JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a Sticky Holster as a lighter weight alternative and thought I would share my experiences.
My other carry rig is a single-clip Kydex. I'm drawn to lighter weight and simpler configurations, so these are kind of the main options. I'll compare to my kydex holster.

Carry is a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm. I carry at 4 o'clock. I went with the MD-4 to cover the rear sights and don't have any issues with the sights snagging on the holster on draw... the draw issues are elsewhere, but I'll discuss that later.

This thing is slim and light. It meets my expectations in that regard. No clip, no kydex body- it's just the sleeve. Reholstering would pretty much require removal of the holster, which is the tradeoff. Retention is fair, it's pinched by your body.

The thing is pretty damn comfy and conceals better than my kydex. It stays pretty well- it didn't ever threaten to fall down or out. I've worn loose waistband sweatpants and it'll hold up to everything short of jumping jacks. But in daily use it DOES float around a little bit because it sticks to your clothes and your clothes will move around- it sort of "finds" where it will stay nicely and stays there. I appreciate this.

The problem is that on my body it tends to ride low, and the draw would be more difficult. I also can't really seem to get it to hold the higher cant angle that I try to move it to- it resets itself to the more natural (and comfortable) 10-degree-ish cant that fits the contour of my body. Again- great fit and comfort but function suffers.

My fiancé is my test subject for concealment, and agrees this conceals far better in summer clothes. I'm skinny- 5'8" and 135lbs, and can conceal the Shield well in shorts and a medium t-shirt (preferably dark). Part of this is how low it rides- it rides low and the grip hides itself near the small of my back. It just sort of finds where it fits against your body and stays there-- you don't get to choose the best place and angle, but it works.

This is my new summer rig. The downside of of a poor draw and reholster are outweighed by the fact that I can easily conceal this- the kydex simply prints too prominently in most of my summer clothes. Better to have something that will take an extra second to draw than nothing at all.

Thank you for the recommendation, I'll consider it.

To elaborate some, the summer carry situation has been interesting. I've experimented with number of ideas- a "pocket" .380 has been a tempting option but the Bodyguard 380 was just god-awful to shoot. The long DAO trigger would take some getting used to but shooting such a small frame is a chore. The only .380 I enjoyed shooting was the Sig P238, but it's just big enough that it's a "tweener" between the Shield and a pocket pistol and I can't justify the purchase. Sticking with the Shield also avoids adding another caliber to the mix.

I have another brand of a sticky type holster and also feel your review is spot on. I carry a Kahr CM9 in it. I carry at the 2 or 3 o'clock and it does drop and rotate a smidge when worn for a bit making draw more difficult. I draw with my thumb on top of the rear sight and back of the slide then sweep the thumb down as I present. Definitely my favorite summer holster. I move to a bigger pistol in the colder months with a more traditional holster

My wife really likes her Sticky Holster for her Smith 442 and her Ruger SP101 .357 magnum 2.25 inch barrel. I can concur she also agrees with your assessment. Her 442 does not ride low, most likely because it's a lighter gun than the Shield though her SP101 does rider lower than her 442, obviously because it's heavier.

Nice write up,
Mike

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews