JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm suprised I didn't see this sooner in this thread. You can have yourself a reliable $250 brush gun that with a scope is good out to 200 yards. But if you're just using it in the timber then ya probably don't even need a scope, which a lot people recommend not doing on a sks

I have to ditto this. The thrust of the OP seems to be budget and brush gun. The SKS would leave plenty for a good stockpile of cheap ammo and I'm a big believer in "money is for ammo." There seems to also always be something else a guy wants such as a sling and swivels, maybe a bipod or something.

I just wouldn't start by spending the large part of my budget for the gun and there's nothing wrong with an SKS at all.

Yes the SKS is another good gun for deer, and maybe elk i know there are people who will argue about not using 7.62x39 on a elk but in my opinion it would get he job done just as easily as some of the bigger rounds out there. Shot placement is key.

Most any caliber will kill most any animal as long as you are reasonable with your ranges.
If you want use a 22 on elk,you better be within archery ranges.And be a real good shot*
*NOT ADVISED* but have heard tales of this happening.

7.62X39 should have enough at 200 yards for an elk,with proper placement ,no?

7.62X39 should have enough at 200 yards for an elk,with proper placement ,no?

That caliber is almost identical in size, power and range to a 30-30 which has taken more than its share of big game.

I'd still be up for an SKS on a tight budget because it's in that caliber, the ammo is common and cheap, and you just need some rounds which were legal for hunting for actual hunting. (not full metal jacket.)

I'm pretty stuck on a saiga in 308, the reliability of the action and the range and useability of the cartridge seem like a win win. If I can't find one in my price range I'll have to give an sks some serious thought.
As far as optics, I'm planning on putting a red dot on whatever I get.

Good choice:s0155:

As for red dot scopes i am not a huge fan of them yes there good for close range shots i had one on my ar 10 and it did fine up to 100 yards, but if you get the saiga i would just stick with the iron sights on it they are capable at 100+ yard shots and can be really accurate for being ak style iron sights i would stick with them unless you plan on putting glass on it.

Just my

JP

M67, I agree, which is why I haven't spent money on anything yet. I just started looking into AR's in 6.8 rem, they're a couple hundred dollars more than I have right now, but I feel that I would have a better platform to work with, and more options for down the road. The ammo for them is pricey, but I don't go out plinking very often. I also don't plan on hunting anything larger than deer with it.

I probably should have mentioned in my first post that I tend to change my mind a couple hundred times before I actually buy something.:s0114:

I finally bought a rifle. I ended up spending more than what I had initially planned on, but I'm happy with my choice. I picked up a AR in 6.8 special, it's a plumb crazy lower with a stag upper. I'm taking it out shooting tomorrow. The ammo's not nearly as cheap as 7.62x39, but I don't actually go target shooting that much, and if I do I have a buddy that enjoys re-loading. And now for the obligatory pics.

The cheapie red dot is just on there until I decide what I'm doing for optics.
2012-01-07172246-1.jpg

2012-01-07172233-1.jpg

Nice choice! I just read an article in Guns & Ammo about the 6.8SPC becoming quite popular for hunting AR's. There's a good deal of ammo makers out there making premium hunting ammo for it - shouldn't have any problems dropping deer with it.

I'm tossing around the idea of getting another upper for my own AR, with hunting in mind. While it's perfectly legal to use .223/5.56 in Oregon for big game - it's not really the most ethical or reasonable choice. I've been looking at the 6.8SPC and the 7.62x39 uppers mostly. Not really looking for 200+ yard kills - I'd be much more comfortable taking the shot closer to the animal - within 100 yard or so.

I've also had the itch to try feral hog hunting - which could be done with 5.56 (and I've got plenty of 55 grain JHP's for that).

Get a good mauser in 8mm, suitable for almost anything in north america, an M48 can be had fairly reasonable, and no worries about having enough power.

I have a .243 and a 30-06, both of which are traditional bolt action hunting rifles. The purpose of the AR is for something that can more easily be handled in the brush, and be more fun to take out shooting in the off season.

And to piss of traditional hunters who think its a mortal sin to hunt with any thing but a bolt action rifle. :p

FWIW I did seriously contemplate buying two different bolt guns, the first being the ruger gunsite scout, and the second being the savage 10 FCP SR, both in 308. Both of these would have made great multi purpose deer rifles. I added pictures of both for anybody who hasn't seen them.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPQaWSdJ5PN5tRWQ9oi2iRjY24f0EVVYbbqtKcXzCyfnuqw_Zx.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmEoZTSiM5mn0nYO9JDclQ6YJjIxP0zh8ug3XBzGiXr1kz6Lf9ow.jpg

i dont see the point of having an extended magazine on a HUNTING rifle when the max allowed by law is five rounds. my hunting rifles hold 5 rounds, 270wsm. and 4 rounds .338win.

FWIW I did seriously contemplate buying two different bolt guns, the first being the ruger gunsite scout, and the second being the savage 10 FCP SR, both in 308. Both of these would have made great multi purpose deer rifles. I added pictures of both for anybody who hasn't seen them.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPQaWSdJ5PN5tRWQ9oi2iRjY24f0EVVYbbqtKcXzCyfnuqw_Zx.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmEoZTSiM5mn0nYO9JDclQ6YJjIxP0zh8ug3XBzGiXr1kz6Lf9ow.jpg

I'll only comment on the part of your post that says "to piss off traditional hunters" to say... There are many other traditional hunting rifles besides bolt actions, lever actions are only one of a few. That and to mention that people who do things to "piss people off" need to find something better to do for amusement. Now, if you want to do that (hunt with an AR15) to be somewhat unique or to start conversation, more power to you.:s0155:

I've looked at the Gunsite Scout closely. One of the things I really liked about it was the compact size. After managing a 24" barrel in a blind this past hunting season, I'm sure that I would appreciate a 16" barrel! Ruger also has a 5 round mag available for the Scout.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top