JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"To shorten this out and according to this information. Storing rimfire ammo like 22LR must be contained (air tight) or can also be packed inside a corrugated box suspended 360 with paper fillings to repel humidity and gradually controls the temperature especially when stored in a garage like the pacific northwest weather. Is this correct?"

I have often seen rimfire competitors keep their rimfire ammunition in a cooler instead of a range bag. Since coolers are insulated any temperature changes are mitigated and temperature-sensitive ammunition is kept from another variable that can affect performance.

STORING RIMFIRE AMMO: THE RAVAGES OF TIME AND TRANSPORT

The next two big items that tend to lead to unreliable ammunition are storage time and movement. The chief concern with time is not the propellant or even the primer material at the bottom of the case but the lube surrounding the bullet. Academy Sports' in-house brand Monarch 22LR ammunition has a thin film around the bullet that acts as both a lubricant and a light weather seal. Over time this will dry out and leave your ammunition exposed to ingress by outside air.

Last Edited:
I have long used a bunch of it on the floor in the safes. What will not fit there is put in GI ammo cans more for ease that anything else. Have now and then shot some that was pre internet and never a problem. Few times I have gotten out some stuff that I used to buy at Wally that still had paper price stickers on it. So stuff was from a good long time ago. Always works great.

For me.......

1714024751759.png

Just like with my centerfire ammo.....
"Cool & Dry"

Aloha, Mark

PS.........ROTATE your stock.

I have some thoughts about the longevity of .22 rimfire ammo.

Without any science to support the idea, .22 Rim fire is more cheaply made than center fire. I simply think the manufacturers don't put as much money into priming materials in .22 as they do CF.

In my experience, I don't know that RF is any more or less prone to water penetration than CF. I have seen both that had failed for this reason.

Earlier this year, I bought some salvage 20 ga. slug ammo that had been water damaged. I took the worst looking shell, with lots of corrosion showing on the primer and shell head and it fired right off first time. You can never be sure.

I've got some WW cheapie .22 RF in those little 50 round boxes that I brought with me from another state 37 years ago, they still fire. I think it's important to keep all ammo in a dry atmosphere if at all possible. It might be wise to give .22 RF a priority due to its cheaper construction.

I have had some that got kind of corroded after 20-some-odd years, I just tossed them in the tumbler for a while and they came out looking new and shot just fine.

I have had some that got kind of corroded after 20-some-odd years, I just tossed them in the tumbler for a while and they came out looking new and shot just fine.
I have some ammo I inherited from my father - it all has corrosion on it.

I have some .45 ACP that was stored loose, and it has some corrosion on it. Fortunately it is FMJ so I just shoot it up.

I have a bunch of .22LR and Shorts I bought in 1981-82 I have stored it in 59 cal ammo cans since it was less then two years old. I have added to the stash ever since and have 3+ 50 cal ammo cans packed full of various .22 rimfire ammo. All of it looks just like it did when I put it in the ammo cans. I have pulled some of the oldest stuff out and shot it at the range and had it group just like new ammo at the same distance with the same sight settings.

I have a bunch of .22LR and Shorts I bought in 1981-82 I have stored it in 59 cal ammo cans since it was less then two years old. I have added to the stash ever since and have 3+ 50 cal ammo cans packed full of various .22 rimfire ammo. All of it looks just like it did when I put it in the ammo cans. I have pulled some of the oldest stuff out and shot it at the range and had it group just like new ammo at the same distance with the same sight settings.
I do the same.. sealed and free from moisture do you think the 22LR can take the enclosed garage temperature all year long?
Thanks,

You have to store 22lr? You must not have several kids that enjoy shooting, LOL. We go through LOTS of it. I buy bulk when in sale and they burn through it, keeps the reloading time down for me.

You have to store 22lr? You must not have several kids that enjoy shooting, LOL. We go through LOTS of it. I buy bulk when in sale and they burn through it, keeps the reloading time down for me.
A LOT of people buy it when its on sale and burn it. Every so often we have another great "panic" and the stuff is GONE. The only way to buy it then is be willing to pay whatever the market will allow. As the panic lives on the "market price" can get to scary highs. Since we both LOVE to shoot .22's and we have a LOT of them, I always use to keep around 10 K on hand. Several panics back we had the best one I had seen in my lifetime. It took years to come back to "normal". So after that I doubled and tripled the amount I keep here. Each time I buy a new case I will pull some out and try it to make sure no problems with that lot then add it to the collection. When the next panic hits we can just keep shooting while a LOT of people scream, yell, call it all a conspiracy and and so forth since they so often learned nothing from the shortages before. :s0092:

what is a tumbler on firearm or ammo?

one method we use in machine deburring is a tumbler. its wet process.

View: https://youtu.be/oLzdYMkbv0Q
He probably means a vibratory reloading brass tumbler using either walnut or corncob media. I use a wet tumbler with stainless pins to polish my brass but a vibratory tumbler with corncob media to finish my loaded ammo for a short time to get the case lube off and make them pretty.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top