JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any of you folks have experience with StackOn Safes?

I'm not looking to buy one myself, but a lady I know is looking at one to store a lot of firearms that belonged to her husband who just died. He would not spend the money on a safe, for some reason.

Yeah, I know that that there are much better safes than StackOn, but that is what she can afford. It's the "Defender" model, I think and runs around $800.

The StackOn would not be one that I would buy, but it has to be far better than leaving 40+ guns scattered around the house.

Yeah, she could sell some firearms and get a Fort Knox, Champion, etc...but the StackOn is what she can afford. It's a 50 plus rifle size and will meet her needs.

If you have personal experience with StackOn, please let me hear from you.

Thanks

Jerry

I have a Stack On. Very light weight for a safe. It could easily be breached by a crowbar and some time. Its far better than a locker if you just want to keep kids out. I plan to get a FatBoy when I have the money.
On the good side their light enough to move with a handtruck and some muscle:D
I see your in Vanc, you might check out Tracker and see what they could come up with.
Tracker Safe

Just tossing out a possibility, given what you mention as her possible financial constraints...

Perhaps look at a "job box" if she has the space.

Home Depot sells one for $249, add in 2 locks fir $20, and there $19 truck rental and your under $300.

I needed help from 2 guys at the store to unload from the shelf, and to load it up onto the truck.

I didn't need extra help at home (other than standard "supervision" -LOL!), as I have a heavy duty 2 wheeled dolly. I was even able to unload it from the truck by myself (again under standard "supervision"-LOL!). I was able to set it down on its end on the ground, top part still on the truck, so it was never a "dead" lift.

Just tossing out a possibility, given what you mention as her possible financial constraints...

Perhaps look at a "job box" if she has the space.

Home Depot sells one for $249, add in 2 locks fir $20, and there $19 truck rental and your under $300.

I needed help from 2 guys at the store to unload from the shelf, and to load it up onto the truck.

I didn't need extra help at home (other than standard "supervision" -LOL!), as I have a heavy duty 2 wheeled dolly. I was even able to unload it from the truck by myself (again under standard "supervision"-LOL!). I was able to set it down on its end on the ground, top part still on the truck, so it was never a "dead" lift.

^^^Thats what so was thinking too.

If she doesn't or isn't going to access them regularly then a job box has more steel in it and meant to repel cutting tools better then any stack on model.

A job box, how convenient of you to put all your firearms in one place. And it even has a handle on both ends to ease carrying them out the door to put them in the getaway vehicle.

I suggest you bolt down!!!

A job box, how convenient of you to put all your firearms in one place. And it even has a handle on both ends to ease carrying them out the door to put them in the getaway vehicle.

Is think bolting it down is a given with any safe - except one of mine that weighs 4000 lbs - good luck moving that monstrosity in a timely manner...

Yes bolted down and weighted its not going anywheres.

Even not bolted down, mine will not be able to be moved unless unloaded without a forklift, or pulled by a winch. They'd have to knock down a few walls first for either method...

Edit, adding: it's still not a safe, but better than some & loads better than a cabinet. It's a supplement to having good neighbors, and a good security system. Whatever something is, if someone really wants it, they will always try...this will just make that harder & longer to do. Something most criminals don't want...

Last Edited:
Is think bolting it down is a given with any safe - except one of mine that weighs 4000 lbs - good luck moving that monstrosity in a timely manner...
I have known some to put a safe in place, fill it, and call it good. Yeah, ever hear of Outhouse Tipping, I say to them. HA!!!!!!!

4000lbs? That's not a safe, that's a bunker!!!

4000lbs? That's not a safe, that's a bunker!!!

Yup, 8" of solid steel on all sides, up and down - it's worth more to a scrapyard then what I paid for it :D.

That doesn't count what it took to get it home though:p.

Only took me and a good friend 9 hours:rolleyes: And a bunch of outside the box thinking and trying to not loose a hand, foot or life:eek:.

Geeze guys! I was looking for personal experience with Stack-On Safes. Not a damn bunch of bickering about job boxes and "tip-overs"!

Thanks to edslhead and camelfilter for some constructive thoughts. I appreciate the input fellas.

For the rest of you...leave your peeing on the post to yourselves. I'm trying to help a recently widowed friend with a problem. You need to grow up.

Jerry

I would check out Craigslist. I see some nice safes listed for under what she can afford.
Estate sales are another great bargain for safes.

I saw a couple of nice gunsafes at costco for under $800

Those are crop IMO.

Almost everything like that at Costco is special made for them to lower costs and standards.

Next time your in there go look up a model of any TV and notice it is sub par to the manufactures specs for similar models and you won't find that specific model on the manufactures web site. Less inputs etc.

Be careful at Coscto - great for food and little stuff - the more expensive stuff is generally a rip off and you would be better at a specialty shop paying just a little more.

I have a Stack-On 14 Gun fire safe that I picked up for $269 a few years ago. The fire resistant drywall inside makes it just over 300 pounds. I got it to keep the kids away from my long guns, for fire protection and to use as a quick access for an AR and a shotgun. You can bolt it down to the floor and I suggest that you do so. Look for sales on this model at BiMart around Black Friday and New Years.
kidsafe.jpg

Yeah, I know that that there are much better safes than StackOn, but that is what she can afford. It's the "Defender" model, I think and runs around $800.

if she has $800 or less to spend there are plenty of options out there in that price range and cheaper that are not StackOn brand.

Browning Yukon Gold YG20 Gun Safe Pad Lock | Sportsman's Warehouse

I dont know how to compare if one brand is better than the other though. I think there is an official UL rating for security, if the safe doesn't have that sticker on it then its completely up to what the mfg says but no way to validate that without the rating.

Those are crop IMO.

Almost everything like that at Costco is special made for them to lower costs and standards.

Next time your in there go look up a model of any TV and notice it is sub par to the manufactures specs for similar models and you won't find that specific model on the manufactures web site. Less inputs etc.

Be careful at Coscto - great for food and little stuff - the more expensive stuff is generally a rip off and you would be better at a specialty shop paying just a little more.

You can say what you like about Costco, but I doubt you'll find another place that will give you a 90 day guarantee on electronics and a one year guarantee on everything else. The safes they sell are made, likely in china, like most other cheap or expensive stuff is. Also anytime you are dissatisfied in Any way you are welcome to tell costco where to shove their membership and you will be given a Full Refund.

I know because I did and they welcomed me back when I changed my mind & No it didn't work any better than before I changed it (my mind, Costco was fine)

You can say what you like about Costco, but I doubt you'll find another place that will give you a 90 day guarantee on electronics and a one year guarantee on everything else. The safes they sell are made, likely in china, like most other cheap or expensive stuff is. Also anytime you are dissatisfied in Any way you are welcome to tell costco where to shove their membership and you will be given a Full Refund.

I know because I did and they welcomed me back when I changed my mind & No it didn't work any better than before I changed it (my mind, Costco was fine)

I love Costco and shop there regularly.

I was just passing on something I've discovered about their more expensive items.

Take it or don't, it's all the same to me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top