JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey community,

Like the header states. I'm going to start an AR pistol build (SBR)

Looking to build it in .300 BLK trying to keep it as light as possible 9 inch barrel the whole works.

So looking for any and all inputs, anything goes. But the name of the game is keeping it light as a feather.

Thanks community
Koda

So a pistol or SBR? Be careful with what your intention is. I have two braced MP5 style pistols. My intention is to have a pistol and from time to time, I will sholder the brace.

If you are trying to bypass NFA laws by building a pistol instead of a regesterable SBR, the thugs, I mean guys at the ATF don't like that idea. Not trying to grill you, just sharing info.

Personally I like pistols more because I have more options.

If you go the brace route, I like gearhead works products. The tailhook is very effective and light weight brace... I like the MOD1 compact on a pistol buffer tube.

Hey community,

Like the header states. I'm going to start an AR pistol build (SBR)

Looking to build it in .300 BLK trying to keep it as light as possible 9 inch barrel the whole works.

So looking for any and all inputs, anything goes. But the name of the game is keeping it light as a feather.

Thanks community
Koda
Did you already get your stamp? If not that is the first place to start before you start to buy parts. It's rare but not unheard of for the Feds to make trouble for someone who has the parts to put an NFA weapon together, even though it's still parts, before they got the paper work back.

Biggie, and Alex. Thank you for your info, every thing helps!

And hate to do it. But I think I'm going to be building an pistol. I went the legal ethical route with the stamp for my suppressor.

Biggie, I'm gonna look into those parts you were talking about. Question tho. How short can you make a pistol?

Thanks guys

300 black. Short and light?

KAK industries makes the shortest barrel with the fastest twist, 1/5 twist, but expensive (200ish).

OK YOU SAID 9"...

Here is a 8" with faster twist, aka better for subs...

Pistols have zero length requirements. As long as our dea friends at the ATF don't bone us in the posterior!

Length is weight, then again, as is barrel profile. You can get a pencil barrel at 16" that weighs the same as a 10" Bull barrel...

KAK blade is the lightest "pistol" brace on the market.

SBR isn't much these days. I'm not a big fan of "pistols" these days do I'd recommend just ponying up and processing the tax stamp.

Best luck with the build, and better wishes to you for finding 300 blackout ammo right now!

Reno! Thanks, that's great stuff! How about lowers and uppers, I'm really liking that 9" only because 300blackouts lose so much energy when shooting under than 9" and also the more important thing, is that I'll be using this pistol with my suppressor. And I heard that you get a lot of baffle strikes, which is extremely worrysome.

Biggie, and Alex. Thank you for your info, every thing helps!

And hate to do it. But I think I'm going to be building an pistol. I went the legal ethical route with the stamp for my suppressor.

Biggie, I'm gonna look into those parts you were talking about. Question tho. How short can you make a pistol?

Thanks guys
If I am not mistaking, as long as you don't try to turn your AR pistol into an AOW (any other weapon $5 tax stamp), you don't have to worry about over all length... tip to butt lol.

Some like to AOW so they can put a vertical grip on their pistol legally and that's when they run into length problems. From tip to butt it has to be a certain length (for an AOW). And if you have a folding brace, the over all length counts with the gun folded, not unfolded. It's all bs really but I digress.

I used to have a 7.5 inch AR pistol. I had no worries with regards to over all length and I ran an angled grip (legal on pistols).

Personally I wouldn't go any shorter than a 7.5 inch upper. I ran a colt heavy buffer, the "H" marked buffer, to make sure I didn't have any cycling issues.

My upper had the carbine gas length gas tube. There are mid length and rifle length gas tubes etc. I won't bore you with all that lol.

Also, make sure you use a virgin lower or a lower that was born as a pistol. You cannot take a lower from a rifle and make a pistol out of it. I have a M4 carbine, I cannot take the stock off and put a brace on then put a 10.5 inch upper and call it a pistol.... it would be an illegal SBR lol.... told you it's all bs. The receiver was registered as a rifle so it has to stay that way.

So I've always bought a new stripped lower, and the first build on that stripped lower was a pistol. Now I can go from pistol to carbine to rifle and back to pistol etc.
20201111_005650.jpg

Reno! Thanks, that's great stuff! How about lowers and uppers, I'm really liking that 9" only because 300blackouts lose so much energy when shooting under than 9" and also the more important thing, is that I'll be using this pistol with my suppressor. And I heard that you get a lot of baffle strikes, which is extremely worrysome.
Can you elaborate more on the baffle strike thing? Ive herd of folks getting baffle strikes if there suppressor is not fully threaded or seated properly or not using a spacer. But from what I hear I don't have my cans yet you can pretty much put it on there without any worries.

You dont lose much energy under 9" Ive got 5.5 inch SBR's that run like a top and if you are shooting suppressed most of the time anyway barrel length doesnt matter in the slightest. My next build will be a 4.5"

Biggie,
That's exactly like what I want to build, just with a couple slight mods. Like I want to run it with a suppressor, but also want it to be able to chamber subs, and supers both perfectly fine.

can you give a good starting point.
Thanks

Most ba strikes are from slow subsonic speciality rounds mixed with slow twist rates. Which makes for a wobbly bullet. Long heavy bullet going 2/3 to half the speed out of a barrel designed for something lighter and faster or Vice verse is where the cartridge has its woes.

300 blackout subsonic is essentially 45acp. Even the bullet weights and velocities are similar with given barrel lengths. The benefactor is the bullet coefficient. Or aerodynamics. The bullet fly's better, and can be more precise. A fat 45 230 grain plug will get 2-8" groups at 100 yards. A 220 grain 300blk can do 1.5" or better consistently.

Pick a speed. Subsonic or supers. Build for whichever you pick.

But is it Possible to have best of both worlds? A pistol that shoots and recycles subs, and supers just fine?...

but if I had to pick, or would be for subs. Considering I got the omega specific for that.

But is it Possible to have best of both worlds? A pistol that shoots and recycles subs, and supers just fine?...

but if I had to pick, or would be for subs. Considering I got the omega specific for that.
All of my 300's cycle anything I put in there. The only one I ever had troubles with was a Daniel Defense 10.5" That wouldnt cycle subs. It found a new home. Even my piston driven SIG 5.5" Rattler cycles both.

Biggie,
That's exactly like what I want to build, just with a couple slight mods. Like I want to run it with a suppressor, but also want it to be able to chamber subs, and supers both perfectly fine.

can you give a good starting point.
Thanks
I guess I should mention that my pistol was a .223/5/56. I have no experience with .300 BLK. I have never shot a suppressed firearm, specially an AR "platform" but I have a Silencerco Hybrid 46 coming (once the ATF sends me my paperwork). As far as reliable feeding of different ammo, an adjustable gas block would probably be the best way to go if you had issues. I've had two AR pistols in .223/5/56 and never had reliability issue with feeding or ejecting. I did not have the option to control the gas, didn't have an adjustable gas block. Buffer spring weight (number of spring coils etc.) and buffer weight also effect things too as far as faster or slower cycling.

As far as a starting point, I don't know what your budget is but I would buy the best quality product I can afford and I would keep it simple. The more gadgets you add, the more complex things get.

I would add that the future of AR pistols are in more doubt than just ARs and semi-autos in general. You may not get to keep if very long and stay legal. I was all set to get an AR pistol a month or two ago just when all this about pistol braces and the honey badger broke. I decided it wasn't worth the risk and bought an AR rifle. Now I regret that I bought one that needed to be registered in the first place.

I would add that the future of AR pistols are in more doubt than just ARs and semi-autos in general. You may not get to keep if very long and stay legal. I was all set to get an AR pistol a month or two ago just when all this about pistol braces and the honey badger broke. I decided it wasn't worth the risk and bought an AR rifle. Now I regret that I bought one that needed to be registered in the first place.
I ordered a POF Minuteman 5.56 a few days ago. I am not worried about what may happen with regards to future gun laws.

I can only speak for myself. When and if the time comes, there will be two types of people. Those who will fight and those who will die on their knees licking boots. You have to decide if you're a fighter or a pussy cat.

Me? I've seen evil and I will not be a victim again. Only God can control me and tell me what to do. No human has the right to tell me how to live my life.

You may have kids, a family etc. I get it and I am not picking on you but you better be ready because there is some serious BS coming our way.

Be safe out there.

I ordered a POF Minuteman 5.56 a few days ago. I am not worried about what may happen with regards to future gun laws.

I can only speak for myself. When and if the time comes, there will be two types of people. Those who will fight and those who will die on their knees licking boots. You have to decide if you're a fighter or a pussy cat.

Me? I've seen evil and I will not be a victim again. Only God can control me and tell me what to do. No human has the right to tell me how to live my life.

You may have kids, a family etc. I get it and I am not picking on you but you better be ready because there is some serious BS coming our way.

Be safe out there.
I don't intend to give my guns up. I would only say that having registered guns makes that a bit harder. What are you really going to do if the BATF knocks on your door with a list of guns registered to you and they want them? I don't think a boating accident will fly. If they did seem to buy it and left, how comfortable would you be with doing anything with those guns with the thought that they may be watching? $100,000 fine, 10 years in jail. I would certainly not handle them in front of windows. If I were buying an AR again, I would look at a means to get an unregistered one whether it's a rifle or pistol.

There are also the requirements to report (and the consequences for failure to report) the transfer, loss, or destruction of a registered NFA item. That would include boating accidents.

In my opinion. No. Can it be done, yes.

Either you are over spinning supers, or under spinning subs. Both lead to marginal precision. You are either losing velocity and have more unburnt powder, IE flash, or you have too long of a barrel and are waisting energy pushing a slow bullet down a longer than needed tube.

Great part about an AR platform.

You can just build an upper for each.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews