JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Having some of both is a good idea, along with 10 rd G26 and 15rd G19 magazines, but the nice thing about the 33rd and 17 round magazines is they work in ALL the main 9mm series. The 33rd magazines are the best value (buying one is waaaay cheaper than buying two 17 rd magazines) but are harder to conceal for EDC, doable but harder. That said they are more serious defensive mags. It's good to have a stock of all the different sizes but...which one would you think is best to invest more in and WHY?

17 round mags. They still fit anything (in 9mm of course) and are obviously easier to conceal and pack.

Having shot both with a friends Glock 19....
I would prefer the 17 round magazine...the 33 round magazine didn't balance well for me.

Now if I owned a Glock 18...the 33 rounders would be fun for sure....:D
Andy

One of my wackier creations employed said:

6-jpg.jpg

I've got 8 33 rd mags that fit in a shoulder pouch girl friend has ac G-19 I got a G-17 and a ruger pcc so all three can feed off the 33's.
OW13UYV.jpg

Depends...
17 rounders I consider more practical for "traditional" pistols. Much easier to carry on a person or pack.
33 rounders are useful for fun range time and AR pistols.

YMMV.

Last Edited:
Depends...
17 rounders I consider more practical for pistols. Much easier to carry on a person.
33 rounders are useful for fun range time and AR pistols.
YMMV.

Yup.

As to the OP's q specifically, I wouldn't buy either. Because we don't have any Glocks :D...

Have a bunch of "standard" capacity magazines for all of our handguns, "bonus" capacity magazines for some (28's, 30's etc).

Don't have any "bonus" capacity mags for the Caniks we run.

Might get a few Promag stick mags for them, might not. No real "want" atm, because well,...Promag. We have plenty of OEM 18's & 20's for them.

Depends on how many things one owns that utilize Glock mags. If only pistols, just get the regular mags. If carbines and whatnots, get the 33 rounders.

I have a LOT of the G-17 mags, not sure how many any more. Have at least a dozen or more of the G-18 factory. Don't own a Glock at all but, have many PCC's. All use Glock mags. Right now have 5 PCC's in 9mm alone. As I add more PCC's I keep looking for those that use these mags as makes it easier. Every time CDNN has them on sale I tend to want to grab a couple more. Even on the PCC's I have come to like the G-17 best. Feel more balanced when shooting. The 33's are sure fun to play with though :D

I would have more 17 mags than 33s.

the 33rd mags are a bit funky out of a pistol, but if you have a carbine/AR9, etc then they are the way to go.

But you can't go wrong with a heap of G17 mags
This is probably best way to put it. If you HAD to choose one or the other (I don't) the 17 mags are high capacity but concealable and fit the various double stack models. Luckily I can do both but yeah, will focus more on 17 mags. Thanks.

I absolutely like and have some stick mags. But they make the pistol awkward and not at all concealable. The other issue is reliability. Longer springs might make them less reliable.

And, eggs in basket type of thing. If I'm carrying, say ~100 rounds, I'd like probably ~7 mags, not 3. If one of your stick mags fails, you've lost 1/3rd of your ammo versus a smaller mag failure costs you only 1/7th of your ammo. This is why I don't own or use a single drum mag. Too much ammo in one mag means a catastrophic mag failure can be, well, catastrophic.

I stick with the intended factory sized mags for serious self defense use. I've almost never heard of a self defense shooting requiring more than 10, and generally most are somewhere in the 5 round expenditure.

Sure, there's a role for the stick mags. Assaulting a bunker, defending a foxhole, holding a fixed position, etc. Then again, you probably need a rifle for such things. And my ARs have intended 30 round mags.

Yup.

As to the OP's q specifically, I wouldn't buy either. Because we don't have any Glocks :D...

Have a bunch of "standard" capacity magazines for all of our handguns, "bonus" capacity magazines for some (28's, 30's etc).

Don't have any "bonus" capacity mags for the Caniks we run.

Might get a few Promag stick mags for them, might not. No real "want" atm, because well,...Promag. We have plenty of OEM 18's & 20's for them.
I really want to try one of those Caniks.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top