JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sooner or later they will find a way to make use felons in order to confiscate our firearms, at least those they want to make an example of. At least you will be able to sell your confiscated weapons to help pay the lawyers or buy some smokes at the prison commissary...

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/05/18/supreme-court-makes-major-gun-ruling/

"WASHINGTON (AP) — A unanimous Supreme Court says the government can't prevent a convicted felon who is barred from possessing firearms from trying to sell his guns after they are confiscated by authorities.

600x3692.jpg
This photo taken Friday, Oct. 3, 2014, shows the U.S. Supreme Court in Washington. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

The justices ruled Monday in favor of Tony Henderson, a former U.S. Border Patrol agent arrested and charged with distributing marijuana. He had turned over his collection of 19 firearms to the FBI as a condition of his release.

After pleading guilty, Henderson wanted to sell the weapons to a friend or transfer them to his wife. But lower courts said allowing him to sell them would technically give Henderson possession in violation of the law.

scotus.jpg
Image source: Supreme Court of the United States

The high court said letting a convicted felon transfer possession is permitted as long as the felon has no control over the weapons.
"

I still think nonviolent felons should be allowed to have firearms after their time has been served.

See if you make everyone with guns felons, those with pro firearm ideas cannot vote....

I still think nonviolent felons should be allowed to have firearms after their time has been served.

See if you make everyone with guns felons, those with pro firearm ideas cannot vote....

I'm good with that as long as the punishment fits the crime. The Romans practiced this - punishment was restitution for the crime, and when completed it was wiped clean.

I'm good with that as long as the punishment fits the crime. The Romans practiced this - punishment was restitution for the crime, and when completed it was wiped clean.
Many people forget that. It is beyond me why people think it's ok to send someone to prison and continue to punish them for the rest of their lives. Prison is supposed to afford one an opportunity to repay their debt to society and hopefully reform.
It seems to me that being treated as a felon for life alienates what one document referred to as "certain unalienable Rights".

With the thousands of laws in this country, I would not be surprised to discover that I, at some time, committed a felony unknowingly.

Exactly, with some being felons due to selective enforcement. Some of us on this very forum may become felons in the future when we can't prove we sold guns before sb941 took effect.

It is my unproven belief that in many cases it isn't the first time you do something that you get caught but some where along the way, a person that continues to make dumb mistakes will eventually fail if they try hard enough. A example, rarely is it the case that someone gets drunk the first time and they get stopped for drunk driving but do it often enough and your odds go up astronomically. I try not to do things that are not in my best interest.

My comment specifically said "reform".
People make mistakes. If they didn't murder someone then what is the harm in calling it square after a year in prison.
We teach children to forgive then do the exact opposite in life.
There are done pretty bizarre felonies out there.
For example there is a species of lobster that is common in pet stores all over the country.
This specific lobster happens to be illegal in tacoma. It is also a felony if charged.
Do you get where I'm going with this?

No you assume that just because an individual is let out of prison they have became fair and square with society. I say they aren't and for violent offenders they never will be. I give a lot more allowance for now violent offenders. I believe in the death penalty and for violent offenders it is not used enough.

No you assume that just because an individual is let out of prison they have became fair and square with society. I say they aren't and for violent offenders they never will be. I give a lot more allowance for now violent offenders. I believe in the death penalty and for violent offenders it is not used enough.
Not going to argue with someone that doesn't read previous posts.

Thanks this is a rehash of other posts. Ever watch bait car I bet you think those guys were framed especially when had done it before. Just misunderstood under privileged individuals.

What really surprises me about this ruling, is that it was unanimous. I find it really hard to believe that Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomayor and Kagan went along with this. I really figured that they would use they're progressive liberal super logic to dissent for the sole purpose of trying to keep the confiscated guns out of the hands of us peasants.

After typing the above, I think that this ruling may be a ploy to get us to think that they really believe in upholding the Constitution.

Ray

Last Edited:

I think that if people are allowed to live among the public, they should be able to have guns. If they are so dangerous, then lock them up. Not like they can't get a gun on the black market if they really want one...

I think people should use better judgment in life and not commit the crimes that jeopardize their rights in the first place.

I think people should use better judgment in life and not commit the crimes that jeopardize their rights in the first place.

I agree, and in a perfect world that would be the case for all of us. Unfortunately none of us are perfect, and some will make mistakes. Do we throw away a young man who makes a mistake, even though the crime was non-violent and he has made restitution? Should this person lose all his Constitutional rights forever?

What happens if the state legislature passes an un-Constitutional law illegally restricting your rights? Will you obey and give up your right or will you break the law and become a criminal? This isn't just an exercise - we are entering a time where we will have to make difficult choices regarding freedom.

I wouldn't consider many of the people who break laws today "criminals." There are so many stupid laws today, and more keep being made up. You can be a law-abiding citizen one day, and a criminal the next without changing a thing in your daily routine. What sense does that make? We just need to pick a base set of morals to live by, and stick with it. Don't murder, don't steal, etc... All these additional laws that keep being added on are only to make money for the state. Legislators know they can't stop people from doing things, but figure they might as well make money off of things that people do frequent enough.

Not stopping for police when signaled to do so is felony evading. Even on a bridge.

Touching and officers arm during a traffic stop is felony assault.

There's 2 felony strikes right off the bat.

Is my grandmother a hardened criminal who deserves to have her guns taken away?

Or is she just a sweet old lady who can't hear and always puts her hand on your arm when she talks to you?

As they should have been able to.
It was your property to begin with.
You should have the right to sell your private property tax free.

Odds are if he had X- amount of firearms and was a "gun guy" there will be a firearm or two he retains illegally or in his/her womans/mans name.

Not to mention family heirlooms.
Even if I recieved a felony Ill be damned if the firearms Ive been handed down gonto the gevernment or some stranger. I have the right to ensure it gets passed to another family member.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top