JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
... Is there a discipline you guys would recommend trying first, speed steel or IDPA ?

@RogueOne
I recommend Steel First -
1. Fewer Rules
2. Less Confusing Rules
3. Get used to the action part of the sport - buzzer, RO next to you and so forth.

Don't let me discourage you from IDPA - your IDPA legal gear will work for Steel, but not necessarily the other way around. IDPA includes movement and the use of 'cover'.

What Ric said is worth repeating.

I don't know your skill level, but I've been involved with a lot of competitions and I've dealt with a lot of people entering into competition, and I strongly encourage participation in TCGC Speed Steel as an entry into practical shooting competition. If/when a participant is safe and comfortable performing in that environment (Speed Steel competition) then they may be ready for entry into the "more demanding" (movement, changing angles of fire, additional manipulations under time/stress, more rules knowledge/compliance is required, etc.) matches.

What's the "downside" to trying Speed Steel first? If one's skill level is already sufficient that they could reasonably enter into the "more demanding" matches, then they get to look enviably competent at Speed Steel, impress and inspire friends and strangers, get a bit of valuable practice, it's a positive and self-affirming experience, they broaden their experience base, etc. This is all stuff that encourages one to continue participation. Good stuff, good for the individual, good for our match, good for competitive practical shooting sports, etc.

What's the "downside" to trying a "more demanding" match first? Well... let's recognize that we're participating in an activity that has a risk (that we work to minimize) of death / serious injury to ourselves and to others, and all the awfulness that follows. That said, the more common downside includes:
  • poor performance
  • stress overload
  • confusion (both on the clock, and off the clock) on procedures, equipment, rules, expectations, etc.
  • safety violation/s (and disqualification) which often includes additional confusion, competitor denial of the violation ("no, I didn't do that"), animosity toward the RO making the safety/DQ observation/call, etc.
  • embarrassment
  • frustration and resentment
This is all stuff that discourages continued participation in the activity.

I've seen both and I know which one I prefer.

Best,

ac

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews