JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ubiquity seems to be the most alluring thing. Personally, I've only seen issues with Glock mag fed PCC's especially 10mm- despite the mags working just fine in the pistol they were designed for. The single position feed v.s dual position I think is the biggest culprit for the unreliability for feeding and slide lock in PCC's. Seems like the Stribog 30's can be cheaper than Glock mags of equal size, for what its worth. Despite having zero desire for a PCC, the A3's use of AR pattern grips is a great idea.

The amazing thing about Glock mags is that they work at all. In a pistol where the mag is fairly short sure no round stacking issues but if you have ever seen inside one of those clear ETS 30 round mags where the reverse stacking of the rounds is pretty severe its a wonder they function at all. I was having a discussion with someone who was convinced that was a feature because the lines of the mag followed the taper of the cartridge. I'm like you know that the taper of the round is the other way . If it followed the taper of the round the mag would jut out the other way. He wouldnt believe me. They're also much more difficult to load and to my eyes look funny . Colt/Uzi mags are so much easier to load. I mod'd a Colt mag to work in the Stribog and it works fine. I can't believe no one has made a mag sleeve to use Colt pattern mags in one yet.

40EuZk.jpg

The amazing thing about Glock mags is that they work at all. In a pistol where the mag is fairly short sure no round stacking issues but if you have ever seen inside one of those clear ETS 30 round mags where the reverse stacking of the rounds is pretty severe its a wonder they function at all. I was having a discussion with someone who was convinced that was a feature because the lines of the mag followed the taper of the cartridge. I'm like you know that the taper of the round is the other way . If it followed the taper of the round the mag would jut out the other way. He wouldnt believe me. They're also much more difficult to load and to my eyes look funny . Colt/Uzi mags are so much easier to load. I mod'd a Colt mag to work in the Stribog and it works fine. I can't believe no one has made a mag sleeve to use Colt pattern mags in one yet.

View attachment 686210

I wouldn't go that far. I have had better luck with Glock OEM mags than ETS. You really gotta realize what you're comparing, i think ETS is inferior to OEM Glock. I had 10 round ETS mags when i lived in CA and they would mis-stack all the time, possibly due to the internal capacity blocking fins. The 17 rounders I have do it occasionally but not really as much and have had zero issues in the thousandish rounds they probably have had through them. I would also venture a guess that the internal feeding design may have to vary slightly to avoid Glock's voracious legal team. The relatively strong spring pressure and inertia from such a heavy buffer/bolt over rides the Glock mag's follower, which was made for single feed barrels- making them inadequate in SMG's. I've heard mixed things about the Colt SMG mags, never shot one though. They are rather cheap, plentiful and have the proper feeding geometry for alternate fed chamber barrels.

I wouldn't go that far. I have had better luck with Glock OEM mags than ETS. You really gotta realize what you're comparing, i think ETS is inferior to OEM Glock. I had 10 round ETS mags when i lived in CA and they would mis-stack all the time, possibly due to the internal capacity blocking fins. The 17 rounders I have do it occasionally but not really as much and have had zero issues in the thousandish rounds they probably have had through them. I would also venture a guess that the internal feeding design may have to vary slightly to avoid Glock's voracious legal team. The relatively strong spring pressure and inertia from such a heavy buffer/bolt over rides the Glock mag's follower, which was made for single feed barrels- making them inadequate in SMG's. I've heard mixed things about the Colt SMG mags, never shot one though. They are rather cheap, plentiful and have the proper feeding geometry for alternate fed chamber barrels.
I can't imagine that Glock would have any legal claim over a design that is way out of Patent.

I want to get a small 9mm pcc like the stribog or extar, etc for a small stature recoil averse female to use for HD.

What has the lowest recoil of the bunch? I have heard some of you say that rotary delayed blowback is supposed to be the lowest recoil.
Re Extar... I went from the extar to the Stribog. Extar is a very reliable gun. Extar is very light weight which contributes to some of its stronger recoil imo. Extar also has a buffer tube and buffer so no folding stock for compactness (don't know if a law adapter would work with it or not). In contrast the Stribog is 14.75" (I think) long with the brace folded. And that is with an 8" barrel. It fits in my laptop bag with my laptop in it.

Extar for me had an annoying twang and vibration from the buffer spring. Shooting it I would describe as more "harsh" than Stribog and definitely more recoil. Extar was more difficult to get back on target quickly for me. For me trigger is significantly better on Stribog and build quality is way, way better imo. Stribog really wants to run fast. It was designed as a full auto gun and converted to semi auto. 2 shot drills for me are way more accurate and fast than extar. Even when "recoil firing" (I don't use the term "bump" due to its connotations), it is very controllable. Take a look at videos by garand thumb, coillin noir (sp?) and iraqveteran8888 to see some Stribog shooting.

Re mags... for me I've had zero issues so far with the 3 30 round and 1 20 round I have. I think they could be improved if they made with metal mag lips though. I have heard some people mention they have issues with the mags. I know one reviewer was pushing 31 rounds into a new 30 round mag. For me on every semi auto I've ever owned I never fill them to max capacity when new (and yes that includes glock happy stocks ha ha).
Due to the timing of the mag issues I saw on YouTube, I think it's possible that they changed to a stronger mag spring later in production but just a WAG.

One thing I would say is that I am always careful to make sure all rounds are properly seated towards the back when loading (as I do with any magazine actually). It's a double stack, double feed system which is considered a very reliable design for machine guns and sub machine guns.

The roller locked version should be coming out soon which should be smoother yet but similar to what wired said above, I would describe the existing version as smooth. I think a lot of that is from the heavy bolt which sits on top of the barrel and well to the front of the ejection port (ie the mass is up front and on top of the barrel). It is really uncanny how accurate you can be with this gun when shooting multiple targets on 2 shot drills.

Mine has had no malfunctions so far other than a when a got a bad batch of HST ammo which had the red glue/sealant dribbled on the outside of the cases. They shot fine but got stuck in the chamber of both my SIG and Stribog when manually ejecting an unfired round. So that was due to ammo not the guns.

Re glock mag compatible lowers, I thought safety harbor was already producing those? Someone correct me if I'm wrong though as I just saw their videos on them saying they were making them. I don't have any interest in it so I'm not following that.

I've shot the Extar which has a surprisingly harsh recoil. I have a friend with a Skorpion which is a little better but has a lousy trigger and safety. The Stribog has very little recoil but it does have a stiff bolt spring . I've got an MP5k clone and the recoil on it is very mild and if you have the 1450 ish to play with I'd go that route for someone who is very recoil averse but they don't work well with the Korean mags they come with. HK mags work great with them but they're expensive. To be honest even a 9mm AR doesn't have a lot of felt recoil with an 8oz buffer and the Stribog has even less than that.
I don't want to drop $1450 for this person (sister in law), so I guess the mp5k clone is out. I'd say max I want to spend is $1k.

So the stibog is the least recoil available in an under $1k model? Would that be your recommendation for the application I need it for and budget I have available?

I'm surprised to hear the extar has a sharp recoil, it seems everyone else exclaims how docile it is. They probably don't have the comparison catalog of experience that you do.

Thanks again for the help.

Re Extar... I went from the extar to the Stribog. Extar is a very reliable gun. Extar is very light weight which contributes to some of its stronger recoil imo. Extar also has a buffer tube and buffer so no folding stock for compactness (don't know if a law adapter would work with it or not). In contrast the Stribog is 14.75" (I think) long with the brace folded. And that is with an 8" barrel. It fits in my laptop bag with my laptop in it.

Extar for me had an annoying twang and vibration from the buffer spring. Shooting it I would describe as more "harsh" than Stribog and definitely more recoil. Extar was more difficult to get back on target quickly for me. For me trigger is significantly better on Stribog and build quality is way, way better imo. Stribog really wants to run fast. It was designed as a full auto gun and converted to semi auto. 2 shot drills for me are way more accurate and fast than extar. Even when "recoil firing" (I don't use the term "bump" due to its connotations), it is very controllable. Take a look at videos by garand thumb, coillin noir (sp?) and iraqveteran8888 to see some Stribog shooting.

Re mags... for me I've had zero issues so far with the 3 30 round and 1 20 round I have. I think they could be improved if they made with metal mag lips though. I have heard some people mention they have issues with the mags. I know one reviewer was pushing 31 rounds into a new 30 round mag. For me on every semi auto I've ever owned I never fill them to max capacity when new (and yes that includes glock happy stocks ha ha).
Due to the timing of the mag issues I saw on YouTube, I think it's possible that they changed to a stronger mag spring later in production but just a WAG.

One thing I would say is that I am always careful to make sure all rounds are properly seated towards the back when loading (as I do with any magazine actually). It's a double stack, double feed system which is considered a very reliable design for machine guns and sub machine guns.

The roller locked version should be coming out soon which should be smoother yet but similar to what wired said above, I would describe the existing version as smooth. I think a lot of that is from the heavy bolt which sits on top of the barrel and well to the front of the ejection port (ie the mass is up front and on top of the barrel). It is really uncanny how accurate you can be with this gun when shooting multiple targets on 2 shot drills.

Mine has had no malfunctions so far other than a when a got a bad batch of HST ammo which had the red glue/sealant dribbled on the outside of the cases. They shot fine but got stuck in the chamber of both my SIG and Stribog when manually ejecting an unfired round. So that was due to ammo not the guns.

Re glock mag compatible lowers, I thought safety harbor was already producing those? Someone correct me if I'm wrong though as I just saw their videos on them saying they were making them. I don't have any interest in it so I'm not following that.
Thanks for the useful info. Would you recommend someone like me just wait for the roller lock stribog version to come out?

Thanks for the useful info. Would you recommend someone like me just wait for the roller lock stribog version to come out?

If I were close by I'd let you shoot my Stribog. Mild but not HK mild. It has a very light recoil do largely to its very stiff recoil spring. Yeah the roller lock stuff will have a lighter recoil to be sure but its not one of those things that is much of a problem anyway. I don't think the incoming A3 is going to have a price point under a grand. None of these guns have a huge recoil problem anyway . The lightest recoiling being the HK, then the MPX, then the delayed radial CMMG , then the Stribog, The Skorpion, The 9mm AR-15's if set up right, Extar, the NFA PDW at the bottom. All the blowbacks are bolt and spring sensitive and can be tuned to some degree or a lot. In any case with a good brace none of them are really obnoxious in semi.

I would say depends on how important smoothness/reduced recoil is to you. If important than I would say yes wait for A3 version if u don't mind paying the extra $300 for A3 version and the delay.

Normally at this point in the conversation on any new design I would say don't buy a gun until they get the bugs worked out but in this case the A3 is what they have been using in Europe so that may not apply. Are there any changes between the A3 Europe version and the US version? I don't know. If there are differences that would be the place for any potential bugs to pop up. You can probably find out if there are any differences or ask and get your Q answered with accurate info by going to the big Stribog thread on AR15.com. The global ordnance poster there has the most accurate info available imo. I tried posting in that thread one time but ran into a glitch and gave up so I haven't been to that one in a long time. They may have already answered the q about any differences there I dunno.

If I were close by I'd let you shoot my Stribog. Mild but not HK mild. It has a very light recoil do largely to its very stiff recoil spring. Yeah the roller lock stuff will have a lighter recoil to be sure but its not one of those things that is much of a problem anyway. I don't think the incoming A3 is going to have a price point under a grand. None of these guns have a huge recoil problem anyway . The lightest recoiling being the HK, then the MPX, then the delayed radial CMMG , then the Stribog, The Skorpion, The 9mm AR-15's if set up right, Extar, the NFA PDW at the bottom. All the blowbacks are bolt and spring sensitive and can be tuned to some degree or a lot. In any case with a good brace none of them are really obnoxious in semi.
That is pretty much exatctly what I found in researching the recoil of the various guns. Not first hand experience for me, but interesting that ur experiences pretty much jive with all the research I've done. Kudos!

While we're talking recoil, has anyone tried one of these compensator thread protectors? Looks like a neat idea. I tried an ultra cheapo compensator on the Stribog just for giggles and it made recoil much worse. But it was a different design than this little guy.
BEC1B3CA-3BEB-46C1-8895-DF64206407E7.jpeg
3B863826-40C8-4C90-B2EB-25A89405027A.jpeg

Last Edited:
@wired you mentioned the stribog charging handle is stiff. Is there a larger charging handle available that would give a weaker person more purchase?
Yes there is a larger charging handle and depending on when he got it there was an issue with string springs they were incorrect and GO replaced them. He may have that issue my 8 year old cousin can charge mine. He is a boy but still 8

FWIW, my daughter (4'10") loves my Stribog. She's shot it more than I have.
Also FWIW, I don't dislike the pistol at all. The reason I bought it was, I want an SP5. Not that I can't afford it, I could buy one tomorrow.
I don't want to plank down that kind of money for something I can't run F/A. Same reason I don't buy a drum mag for it/them.
I think I'll have more fun with the PCC's and my handguns, when my suppressor gets released. Which was a huge influence for me to get into them.

When PSA releases their clone, that may fester my bug to buy one

Edit
I'll be right up front. Those of you who can run your firearms F/A, I'm envious and jealous as phuck!! LOL
WA State suchs for BS firearm regulations, because our governor and AG is pussified.

Last Edited:
Yes there is a larger charging handle and depending on when he got it there was an issue with string springs they were incorrect and GO replaced them. He may have that issue my 8 year old cousin can charge mine. He is a boy but still 8
I think i have one of the stiffer A3 springs in mine. Its not an issue but the gun is very quiet with the silencer attached. Its never been an issue . As far as I know the only people who have feeding issues with stribogs are running HP or flat nose ammo. It doesnt like some of that stuff. The gun was designed for NATO spec 124 but Ive run everything from 115 white box up to 158 round nose subs in it without issue.

FWIW, my daughter (4'10") loves my Stribog. She's shot it more than I have.
Also FWIW, I don't dislike the pistol at all. The reason I bought it was, I want an SP5. Not that I can't afford it, I could buy one tomorrow.
I don't want to plank down that kind of money for something I can't run F/A. Same reason I don't buy a drum mag for it/them.

When PSA releases their clone, that may fester my bug to buy one

PSA has been floating that thing for a long time. I wouldnt hold my breath. The HK parts market is locked up solid here lately with the proliferation of clones and theres some stuff that unless they make it in house just isnt available.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top