JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good Evening Gentlemen (and I use the term loosely!),

My daughter's 12th birthday is next month and I think I would like to get her a good beginner bow. She's very into the "Hunger Games" and keeps talking my ear off about how cool she thinks bows and arrows are. I got my first compound at the age of 11, and even though I never hunted or competed with it, I spent a good amount of time shooting hay bails and plastic deer to develop a decent eye for handling this weapon. I think that this will develop confidence in her ability to protect herself down the road as well as keep her in tune for shooting at targets whether it be an arrow or bullet.

I've done a bit of research but have no idea on where to start. I'm thinking that I want to go a bit more quality than what is lying on the bottom shelf under the holsters and wrist rockets at Bi-Mart (unless those are good for beginners!) but don't want to break the bank on something that is on the wall at fisherman's. I think under $100, but I'm not sure. Also, should I go compound?

I would love to hear your thoughts and thanks in advance!

Well, its over $100, but I would look into a BowTech / Diamond Edge series bows. I bought one for my wife this year as she's pretty petite. They are adjustable and come fully loaded. The one I bought was around $350 out the door.

Definitely over the $100 but a sweet setup for sure. Any thoughts on the used route? I know she probably wouldn't know the difference or really care if it was used. Thanks for the input.

DO NOT GET A BOW FROM A GENERAL SPORTS STORE! Find a bow shop in your area and get her fitted with the right bow. Yes, fitted. And it will cost around $300-500 for a beginner bow. Getting a $100 bow from one of these shops is like going to a department store and getting a toy gun.

If you are anywhere near Tigard go to Archer's Afield. They will have bows for every need and help you choose what is right for you. You can even get her into a group or private lesson to see if it something she really wants to do. I got my wife a private lesson there last year for Christmas.

I picked up a Bear Titan from Amazon for less than $40. My son is 12 and it is a good firt for him. It is durable and has some oomph to it. I recommend it. You will just need to put a nock on the string.

My 9yr old grandson has a Hoyt Trykon Jr. I've got it turned down low right now and he shoots pretty good. Plenty of adjustment as he grows. I got this one for about $260 if I remember correctly.

My 7yr old granddaughter has an Adventureline 2.0 recurve....it's tough for her to shoot right now since she's so little. Mostly she just wants to be included. I think it was about $100

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top