JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My .02 is to try out the Smith, only in 4.6" size. I've recently purchased several M&P pistols and have been pretty impressed with them overall. The trigger they come with is the newest model and in my testing, the best stock trigger Smith offers. Plus you don't need big hands like with the Glocks. The Sig is too damn expensive compared to it's competition
I would definitely give the M&P a look too, but note the forums were reporting some issues with the gun when it first came out (don't quite recall the specifics as it was awhile a go). Seems like most new guns have some issue in the beginning when they're first released. But Smith has gotten the bugs worked out, it would definitely be on my short list.

I'd say go with the Springfield XD-M Elite 10mm 4.5" OSP HC model. It's got a really smooth action, the slide pulls real easy and simple, it's got a match grade trigger, ready for a sight and the mags aren't that hard to find.
I got mine from PSA and got a 2 tone one as well from Sportsman's for the wife(bit pricier than I wanted but she liked the look). If you check the forums I did a posting asking about 10mms and which to get. I got a lot of good answers and advice from people.
I believe both PSA and Sportsman's are doing a gear up bundle right now. @kmk1012 I managed to find a Hi-Point 10mm pistol today, didn't think I'd find one for sometime still but got lucky. Yes folks hate them if you want but they work great and the warranty is awesome.

The only ones worth your attention are made by Glock but if you're willing to gamble a bit the Sig 320 XTen seems alright.

If you're looking for a carry/defense 10mm, a match trigger is the last thing you'd want in my opinion.

I decided a 10mm is strictly a woods gun and sold my nicer 10mm semis for the G20. Had a G40 to compare to the Witness Hunter, and the Hunter won in the end. But sold both over time and picked up the G20. I am done.

So one thing I'll note that I took into consideration is non full breach enclosure that some guns have, or as some have have told me, the glock smile(smile shaped portion of the case exposed out of breach). I found this can be dangerous if you are using +p, +p+ loads or accidental over charges as it will likely cause the case to rupture.

Anybody can like anything they want. The OP specifically asked for "other than Glock".

And for the Glock lovers, good for them.:D They are obviously not for everybody.

And that's why of the whole group, I prefer the XD-M.

To each their own... I prefer the dependability and honestly, the grip of the Glock, even if I added the aftermarket barrel. Hands down.
Agreed, I went with the Springfield as my first choice for dependability and comfort. I've never cared for the way glocks feel to me, I'm just not a fan of their grips or the angle they set them at, just doesn't feel comfortable to me.

Best advice I'd say when deciding is find a shop or range that has the ones you're looking at and try them out and see how they feel in your hand.

Last Edited:
Agreed, I went with the Springfield as my first choice for dependability and comfort. I've never cared for the way glocks feel to me, I'm just not a fan or their grips or the angle they set them at, just doesn't feel comfortable to me.

Best advice I'd say when deciding is find a shop or range that has the ones you're looking at and try them out and see how they feel in your hand.
That is the absolute best advice. Go rent a few different 10mm striker fired pistols and see which one likes YOU the best.

I did that when I bought my first pistol, and of all the grips of guns I rented and tried, the Glock fit my hand the best and was most comfortable in my hand. I guess it chose me!

Grip angle, factory texture, grip size, palm swell(or lack there of) or even molded "beaver tail" or lack of all make a huge difference in how the pistol will feel in your hand, allow you to comfortably and securely hold it, and make it a pleasure or not to shoot.

:s0151:

Anybody can like anything they want. The OP specifically asked for "other than Glock".

And for the Glock lovers, good for them.:D They are obviously not for everybody.

And that's why of the whole group, I prefer the XD-M.
I didn't mind the XD pistol's ergonomics that I tested back in the day, except for the very aggressive "texture" on the grip. It was too aggressive for me and made it uncomfortable. Just my personal experience. Glad you found one that works great for you though.

Question for OP: I see you don't want another 1911, but are you against all hammer fired 10mm pistols, or just curious about the striker fired pistols? I personally prefer hammer fired, but do own a few striker fired pistols. There are even some good options out there from the likes of Ruger for a wheel gun in 10mm. Just curious, not trying to derail the conversation.

So one thing I'll note that I took into consideration is non full breach enclosure that some guns have, or as some have have told me, the glock smile(smile shaped portion of the case exposed out of breach). I found this can be dangerous if you are using +p, +p+ loads or accidental over charges as it will likely cause the case to rupture.
Does anyone make +P 10mm ammo?
Case support isnt an issue with SAMMI spec ammo.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top