JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After almost pulling the trigger on purchasing a suppressor set-up for my Glock 19, I think I have decided that I would rather do it for a .22 . Both the Ruger 22/45 and Browning Buckmark look very attractive to me, but I'm open to other ideas. So basically, im looking for advice on firearms, suppressor, and everything in between. I live in Bellevue, and I know that West Coast Armory in Issaquah and Bellevue work with suppressors.

So, short version:

1. Possible firearms. I don't like the Walther p-22, but anything else is fair game
2. Suppressor. I'm looking at the Gemtech outback II, and the AAC Pilot 2, but I know there is more out there. Saving money is always preferred
3. Threaded barrels

Yes, I am well aware of the paperwork and fees involved with this process. Thanks guys!

The Ruger Mark 3 with a Tactial Solutions pac-lite upper on it does well. The Walther P22 is one of the least expensive ways to get set up but not the best quality. You may also consider a Ruger charger and have the barrel threaded. Tactical innovaitons has a .22 lr suppressor (that you can disassemble) for $249 retail. I have a friend who purchased one and it works pretty well. We were using 90 grain sub sonic out of an AR-15.

The Ruger Mark 3 with a Tactial Solutions pac-lite upper on it does well.

+1 for the Ruger, but the Buckmark has a swap barrel.
The barrel is the receiver on the Ruger.

Ruger 22/45/Paclite/AAC Pilot is an EXTREMELY light setup.
Reliable function, no need to shoot subsonics, they don't go sonic in the short barrel.
Clean often, shooting cans is a dirty business, but oh so cool.

DIY supressor. can be made cheap, freeze plug baffles, or expensive, milled K's or whatever. then its just the $200 tax stamp and your time and materials.

Looking at the tactical solutions stuff, and it looks very impressive. Leaning towards the Browning Buckmark + Trail-Lite setup, little less hassle then the serialized upper for the Ruger. And their suppressor is on the cheap too. Thanks for the suggestions guys

I recently went down this same path and finally settled on-

-Buckmark camper
-Will get a shorter trail-lite barrel eventually, but my buckmark came with a 5.5" threaded barrel (a little long for keeping HV rounds sub-sonic though)
-Silencerco Sparrow (i paid $435)

The form 4 should hopefully be back any week now as it went out in Feb...

As for the Tacticalsol suppressors, though i'm just starting out and my experience is limited to research thus far, you probably want to read up on the pros/cons of what they offer versus other manufacturers. Looks like they don't disassemble for cleaning, and despite what their site says i wouldn't trust that spraying it with carbon cleaner is really going to keep it from gunking up...

When buying silencers you need to make a list in order of what is desirable to you.

Price
Materials
Weight
Size
Brand
Mount style
Internal design

Example as the quality of materials goes up and the weight goes down price goes up.

I have 2 Outback 2 silencer and like them for their light weight. I did the take down mod to them, which the now come with standard.

I had a Buckmark rifle threaded and it was a very loud host. The heavy open steel bolt hitting the steel barrel was very loud, at least twice as loud as any other host I have. I have heard the Tacsol barrels are quieter, but have not heard one for myself.

My favorite pistol host I have is a Kimber 1911/22 that I had an extension added to the barrel by a local gunsmith.

DSC04446.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The High Standard HD Military was made to accept silencer barrels.
The barrel had holes and the suppressor fit over it.
I'm remembering this from when I saw an ad in Shotgun News for them.
I still kick myself, for not buying one.

Bowers, in Cornelius Oregon makes suppressors.
I know nothing about them, except for seeing some literature.

http://www.subguns.org/

Ruger makes a couple of 22/45 pistols with short barrels and threaded.
Mdls P45GMK3PRRP and P45GMK3RP. I have the PRRP--Burris fastfire sight and a
set of double diamond grip panels from a 1911--sweet! Wanted a can that I could
take apart and clean. Waiting on the paperwork on my Liberty Kodiak TL.

Another thing about suppressors is whether the ability to disassemble it is more important to you than the considerably greater weight and cost compared to a sealed can.

I took the advice of my FFL and went with an SWR Warlock sealed can ($345), and boy am I glad I did. I re-weighed it recently after shooting it for more than a year and cleaning it out only rarely, and found that it had picked up a negligible amount of added mass.

I've cleaned it a few times by soaking in hot water and vinegar, which won't affect the aluminum but loosens the lead and organics.

I was told to expect it to get quieter as the interior got roughed up with use, but surprisingly it seems like it's still getting quieter and quieter the more I shoot it.

I put about 1000rds through mine every week, If i had a sealed can, it would last about 10 weeks (we are talking .22rimfire cans) I realise that I shoot my can more than normal so take my advice with a grain of salt. A SS sparrow is about $400. I have cleaned it of MASSIVE amounts of lead just this week. Put 10K rds through a sealed can and see what kind of paperweight you can make. When I buy a can, I plan on wearing out several guns with it.

I went with a Ruger Mark III with a Tactical Solutions threaded barrel and a Tactical Innovations can. Great fun and it sounds like an air gun with sub-sonic ammo. I also bought a Tactical Solutions threaded barrel for my Ruger 10/22 so I can run the can on it also. The Tactical Innovations can comes apart for cleaning which helps as .22lr is fairly dirty. This may have been my first can but it won't be the last, just wish we didn't have to give the Feds $200 and wait for months for the paperwork to be processed. Have fun! Gary

The High Standard Trophy (22lr) and the Olympic (22 short) that my wife owns are perfect candidates. They already come with a removeable compensator for compitition. A suppressor that was designed for this system could be added or removed from any barrel and installed on any other (she has 3 different length barrels) with just an Allen wrench for the lock. Revove the compensator and mount the suppressor in it's place.

Thought of doing this for her myself.

Vinegar and hot water! It takes out "massive" amounts of gunk, and after it dries more comes out as a gray powder.
Everybody knows that .22LR is dirty; the only question is whether a can has to be opened to clean it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top