JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just had a thort - Mike - see MY Swede? That's plain and simple linseed oil, not even boiled, wiped on, rubbed in and then and wiped off.

Note, in case I've not mentioned it before, that the wood is MEANT to be proud of the furniture by at least 1mm all over. That's to allow for any dings and dongs accrued over time in service to be regularised by all over sanding a couple of times without having to fit new wood.

The Swedes are the Scots of Scandinavia and are VERY concerned about getting value for money and not throwing stuff away if they can help it.

tac

Just been doing a bunch of reading on various sites of folks asking/answering questions about refinishing/refurbing/cleaning/....I now know how to do everything from a complete refinishing to the point that you wouldn't even recognize it as a military firearm, to doing absolutely nothing.

Realize, all I was looking to do was find something that might gently clean some grunge off the stock. I though it might be nice to see if I could raise some of the small dents up too, maybe. But not sure I want to do that if the steam required would cause other problems.

Mike, the very defined nature of dent-raising using steam keeps it in the are you are operating on. You might care to try it out on a piece of valueless wood first, to see just how much application of heat and pressure you actually need - it's surprisingly little.

tac

Ugh, now I want one again more than ever. That's a great looking rifle you got there. I had originally bought a Swedish Mauser as my first rifle when I was about 18. Should have kept it but didn't. I've wanted to get another lately.

Do you guys know if there was ever a Mannlicher style sporting rifle chambered in 6.5x55?

Envious,
Bryan

Ugh, now I want one again more than ever. That's a great looking rifle you got there. I had originally bought a Swedish Mauser as my first rifle when I was about 18. Should have kept it but didn't. I've wanted to get another lately.

Do you guys know if there was ever a Mannlicher style sporting rifle chambered in 6.5x55?

Envious,
Bryan
There's the carbine model.
Not a true Mannlicher, but similar...
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/757726323

Envious,
Bryan

Ugh...Yeah, the M94. :) I'd like one of those too now. I've been looking at them. Seem to be a fair bit more, and the ones I've been seeing on GB are more money for some pretty rough guns. As evidenced by the one linked by DirectDrive. From reading I learned the right tilted crown, like on the floor plate, indicates a Husqvarna part.

There's a steady stream of m96 rifles on Gun Broker, so, if you got the money, get to watching. I feel like I got lucky with this one. I don't believe it's been shot since the conversion. The barrel is as shiny as new. Ran some patches through it today and nothing but some grease stains the same color as everything I had to clean off other metal parts.

From what I read, the threaded barrel was done post war and was for training purposes when shooting wooden bullets.
They had a wood shredder/shield attached to the muzzle and it prevented sharp splinters from injuring trainee's while firing indoors.
That rifle might just have been used for training and that's why the bore looks so good. You can't mount the bayonet while the flash hider is attached. Also, the front sight hood might have reduced some glare while shooting indoors.

Actually it was pre-WW2, in 1938, when thousands of m/96 were converted to m/38 - the short rifle. This was also the time that Carl Gustaf stopped making them, and Husqvarna took over manufacturing all the long arms.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top