JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a suggestion thread. If you like the idea, use the up arrow to the right of the first post to upvote. Suggestions with more votes get higher priority.
Reactions
I was just perusing the classifieds and saw the seller had his phone number on prominent display. Being the inquisitive sort with a background in IT security I simply plugged the number in google and now know this person's real name, current address, and that they have at least one firearm in their house.

Considering I'm no genius and it took me exactly 10 seconds and one search it just seems dangerous in the current times to allow bad actors to have such a tool avaible for whatever purpose they may choose. Couple this with the rise in scammers on the site and it makes me very uncomfortable. Maybe it's placing too many restrictions on less than tech savvy members but I see that as a slight negative compared to anyone's ability to show up to the referenced seller's house and put some stolen guns on the street.

I agree it is a stupid idea to include personal identifying info in any post here. I've seen real life full names, email addys, phone numbers, even street addresses. *shrug* Not really much we can do about that and pattern matching for phone numbers is a bit more complicated than most people think.

Trying to "ban" this is a lot like people who want to pass laws because someone is not able to make good choices. I have to assume anyone selling here is an adult. As an adult they should be able to make adult choices. Don't know how others do it but when I sell I have a burner phone. I keep the phone as an emergency back up. Have had it years. Only time I use it is when I have something to sell. Never listed the number but if some buyer shows interest I would give them that number for text or calls. So if some want to put their main number on the net? :s0092:

NORTHWESTFIREARMS is not going to do anything about this. If it makes you feel better send them a PM that includes their address and Google earth pic of their house. That will get their attention.

Even warning labels don't prevent people from sticking their fingers in meat grinders.
J6014.png

It's a cuber, not a grinder.
And this is a most accurate image.

I quit including a phone number in an ad because I wanted to see what member I was dealing with. Had a couple of flakey dudes that I couldn't leave feedback for because of this.

Still, that's MY choice and having a phone number in an ad may be a benefit for another seller.

I gotta admit, I'm not sure why it's an issue in most cases. "Doxing" the kids call it I think?

Reverse-directories have been around long before Google.

Many records are public. Get a federal license (i.e. i have at least 4 from the FCC), register a business, hell, just get married.
Pluggin' in my name at the least gives the same thing about any (RIP) phone book once did.

I used to use a PO box, but it seemed pointless. I still use a Google voice # when posting publicly. Not that it matters, my numbers come up in a search. Again, kinda like a phone-book.

It doesn't take too clever a person to find just about anyone anywhere.

I figure I should always be prepared for unwanted visitors anyway. ;)

If you lookup my phone # you won't see my name by it. I generally ask that mine be unlisted. It is also a VOIP number too. Beyond that, I can change my number pretty much any time I want. I only give it out when I am setting up a meet with someone via a PM so we can text each other.

I've never liked putting my phone number as a contact on a forum...now I know why. Thanks for the info, OP. I don't know about banning it, but I think the awareness for what type of information people can find out about you from your phone number is great information to pass along.

Aahhh the big question......doesn't bother me to post my information. Believe me you are fooling yourself if you believe your info isn't already out there. Doesn't take any sort of IT genius to find you. (Case and point) my brother is a retired sheriff owns an old flip phone, does not have internet or a computer. Lives in the mountains his phone number is unlisted. Has arrested many REAL BAD people in his career. I had my tablet at his home to help him repair his Traeger, so I put his name in and flew over his house with google earth......He $#%# himself......

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top