JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The springfield line is a great place to start building a custom 1911. As with all things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, ie., sights, grips, guide rods etc. After building 1911's for 16 years now and as a professional gunsmith and shooter, the Springfield line is one of the best. Good internal features, 38 super f/pin to limit primer flow, supported bbls to aid in feeding steel that is some of best and hardest in the biz, can I get an AMEN fellow machinists, anywho, great guns.:s0155:

krawl said:
2) This I would consider a general 1911 prob.
(re: extractor issues)

No, Brazilian-sourced SA have had a uniquely poor record in this category the last few years. It's a problem unique to poorly fit/finished 1911's, not all of them.

krawl said:
3) WOW reccomend Kimber over springfield? That's new. For the OP you can do a search on the issue. Springfield uses Imbel, Brazils militiary supplier. They know what they're doing. And if you want "american made" look for an NM serial #'d gun or Springfield Custom shop!

Yes, for those who want American made. You've gone outside the context of my comment.

(re: extractor issues)

No, Brazilian-sourced SA have had a uniquely poor record in this category the last few years. It's a problem unique to poorly fit/finished 1911's, not all of them.

Yes, for those who want American made. You've gone outside the context of my comment.

OK on #1 I figured you mjeant the usual extractor issues. I've honestly heard nothing on this anywhere else. If I cared more about being american made than quality there are many options I'd go before taurus- STI, Fusion, Springfield Custom, etc. Taurus has had many many problems with their 1911's- poor metals, poor MIM processes, poor QC, poor customer service (though a buddywho dealt with them recently had a good experience).

One thing I will tell you about the GI edition is that it will not load hollow points. Many of you 1911 guys probably knew that, but I didn't. Spent almost $40 bucks on some high end personal protection rounds and couldn't use them. The GI 1911A1 will only shoot ball ammo, unless you "throat" the barrel (not sure what that means). You can use Pow'r ball ammo, though. Which many would argue is better that traditional hollow points anyway. Just wanted to save you from wasting some cash like I did.

I bought a Mil-Spec .38 Super when they were first introduced, in . . . '03? It was a nice gun, accurate and reliable. The trigger was a bit heavy, but that's the case with most mass-produced 1911s. I traded it for a similar Colt, not because there was anything wrong with the Springer, but because I'm a Colt guy. Quality was about the same, and while at that time the pricing wasn't much different, a stainless Colt is probably now going to be at least $100 more than a parkerized Springfield.
I think the reason custom shops prefer to work on Colts and Springfields, is because they don't have a bunch of "custom" work, such as beavertails, sight dovetails, forward cocking serrations, etc., that are done with production-line levels of quality. If I were a custom 'smith, I wouldn't want my name on a gun that had a lot of obvious external features that weren't done to a high level. That's the reason I bought first the Springer, and then the Colt; nothing on them that can't be un-done if I want to change it.

I've never been able to get over the "made in Brazil (Imbel)" factor w/ Springfield Armory 1911s. I would probably look at a US made Para USA GI Expert if I was in tha market for a low cost entry level 1911. I have a stainless 14.45 LDA that I love.

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_expert.php

BUT WHY??? Is it the proven track record both in shooters hand or smiths hands? Or that they're reliable, good parts, a proven militiary contractor for Brazil, solid metal choice for frame?

I have never owned a Taurus for the same reason. Both mfgs make good guns, however they are just not my cup of tea. Ten years ago you could pick up a US made Colt 1991 .45 for the same price as a basic Brazilian made Springfield. Now if you want a basic US made gun and don't want a Para USA, you will have to pay several hundred dollars more (Kimber, S&W, Sig, etc.).

I am for supporting US made- but if it matters that much pony up the money for a Springfield Custom shop gun, or other custom on a Caspian or Fusion frame. I don't see how holding principles on where somethings made, while throwing out principles on quality makes sense. Just saying.

If I were going to get a new USGI style 1911 I'd go with Rock Island Armory. It is hard to beat the price and quality combination.

Second I'd look for a Norinco but they are getting harder and harder to find NIB.

Third I'd probably get a Springfield.

Then again I'd probably get any one of those three if I saw one in a shop or at the gun show for the right price.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top