JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This bug has been fixed.
Reactions
I get notifications (under the bell shaped icon) when someone likes or quotes a post I made.

I would like to get the same kind of notifications when someone posts to a thread I started.

I don't want email notifications - I want to see it as a visible notification on the site.

Thanks

This is know as 'watching a thread', which the software is setup to do by default. Take a look at your preferences (it's the top checkbox on the options list). Let me know if it was selected or not :)

It is checked: "Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply..."

What I don't get is an "alert" in the bell shaped icon at the top of the forum page when someone replies to a thread I created, like I do when someone quotes or likes a post I made. That is what I am requesting.

There is an option to get emails when someone replies to a "watched" thread. I don't want that. I have tried that option. I get a bunch of emails, and I don't want that. I want a simple alert when someone replies to a thread I created, like the alert I get when someone likes/quotes a post.

I don't really care to be notified when someone "likes" a post I made - not really useful (except to my ego). Being notified when someone quotes a post is useful, because then I know I should go look at that post and see if I need to reply in turn. That is why I want an "alert" when someone posts to a thread I created - so I know I need to look and see if I need to reply to that post.

Thanks.

That's odd it isn't working that way. A thread should automatically be watched when you create or reply to it, and any activity in a watched thread is supposed to trigger an alert (under the bell menu).

Try this in this thread. Check the tools menu in the thread heading, note whether it says watch or unwatch (and let me know). Then click it to unwatch it if it says watched, then click it again to rewatch it. I'll reply to it and we'll see if you get an alert. Definitely might be some desyncronization somewhere.

Hmm, so that's correct. Are you receiving alerts for this thread? Which computer/device and browser are you using?

@Joe Link Along those lines. I get emails from some threads sometimes still, even though I disabled email notifications as Heretic did because of too many coming in. Only one or two a day though.

Slow morning on the board, so I won't know for awhile.....It didn't bother me so much having one, maybe to emails. Not like it was when the board was really moving and I'd check in in the morning and have 12-20 email notifications!

I just noticed something.

There seems to be a different set of preferences for alerts.

You originally mentioned automatically watching threads preference, but there is a set of preferences for alerts which has a preference"
  • Replies to a watched thread
    Someone replies to a thread you are watching
That was unchecked, so I just checked it and now I am getting alerts for any reply to a watched thread.

That is close enough.

Thanks

I just noticed something.

There seems to be a different set of preferences for alerts.

You originally mentioned automatically watching threads preference, but there is a set of preferences for alerts which has a preference"
  • Replies to a watched thread
    Someone replies to a thread you are watching
That was unchecked, so I just checked it and now I am getting alerts for any reply to a watched thread.

That is close enough.

Thanks

Great! I think we found it. When you start a thread it automatically watches it, which is why you get notifications. Let me know how it goes.

Here is an additional suggestion.

There is a page where I can see my watched threads, but it seems in order to unwatch a thread I have to open that thread, which takes me to the bottom of the thread page, then I have to scroll up to the top of the thread to get to the thread tools to unwatch the thread.

In the list of watched threads, it would be nice to be able to unwatch them there - a check box on each line would work fine.

I'll forward that suggestion onto the software devs, I think it'd be a good idea.

In the meantime, do you have your scroll buttons enabled on the right side of the screen?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top