JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Of course you would. You needed the extra body to push it off the road and help you pick the doors after the Mustang smoked your a@@. Then both chicks would get in the Mustang when he came back around so they did not have to walk back to town. Cue the obligatory Ford v Chevy smack now.
CoastRange, that sea salt must be getting to you. Just so you know brother, when it comes to 4x4's I am a die hard Ford man. But cars, hmmm, Chevy. Just so you know the only good mustang is in Nevada. {Mustang Ranch}:D

Not to try to start anything...

67 camaro.jpg

67 camaro.jpg

I have been Ford blue for years. But I did own bowtie in the past. I had a 69 El Camino SS, a 72 Blazer, and a 78 Chev 4x4 short box pick up. I pretty much dig anything muscle car from about 1963 to 1972. I did know a girl who had a 67 Camaro that was...well enough said there.

That wasn't mine, but I had one just like it in 1975.

Mine was stolen from the Jantzen Beach Montgomery Ward Automotive Shop parking lot in 1976. It was found stripped and wrecked in the mountains east of Portland a year later.

There's just enough un-prearranged stuff (actually about the cars) to be interesting. I finish it whenever I channel surf into it. Is the farm truck back in the mix this season?

Cracks me up when the cops come over the horizon with sirens and lights blazing to bust a race. And the racers are able to trailer up and escape. If I were a criminal I'd move there for sure!

Sorta similar (it's about modifying used Detroit iron) but different, I recently stumbled over an episode of Loud n Fast focused on the Pike's Peak hillclimb. Good one, it satisfied a lot of curiosities I've had about the event for decades.

For scoots, I like Cafe Racer TV.

I'd also love to see something about modifying and racing early moonshiner cars, but only up until 1970 or so.

Last Edited:
Yep farm truck will try and get back "on the list".....

I miss Pinks!!!!! I know a lot of those guys were Outlaws... And would like to see more drag racing shows in the future, even the old 50's racing like in John Milners coupe in American Graffiti!!!!!

I was stationed in Colorado Springs in the late 70's and explored Likes Peaks madness. It was so COOL to be a spectator at an event with such prestige, just like going to the annual Gator nationals in Gainesville, Florida!!!! :cool:

I am proud to have grown up in this spectacular era!!!

Last Edited:
I was stationed in Colorado Springs in the late 70's and explored Likes Peaks madness. It was so COOL to be a spectator at an event with such prestige, just like going to the annual Gator nationals in Gainesville, Florida!!!! :cool:

I am proud to have grown up in this spectacular era!!!

I lived and worked in Cornelius from 1978 to 1986, and was in the fire department as well. Cornelius was home to Western States Fire Apparatuos (sp, I know) owed by Ernie Hall. Ernie was one of the few privateers running a Top Fuel dragster. Ernie kept the dragster there at the shop , and when he lit that Rodak up in the shop, you could hear it all over town and every kid in town jumped on their bicycle to come look in the open door of the shop.

Ernie worked over one of the engines in a Ford L9000 fire engine we had, 492 Ford with a 10 speed, , cammed it, 1150 Holley, ported the heads, recurved the distributor, it would haul 2,000 gallons of water at 75 mph.

I got to help him work on that dragster a few times, and to hear it fire up was pretty cool. He raced that up until his death in 1988 in the staging lanes at Seattle International Raceway. He had a painted sign on the back of his haul trailer that said " Only the strong survive", bit the strong was crossed out and rich beside it. Takes over 3 million dollars a year to run a dragster now, no more privateers.

I lived and worked in Cornelius from 1978 to 1986, and was in the fire department as well. Cornelius was home to Western States Fire Apparatuos (sp, I know) owed by Ernie Hall. Ernie was one of the few privateers running a Top Fuel dragster. Ernie kept the dragster there at the shop , and when he lit that Rodak up in the shop, you could hear it all over town and every kid in town jumped on their bicycle to come look in the open door of the shop.

Ernie worked over one of the engines in a Ford L9000 fire engine we had, 492 Ford with a 10 speed, , cammed it, 1150 Holley, ported the heads, recurved the distributor, it would haul 2,000 gallons of water at 75 mph.

I got to help him work on that dragster a few times, and to hear it fire up was pretty cool. He raced that up until his death in 1988 in the staging lanes at Seattle International Raceway. He had a painted sign on the back of his haul trailer that said " Only the strong survive", bit the strong was crossed out and rich beside it. Takes over 3 million dollars a year to run a dragster now, no more privateers.

Ah, Western States. I have fond memories of their classic engine, a Ford L9000 with a front-mount pump. There wasn't a single fire agency in the Willamette Valley that didn't have one at one time (mostly), ours was a 1990 model with a manual transmission, an open-back cab and a brush cage on the front bumper. A firefighter with a short hose on the front bumper, a firefighter with a short hose on the rear deck and the AO and officer in the cab rolling along fighting a brush fire. We could put out a lot of fire with that setup. It was a pain to drive on account of the transmission only having 20,000 miles on it, it wasn't broken in at all. It took some skill to drive it at all, much less drive it well. It took me a few months but I finally mastered it, just before we sold it off because so few could drive it. Lame.

Ah, Western States. I have fond memories of their classic engine, a Ford L9000 with a front-mount pump. There wasn't a single fire agency in the Willamette Valley that didn't have one at one time (mostly),

Oh yeah, old school all the way. They put the 2,000 gallon tanks on the tandem axles to make up for not having tenders in those days. The gas engines ran pretty hot. The mufflers started field fires right under the engine, we had to put a spray valve behind the muffler to put out the fires it started. The Ford L 9000 was a good chassis, they put quite a few on Kenworth CL300's because of the much heavier front ends.

There is still a bunch of them in service, I took some pictures of Smith River CA Fire Districts 1978 Kenworth last month. I am going down there next week, see if I can get some pictures and share with you. I truly love these old engines. My favorite was a 1966 Ford F 600 with the single axle Western States body on it. We also had a 1954 Dodge with that body, it was one of the first ones they built.

Our L9000 went about 48,000 GVW and you felt it on the front end. It was out second out on box alarms, if anybody was sitting in the drivers seat getting ready to make the run and Ernie or his father Gloyd Hall were running across the street, you just got out of the seat and got on the tailboard, they were driving, no questions asked.

There are some great pictures of these and other old engines on Facebook at Oregon Fire Service Museum page.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top