house. As we watched this massive buck came out of the grove of trees and walked straight towards her stopping every few yards to taste the air. We discussed if it would be safe for one of us to take the shot and quickly decided that it just wouldn't with them only about 50 yards apart and at that distance, So we waited and watched.

She never looked up from the book or moved that we could see. We talked about shouting to see if we could get her attention again we figured not a good plan. Then as the Buck got to within about 25-30 yards all of a sudden she looked up moved the Thompson Contender Carbine in 7mm-08 her dad had built for her. Pulled the hammer back and fired all as one smooth movement. Seamed like all of a second or two. The buck as she started to move stopped and raised his head to look at her directly head on.

The round hit the buck about 4" below the skull dead center through the backbone. It fell like it had been hit from above with a refrigerator. Not moving a foot.

She immediately ejected the spent case and dropped another round into the chamber and took aim on the buck. She stood there like that until we were up the hill.

We walked to the Buck together and the guy I was hunting with said he had never seen anything like that. How did she do it. She said (and this is the difference between a Boy and a girl) I did it exactly like dad told me to! '

We ran down to the barn got the tractor with the front end bucket. I stopped and grabbed my camera. Back at the Buck we took some nice photos with her About that time her dad showed up (more photos) he then started explaining how to field dress the deer and with her arms up to the shoulder to cut the wind pipe she dressed out the deer as well as any old sage hunter (course she had three of us there to advise. And to hold legs etc.

it took two of us plenty of grunt to lift the massive thing into the bucket. Down to the barn went the beautifully symmetrical 4 point with huge eye guards. Once in the barn we put it on the old grain scale and it showed just over 200lbs! FIELD DRESSED

I ran down to the drug store and got a half dozen 5X7 prints made up (this was back in the days of 1 hour film) I gave her a couple copies of each and its my understanding the next Monday at St Marys School she was the envy of all the boys in her class and held in awe by the girls.

Its my understanding the young lady grew up married a nice guy who she started taking hunting while they were dating. She lost her dad a few years after that but she never lost the memories of her dad teaching her to hunt. I have no doubt her kids will be brought up as deer hunters as well.

Danc. Awesome. Nothing better than having the wifey out hunting with you. I am very fortunate, my wife hunts & fishes with me, my 3 daughters all hunt with me, my son, his wife, my grandkids,{6} and son in~laws. All hunt, trap & fish with me. We enjoy our family time. I enjoy my wifey time, in the great outdoors. P.s I don't hunt with the "guys", I choose the "family". Just my preference.

in 10 years, I have never ever ever had the desire, nor has she ever expressed any desire... No way.

Glad you guys had a good time, though! How was it not 10 hours of complaining and shivering and inability to navigate terrain and equipment failures and mistrusting your land nav skills and an inability to regulate body temperature??
Ben, Ben, Ben. My second amendment brother. You have "BEN" doing it all WRONG. There is nothing better than taking your wife out into the great outdoors playground. My wife & I play Tarzan & Jane, during our hunting trips. You might want to give it a try!! Better than hunting with your "chimps". If you hear a bunch of chest thumping going on in the great outdoors playground, it is not Sasquatch your hearing, but it is a BIGFOOT!. ;)

My wife knocked down her biggest buck in 2012, then missed a dandy last year on the last day. Then shes with me for my biggest to date this season. Awesome memories from top to bottom and for the guys who are lucky to have a spouse who likes to hunt, camp, fish or whatever, then god bless you.

We also have two women family members that elk hunt with us in Hell's Canyon every year. They are all tough as nails with zero complaints in a lot tougher situations than most hunters will see. To each his own, but I am lucky to have them in my camp and in my house.

IMG_0108.JPG

That is great. I have buddies that I've hunted with for years that don't handle that country and weather as well as it sounds like your ladies do.

My wife has been hunting with me for 4 yrs now and I actually enjoy it. and she can shoot pretty good too. on her first yr she got a spike elk and packed half of it out a half mile. she isnt afraid to work. she has had difficulties with deer tho. she has trouble seeing them. I will spot one for her and she wont see it till its running away. this yr she got her first buck, A fork n horn. and she spotted it before I did. she was pretty happy with herself and I was too. I never hunt with the guys any more. I never got much with them anyways, always too hungover to get out of bed LOL. and like someone else said,, The woods are your playground, ;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top