JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Although I'm escaping Moldnomah County, it's too bad my new home is still residential - for now. I don't want to be the only guy in the hood with a sh!tty looking shed.

This place should be home for 5 more years until Mrs. Teflon can retire too and we go truly rural. At our next place (hopefully one with 100 clear yards to a hillside and a shooting bench about 20 yards from the coffee maker), I'll drop in a conex box to park all the power tools and a riding mower with a beer gimbal.

Meanwhile, where I am now, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just buy the steel 10x10 shed for $349, screw on some basic siding and glue shingles to the gabled roof at a fraction of the cost I'm seeing for these extravagant wood sheds!

A lot of people give them away.. the problem is moving them.
check CL
edit, here's one of those crappy metal ones.. people give away nice big pre-built wood ones too.. anyway, good luck

<broken link removed>

Took funny, I have one just like that but not as bad. I am going to build a 10x14 this summer with some good help. I'm getting pretty at holding up a shovel & barking orders...;)

I had a 20' shipping container delivered a few years ago when I thought my parents were going to move in with us.

Used once, perfect paint and no damage. $3500 delivered. It will last forever...

If your moving out to the boonies then just have it picked up and delivered with all your stuff in it.

Little spendy but not if you factor in not needing a concrete slab and the amount of useful years it will last.

shurway building center... they have a reasonable kit. They have several locations... I know there is one by the expo center/st. johns area.

That's good to know, thank you. I looked them up yesterday and saw they were in Tri-Cities, so pass.

But will reconsider now if they have a storefront in St. Johns. Might be pretty reasonable since what I'm after is butt-simple. 10x10, a door (and no window - my rototiller doesn't need to look outside).
-----------------------
Later Edit: Thanks again Bassman. Yes, Shur-Way in St. Johns looks good. Not the same thing I saw in Tri-Cities. I'll have to research these guys some more. Nothing fancy, just a decent size place to store a mower, tiller, washer, saws, blower, weed-whips, shovels, etc.

Last Edited:
If you can safely dig in posts, they don't even need to be very deep, you might consider a simple pole building shed. You can either use the ground as the floor or use floor joists to get you up off the ground like standard construction. Pretty easy to do it yourself, and pretty easy to make it look nice too. Either that, or standard construction all the way on building piers. Cost is going to be pretty comparable depending on siding, roofing, paint, door, etc.

I don't use concrete to set my posts, for "fancy" I tamp in minus 3/8" "dirty" gravel (that's what you call it) or just tamp in the dirt that was removed from the hole. Sink them 6" roughly, not the regular 16" like I do for my fence posts. It just keeps the thing anchored to the ground and that's really what you're after.

Look up "pole wood shed" and view the images for some ideas. Also, the 3-4-5 rule will be quite helpful, or 6-8-10 for larger areas. Basically, A squared + B squared = C squared.

Last Edited:
If you can safely dig in posts, they don't even need to be very deep, you might consider a simple pole building shed. You can either use the ground as the floor or use floor joists to get you up off the ground like standard construction. Pretty easy to do it yourself, and pretty easy to make it look nice too. Either that, or standard construction all the way on building piers. Cost is going to be pretty comparable depending on siding, roofing, paint, door, etc.

I don't use concrete to set my posts, for "fancy" I tamp in minus 3/8" "dirty" gravel (that's what you call it) or just tamp in the dirt that was removed from the hole. Sink them 6" roughly, not the regular 16" like I do for my fence posts. It just keeps the thing anchored to the ground and that's really what you're after.

Look up "pole wood shed" and view the images for some ideas. Also, the 3-4-5 rule will be quite helpful, or 6-8-10 for larger areas. Basically, A squared + B squared = C squared.

I like that, but instead of sinking the posts I place a concrete base block that has the brackets for the 4x4's to keep the wood off the ground.

That's how I made the base for a plastic shed we got at Costco years ago and moved it from the front to the back - so I just needed a platform of 8'x8'.

When the shed finally gives out I'll probably put walls and a roof on it with a double door on the front side (it's used for garden tools mostly).

I like that, but instead of sinking the posts I place a concrete base block that has the brackets for the 4x4's to keep the wood off the ground.

That's how I made the base for a plastic shed we got at Costco years ago and moved it from the front to the back - so I just needed a platform of 8'x8'.

When the shed finally gives out I'll probably put walls and a roof on it with a double door on the front side (it's used for garden tools mostly).

I use the green treated posts for my fencing posts and pole building wood shed posts. I gotta tell ya', they last a long time. I yanked my fencing down two years ago and some of those posts were 15 years old and good enough to donate to Habitat for Humanity. When I re-configure my wood shed, the posts are in great shape. Probably because they are basically covered and not exposed like my fence posts. Putting them on building piers will definitely help them last longer, I was just thinking "cheap". :)

Just to reroof my barn is 10k$ or more 3k or even 5k sounds cheap for a shed.
We just reroofed our house 29 squares of 30 year architectural shingles for $5200 The guys did it in 4 days two of which were short days (got chased off by rain) and left me with 6 packages of spare shingles.

Researching this project, I stopped at Home Depot to discover they no longer have that 20' long rack of how-to books and magazines.

Teflon: "Do you guys carry books and magazines anymore?"

Cashier: "What do you need?"

Teflon: "I want to pour a 10x10 pad."

Cashier: "You need a book for THAT???"

Teflon: "I'd probably need a book to operate that cash register of yours too Sparky!"
Whoa now...

Okay, I looked around at sheds, read reviews, priced kits, checked weekend availability of helpful friends with hammers, etc., and I took the easy way out. Had a 10x16 Tuff-Shed installed in one day. A little pricey, but it's done properly, functional, and full of all my shhtuff.

It's across the yard from the house and has no electrical power/light, so I got this gizmo for $32 at Harbor Freight ($40 - 20% coupon). Solar panel is outside, light and hands-free motion sensor are inside above the door. Perfect for rummaging around at night (and daytime since there are no windows). It stays on however long I'm in there and turns off a minute after I leave.

shed light.jpg

Does your Tuff Shed have a couple small numbers stamped on the door lock key that they installed.
If so, Tuff Shed only uses about 8 different key codes and I have three keys from different Tuff Sheds that I used at my rental apartments and one of those keys would open all three of them.
You might want to change the lock cylinder out for one that only you can open with.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top