JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'm looking to get a sub 2000 Gen 2, just for fun. That said I've been realizing that stock is fine, but there's a lot of little upgrades people might like. Interested to know what you guys think.

The ones I've been considering is the Mcarbo flip to side red dot mount, the rubber buffer tube cover, and possibly a rear flip down sight.

One other concern I have is with the flip the side Red Dot mount, any recommendations for a carry/range bag for it, being that it's a little thicker because of the bulge.

Everything goes, love to know your thoughts.

Great little rifles. MUCH maligned and hated on but I LOVE my old Gen1. If I ever manage to wear it out I will be buying a Gen II to replace it. I often carry mine in a bag made for a laptop. No one gives it a second glance.

I also liked my Gen 2 very much. Flawless operation. Very handy and easy to pack. Another of many guns I've asked myself, why did I sell it?

And because the concept is quite perfectly simple, I didn't consider any upgrades. If sight changes are up your alley, go for it, and I'd like to hear the results.

:cool:

Last Edited:
The cheek piece that goes over the tube is nice. As is a larger charging handle. That's about it.

I also liked my Gen 2 very much. Flawless operation. Very handy and easy to pack. Another of many guns I've asked myself, why did I sell it?

And because the concept is quite perfect, I didn't consider any upgrades. If sight changes are up your alley, go for it, and I'd like to hear the results. :cool:
The one thing I have come close to changing on my old one is sights. The cost of some nice ones is over half what I paid for it back then so have never pulled the trigger. One of the NICE changes to the Gen II is FAR better sights. Makes me almost want to work hard to wear out my old one as an excuse to get a new :D
I have long joked KT should send me a shirt or something as I have been responsible for a lot of sales to people I know. These little guns are MUCH hated on but, several people who tried mine went right out and ordered up one for themselves. Certainly not for everyone but they have been a hot selling item for decades now for a reason.

The cheek piece that goes over the tube is nice. As is a larger charging handle. That's about it.
I might add on replacing the sight with the mcarbo flip up one as you mentioned. The factory sight site horribly low.

Alternatively, you could take a drill bit and widen the factory one to make it a little better and much cheaper.

Last Edited:
Watching here as I recently picked up a multi mag version.
The REALLY nice part of that model many do not seem to know is it works with all the mags. It was a hell of an idea when they came out with that. What ever mags its set for when you buy one they will sell you different catches to work with the others. So you end up with a rifle that will work with a few kinds of mags. Another of the really great idea's George came up with over the years. :D

The REALLY nice part of that model many do not seem to know is it works with all the mags. It was a hell of an idea when they came out with that. What ever mags its set for when you buy one they will sell you different catches to work with the others. So you end up with a rifle that will work with a few kinds of mags. Another of the really great idea's George came up with over the years. :D
What do you mean? If I get the Glock 17 sub 2000, that's all it takes, right? Too long for Glock 19 mags, and how would it take others? Or did I miss something?

What do you mean? If I get the Glock 17 sub 2000, that's all it takes, right? Too long for Glock 19 mags, and how would it take others? Or did I miss something?
The multi mag version has different mag catches that lets a person use like 7 different brands/types of mags. The Glock version still only uses Glock mags, I believe the catch is too low for the KelTec design and it requires the whole body to use them.

The multi mag version has different mag catches that lets a person use like 7 different brands/types of mags. The Glock version still only uses Glock mags, I believe the catch is too low for the KelTec design and it requires the whole body to use them.
Yep the Glock version is only Glock. The multi mag its just a matter of installing the correct catch for the mags you want to use. When I bought the original 2 I did, in .40 and 9mm I wanted the multi mag since I did not own a Glock. They were all but impossible to lay hands on back then so I jumped on the 2 made for Glock. After I found out how the 9mm performs in a 16inch tube I sold off the .40 and just kept the 9mm. George has a LOT of haters and he must laugh all the way to the bank at them since everything he makes sells like hot cakes. :D

After discovering that my gen 1 was a carnivore (fing charging handle took a bite out of my trigger finger) I would not allow it to be a cohabitant of my safe. Didn't want the other members of my arsenal picking up bad habits.

Best upgrade would be an AR-9.

Thought about picking up one over the years and I was finally able to actually shoot one recently. Not my cup of tea at all. AR 9 all day long for me! Nice to see there is some aftermarket support for the Sub 2000 though.

They're definitely an acquired taste. I like mine, but wish I had bought one in 9mm instead of .40 S&W.

I let a friend shoot it a while back. He said he'd been thinking about getting one and would like to try it out. He watched me shoulder it and ring steel repeatedly at 100 yards.

He picked it up and tried to shoulder it and get a sight picture. It's a great little rifle for what it is (light and compact), but ergonomic it is not. He tried and tried, and set it down in disgust, proclaiming it completely unusable. I thought that was a bit ironic since he had just saw me using it very effectively.

Love it or hate it, it is a very easy little rifle to fold in half and bring along in a suitcase or back pack. That's what it has going for it.

I would much prefer they produce the CMR30 in a 9mm version (a CMR9?) Visualizing that bolt on the Sub2000 flying back-and-forth so close to my cheek, gives me the shakes.
Does anyone make a fix for that? (the bolt… not my shakes)

I would much prefer they produce the CMR30 in a 9mm version (a CMR9?) Visualizing that bolt on the Sub2000 flying back-and-forth so close to my cheek, gives me the shakes.
Does anyone make a fix for that? (the bolt… not my shakes)
Only in Hollywood, LOL. Blowback operations need moving mass to operate. Try taking the slide off of a Glock and see how well it cycles.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top