JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Pretty much like the title implies. I thought I'd bounce it off this diverse group to help form my ideas...

Planning to put a free-standing storage shed in the back yard. 10x10 would be ideal. I've been thinking steel would be an economical way to go because even the bigger ones are pretty cheap. But all the newish displays at Lowes are already showing rust. And in the 2 weeks I've really been looking, ALL of the sheds I see in residential areas are wood, many matching their "parent" houses. Very appealing to Mrs. Teflon.

So metal is out and I'm thinking wood or vinyl will have to be the ticket. But they're EXPEN$IVE, even the smaller ones like 6x8 and 8x8.

I'm busy rehabbing inside the house right now, and I just don't have the inclination to build my own, even though I might save a bit. So I'm hoping some of you guys and gals can point me in the direction of a decent kit, prefab or delivered unit at a price that won't make me sit bolt upright screaming in the middle of the night.

Ideas appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yeah build your own is the only way to go. I've been looking as well. My shed in the house we bought a few years ago is starting to fail. Roof crashing. It will last another year or two but It's not the best. Last summer I adding some supports to limp it along.

I looked at several options not wanting to build myself, and now I'm going to hold off until next year and build a new one myself .

Go to Lowes or Home depot with a pad and a pencil and go sit in one of the buildings you like. Take your tape measure and draw up a set of plans while looking at the inside of the structure. They figure out your list of materials and go buy it. Take it home cut it up and nail it together,

Milsurp mini conex Coolness. On portland craigslist $1200 10×10×8 I think sheeted interiors lockable fork n cable portable. Hell sheet the exterior to match the home
:(what the hell.. No conex pic:(
00U0U_hqRgcqqJM2A_50x50c.jpg

I am almost done with mine. I looked and looked and wanted to just buy one. The pre made sheds are junk. The pricing is also a joke. They state around $3000 for the price of the shed. Then in small print it says paint, windows, doors, vents are all extra, total $5000. I'm about 4, 8 hour work days into mine and almost done. About $2000 into it. I know basic skills but nothing fancy and had no help to build it. I highly suggest save your money spend alittle time and build it.

IMG_6590.JPG

I know it sounds crazy, but I use these brackets to build a 10 x 16 shed with 8 foot high walls and it came out awesome. I can't dig up any pictures right now because this was at my old house that I sold four years ago. These brackets make building the shed super easy and are superstrong. I'm 6'3" and 350 pounds and I could walk on the roof while doing the roofing. Just figure out how big you want your shed, I believe I used to sets of these brackets.
2x4 Basics 7ft W x 6 ft D Barn Roof Shed Kit & Reviews | Wayfair

Also worth noting, almost all of the bad reviews for on this site are because idiots thought that this kit included the wood

Researching this project, I stopped at Home Depot to discover they no longer have that 20' long rack of how-to books and magazines.

Teflon: "Do you guys carry books and magazines anymore?"

Cashier: "What do you need?"

Teflon: "I want to pour a 10x10 pad."

Cashier: "You need a book for THAT???"

Teflon: "I'd probably need a book to operate that cash register of yours too Sparky!"

A lot of people give them away.. the problem is moving them.
check CL
edit, here's one of those crappy metal ones.. people give away nice big pre-built wood ones too.. anyway, good luck

<broken link removed>

I need to rebuild my shed and the cost is giving me anxiety.

But I really want to make it so it's fully functional. I would love to lay a concret pad on that whole side of the house but that would cost too much.

Having big projects and a small bank account sucks.
I have full faith I can do all my projects myself and save a ton of money doing it on my own, problem is, it's still expensive.

Here's a photo of what I want to do. I decent size shed and a port to do some work out of the rain.

IMG_4421.PNG

Check your local and state building codes and zoning. Out here in SW OR USA I believe, (think) you can build a 10x10 without pulling permits. None required if the things does not touch existing structures. No plumbing or wiring.

Just do your own. All of this stuff should be inside your feeble minds eye and no plans or detailed sketches necessary. This is not rocket science. Just some small studs, rafters, siding and perhaps even just a made up pier type foundation.

Design and build sosss a forklift if necessary can just scoop it up and move it around. Or about 8 strong buddies. You can gingerbread it up or just leave it plain Jane. If using salvaged materials the cost can be quite low ... or just time.

When I built mine a few years back I saved a little bit but got exactly what I wanted.
The materials for a 10x12 shed were maybe $100 less than the sheds at HD
So if you're rehabbing you won't be saving anything by the time you're done building the shed and rehabbing again

Looks like vancouver is 120sqft or less you don't need a permit
But in clark county it's 200sqft or less, I would assume if you live in Vanc city limits you would have to abide by the 120 and not the 200sqft?

Is that for the foot print?
What about my idea with the over hang?

Last Edited:
The problem I am finding is that by the time I get done working all day and doing the work my body can take I am still behind the eight ball. Working in my sewer line tonight and have a dozen projects lined up. So is life if you want to accomplish anything.

.Just do your own. All of this stuff should be inside your feeble minds eye and no plans or detailed sketches necessary. This is not rocket science. Just some small studs, rafters, siding and perhaps even just a made up pier type foundation..
yea right.. this doesn't even begin to show the absolute fail of TSOD.. that is still somehow standing

I recently sold a 20' aluminum rear roll up door box off of an older U-Haul truck.
I got 500 bucks for it and the guy paid a ramp style tow truck to move it to his back yard.
He was really happy with the deal.
It was water tight and was previously used to store a Ferrari.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top