JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for opinions.

Tape is temporary and can be removed.
Stippling is permanent.

I've ran guns with stippling but have never used the "goon tape" but I see it all over the place now and want to know if it's worth the hype. I can only imagine how gross that tape gets after a few days of concealed carry in the summer.

C57A5A10-B0D7-4BF0-A449-171E1BC0E244.jpeg 68945091-882A-4C08-B61C-3B7D3B8DA5F3.jpeg

I prefer not to conceal carry aggressively stippled firearms, or firearms with grip tape. When I carry my M&P9 2.0, I keep a layer of clothing between my skin and the firearm.

With that being said, the grip tape is great. When I carry a firearm on duty, in a level 3 holster, I always have grip tape. Usually lasts me 9-12 months, depending on how exposed to the elements it gets. And I never worried about whether the tape was "gross" - could never tell, despite it being exposed to the elements constantly.

Tape/Talon grips/etc can be swapped once dirty/worn out. Stippling will get much less aggressive with enough trigger time, and you will eventually need a new frame. I prefer tape because i can always replace it or remove it.

I find the texture on the Gen5 to be pretty good. Stippling tends to collect dust and dirt as well. I wouldn't stipple any gun I own.

Tape/Talon grips/etc can be swapped once dirty/worn out. Stippling will get much less aggressive with enough trigger time, and you will eventually need a new frame. I prefer tape because i can always replace it or remove it.
Exactly. Why permanently mess up a perfectly good frame by melting little divots all over it? Resale value goes out the window as well........

Exactly. Why permanently mess up a perfectly good frame by melting little divots all over it? Resale value goes out the window as well........
If I do it I'll post a picture of the nasty result. It will be on one of my Glocks that I beat the sh!t out of. It's already been spray painted. Had a buddy practice milling an optic cut and slide cuts on it. It's kind of my little test animal. Lol.

We got history together.

Glocks factory texture is trash. Haha.
S&W M&Ps are the same way...but for me, if my hands aren't chaffed at the end of a shooting session...they aren't grippy enough for me.

I've used both...grip tape on the front of 1911s that aren't checkered, and on slides to help with some manipulations, and aggressive stipple on grips.. depends on the application and what I have to work with.

Hilariously made website. Well done

On my G19 carry pistol I use skateboard tape on the slide and hockey stick tape on the grip. You can buy a lifetime's supply of both for cheap.

EDIT: adding pic

20230406_150250-01.png

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA