JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This gun is potentially the next buy for me. I've always been a fan of the 1911 design and so far I've heard nothing but positive things about the Springfield, seems like a great gun for the price and it's reliability. Anybody own one? and what do you think?

thanks,
justification

I've had two. Loved them both. They both had lowered/flared ejection ports and I added an extended thumb safety and better trigger. They were great pistols. Starting to regret selling them now.

I got the GI milspec Champion. Great pistol, just ahd to do 1 change. The GI Version comes with low vis military sights. My eyes aren't what they used to be so I am having 3 dot sights installed.

Otherwise a great gun.

I would say only four things to "know" about them:

1) Understand the difference between the GI and "Mil-spec" model. GI is a true classic Colt style gun with the smaller sights and traditional slide. Mil-spec has taller, more (old man) eye friendly sights and a lowered ejection port cut into the slide. If you hanker for a real authentic-styled gun, get the GI. If you want to do mods, probably better to start with the Mil-spec. It's not "Mil-spec" in any real sense; it's just named that.

As to the sights, I'm 43 and I've been shooting 1911's for about 33 years. I have worn glasses for 25 years and I still shoot the "itty bitty" sights just fine. About 1/2 my guns have them. They are just not as bad a deal as people make them out to be. And the gun looks better with them IMHO. But it's up to you, of course - people have different preferences, and that's a good thing as it creates options and innovation. But if you hanker for the military of old-style "look," don't worry about it unless you have some severe eye problems.

2) Some have feeding issues off the start because of extractors. Easy to fix, don't get hung-up if it happens.

3) They aren't "American made," despite the name and slogan - that's why the price point is low. If that bugs you, look at used Kimbers or Colts.

4) The magazines are good (Metalform is the OEM). If you get one with the coupon for more, take it, it's a good deal. I think the coupon is only with the Loaded and above now, sometimes in the past they've included it with basic models.

I would say only four things to "know" about them:

1) Understand the difference between the GI and "Mil-spec" model. GI is a true classic Colt style gun with the smaller sights and traditional slide. Mil-spec has taller, more (old man) eye friendly sights and a lowered ejection port cut into the slide. If you hanker for a real authentic-styled gun, get the GI. If you want to do mods, probably better to start with the Mil-spec. It's not "Mil-spec" in any real sense; it's just named that.

As to the sights, I'm 43 and I've been shooting 1911's for about 33 years. I have worn glasses for 25 years and I still shoot the "itty bitty" sights just fine. About 1/2 my guns have them. They are just not as bad a deal as people make them out to be. And the gun looks better with them IMHO. But it's up to you, of course - people have different preferences, and that's a good thing as it creates options and innovation. But if you hanker for the military of old-style "look," don't worry about it unless you have some severe eye problems.

2) Some have feeding issues off the start because of extractors. Easy to fix, don't get hung-up if it happens.

3) They aren't "American made," despite the name and slogan - that's why the price point is low. If that bugs you, look at used Kimbers or Colts.

4) The magazines are good (Metalform is the OEM). If you get one with the coupon for more, take it, it's a good deal. I think the coupon is only with the Loaded and above now, sometimes in the past they've included it with basic models.

1) also slide serrations are different.
2) This I would consider a general 1911 prob.
3) WOW reccomend Kimber over springfield? That's new. For the OP you can do a search on the issue. Springfield uses Imbel, Brazils militiary supplier. They know what they're doing. And if you want "american made" look for an NM serial #'d gun or Springfield Custom shop!
4) The mags on the loaded coupon are a very good deal. FWIW some people have had luck calling springfield saying they didn't get the coupon with their gun and have been able to get one from them.

Depending on your wants/needs/goals/cash also look at the Springfield Loaded models. You can usually find very good deals, and they have most of the basic type upgrades already done. Also if you're planning to build up know that SA uses a different tang angle for the beavertail.

I bought one two month ago after spending several months looking at the various options. I am very glad that I bought it, for the price point it seems to be the best quality and has the minimal amount of work done to bring it up to a standard that I would keep without modifications and yet is also a good base to be able to modify if I decide to go that route.

Last Edited:
Correct. No it's not national match. The appeal is they're finished here in the states and since made here must be better the assumption is fit/finish/function is better. But I've seen some amazing pieces turned out on non-nm frames.

Springfield is selling two military-like pistols. They are selling a Mil-Spec which is made to WW-2 military specifications. They also sell a G.I. model, which is not.

I bought one of the G.I. pistols (4") soon after they hit the market. It looks sort of like a military 1911-a1, with a major glaring difference. There is no barrel bushing, and has a bull barrel. On the frame the word "Brazil" is stamped, which leads me to believe it may be a sub-contract gun made by Taurus. The sights on the G.I. are smaller than the Mil-Spec. The slide is stamped: "Springfield Arms" and "Champion."

Don't get me wrong, I am totally satisfied with the pistol and carry it from time-to-time. Eventually I will replace the sights, grip safety and thumb safety. It shoots every time I press the trigger, and so far had digested every kind of ammo I've fed it. The pistol will handle 8 round magazines.
:s0155: I definately recommend them for anyone looking for a basic, budget .45 caliber pistol.

Pistols08008-1.jpg

Springfield is selling two military-like pistols. They are selling a Mil-Spec which is made to WW-2 military specifications. They also sell a G.I. model, which is not.

I bought one of the G.I. pistols (4") soon after they hit the market. It looks sort of like a military 1911-a1, with a major glaring difference. There is no barrel bushing, and has a bull barrel. On the frame the word "Brazil" is stamped, which leads me to believe it may be a sub-contract gun made by Taurus. The sights on the G.I. are smaller than the Mil-Spec. The slide is stamped: "Springfield Arms" and "Champion."

Don't get me wrong, I am totally satisfied with the pistol and carry it from time-to-time. Eventually I will replace the sights, grip safety and thumb safety. It shoots every time I press the trigger, and so far had digested every kind of ammo I've fed it. The pistol will handle 8 round magazines.
:s0155: I definately recommend them for anyone looking for a basic, budget .45 caliber pistol.

Pistols08008-1.jpg

Wow more confusion. The GI is truer to original spec, milspec has some of the original upgardes; lowered/flaredjection port, etc. The compacts do not use a standard bushing; can find bull barrels and older models are bushinged but with a non standard plug. No they are not subcontracted by Taurus. had you read ANY of this thread they are forged by Imbel, Brazil.

Your compactshwould not have been soon after release- early ones used a bushing to my knowledge. They did phase to the bull barrels for their Compact/champions though. I can get a pic up of mine if you'd like (earlier bushing model) :)

Grrr taurus. Sorry.

Springfield, to my knowledge, is the only manufacturer with a contract with Imbel. Springfield Armory is one of the only 1911 makers with a true custom shop (to my knowledge. no Kimber's custom shop really isn't, sorry.)

What wow? I think most people would.

So would the smiths at 10-8 performance who reccomend springfield, and don't with Kimber? Or the fact that every major 1911 smith will usually work on Colt and Springfields, and not many others. But what do they and a track record have to do with anything :s0114:

So would the smiths at 10-8 performance who reccomend springfield, and don't with Kimber? Or the fact that every major 1911 smith will usually work on Colt and Springfields, and not many others. But what do they and a track record have to do with anything :s0114:

I'm not saying Springfields are bad - I've owned one. But I also own a Kimber, and prefer it.

I was just reacting to the "WOW!", as if someone who preferred Kimber was completely nuts. Kimber in my mind is a step ahead of Springfield, who also makes great pistols. If you prefer Springfield, fine, but it's not like Kimber is a Jennings or something.

BTW, the statement that "every" major 1911 smith won't work on Kimbers is false. To think of one off the top of my head: Clark Custom. And what that has to do with the quality coming out of the shop is beyond me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top