JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anybody effectively swaged a front sight in a 1911 slide using something OTHER than the prescribed swaging tool?

Reason is I am going to be changing the the sights on mine and want to avoid the additional project of fabbing a front sight swaging tool.

I may just have the front of the slide dovetailed and avoid this all together.

Has anybody effectively swaged a front sight in a 1911 slide using something OTHER than the prescribed swaging tool?

Reason is I am going to be changing the the sights on mine and want to avoid the additional project of fabbing a front sight swaging tool.

I may just have the front of the slide dovetailed and avoid this all together.
If you go with a dovetail and call it a day, next time you change sights will be a piece of cake. Just one opinion...

Just checked with my machinist friend and cutting a DT in a stock roundtop slide is not an option as there is not enough 'meat' on a Colt slide.

Already shopping new slide options as we speak!

Not enough meat on a Colt slide???? Guess I've been doing impossible things to Colt slides for years....hmmmmm
No debate - this was from a friend of mine who custom builds muzzleloading rifles and pistols - along with the locks. He is NOT one who typically works on modern guns.

SO is the .124 thickness on the slide enough to cut a dovetail?

Yep I tig welded quite a few of them.
I assume you mean by TIG welding them you mean you have had to weld up shallow cuts & other problems?

As a welder myself I have TIG welded on gun parts as well - due to poor machining, etc. and other issues.

Yep I do have to do repairs like that all the time. I see allot of off center holes in receivers.
Anyhow, The front sights. In the past I put heat dissipation paste all over the front sight. Turn the welder down to 15-20amps. That little stem mushrooms right over in seconds. Have to be careful, doesn't take much heat at all.
I tested it out on some tritium ones also and it never got hot enough to effect them.

I assume you mean by TIG welding them you mean you have had to weld up shallow cuts & other problems?

As a welder myself I have TIG welded on gun parts as well - due to poor machining, etc. and other issues.

I currently do not have a TIG machine but at one time had a Synchrowave 250 with a water cooled torch.

I had some other interesting designs & fixtures as well to facilitate what I did but that was in the past.

Front sight dovetails are quite shallow, custom 1911 gunsmiths have been doing then for over 30 years...most every 1911 production pistol have them as well.

@Velzey is talking about taking a standard tenon type sight and using a welder to set the sight instead using a staking tool...gotta see that.

I've staked front sights in on 1911 slides, and not used any specialty tools. I simply made up a jig to set the front sight in and then laid the slide over it, and blocked the slide in place, and clamped it to hold it steady. Then I used a sharp center punch and a small hammer to stake it inside the slide. Thousands of shots later it's still tight, and working fine.

Front sight dovetails;

20200917_221540-1.jpg

20200917_221648-1.jpg

The Brownells staking tool works well. Years ago I made a similar tool from a set of vice grip pliers, worked well. The Brownells set would make it easy if you can arrange to borrow them.
Now if your looking for a larger front sight dovetailed or welded will likely hold up better than staked.

What I have done on my custom build, used a sharpened screwdriver to gently "split" the little nubbin when in the slide, then used punches of various sizes to flatten. First a punch with a somewhat sharp tip and then i progressed to flat. Worked pretty good but if you have the option to dovetail or tig, thats what I'd do.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top