JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Damn nice Gun !
Hate the rubber grips. Bought a set of nicer ones. 2 of the screws came out fine , 1 had the bushing come out with the screw , 4th , the screw was so tight the Allen wrench rounded the hole.
So i ordered new screws and bushings from Ruger when i got them , i took a screw to the hardware store , got an easy out type tool and put some PB blaster on the stuck screw and its still stuck.
Any body got an idea ?tempted to just drill it out with my hand drill, i already have a replacement screw and bushing.
Would prefer not to wreck the rubber grip , but it would be pretty easy to cut a slice out of it and expose the head file flats on it and vice grip the bastard out ? Ideas ?

Use the "Dermal" with that pointy stone on it, take the head off through the rounded out hole.
Damn nice Gun !
Hate the rubber grips. Bought a set of nicer ones. 2 of the screws came out fine , 1 had the bushing come out with the screw , 4th , the screw was so tight the Allen wrench rounded the hole.
So i ordered new screws and bushings from Ruger when i got them , i took a screw to the hardware store , got an easy out type tool and put some PB blaster on the stuck screw and its still stuck.
"tempted to just drill it out with my hand drill"
Yes - done this many times, works fine. Just start with a bit bigger than the screw portion, smaller than the head; The head will come off, then change to a smaller bit bearing directly on the threaded screw with your drill in reverse. The screw will come out. Usually the bushing is still usable, but since you already have new ones, may as well replace them all.

As the head will be gone and the screw wasn't seized in the hole, once the heads off, it should be easy to unscrew even with your fingers.

As the head will be gone and the screw wasn't seized in the hole, once the heads off, it should be easy to unscrew even with your fingers.
On my 1911s, the 'head' was never seized. The threads were loctited in. Besides, the threaded portion will generally be flush with the bushing, with little to no room to grip it. If you can, by all means do. It's not hard to back the screw out with a drill in reverse, once the heads off.

Drilled it out saved the bushings and the ugly Rubber grips. One of the bushings still comes out with screw , i might blue lock tight them one day. ..Thanks for the input guys !

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top