JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All great info. My Ruger 22/45 lite has some TandemKross Mods with a Holosun red dot. My 10/22 is a Ruger receiver with all Kidd parts. It has a 4x optic, but will most likely move the Holosun to the 10/22 and run irons on the 22/45

I use Norma Tac black and red box for the 10/22 and Federal bulk 325 for the pistol.

For the private land, it's a 160 acre south east of Corvallis. Family homestead land from the early 1900. It's my "zen area" to get out and shoot, camp, hike, etc.. no neighbors, all BLM around it.

Matches are 1st Sunday of every month. Day of the match, head to the action range and find the stat shack (it's just left of bay 1).

Once inside, you will find sign up sheets numbered 1-6. Pick a squad and sign it. Then you will need to see Alex. He will ask you what squad you are in, what division you are shooting ( he will help you if you don't know) and get your money (match fee is $12).

That's basically it. There are a few minor details I left out, but those can addressed later at the match.

Let us know if/when you go. Someone here can get you all dialed in at the match. :)

Great looking property, Stangler!
Like NWGlockgal and Spooky say, the speed steel matches are very friendly and low-stress.
Everyone is there to have a good time, work on some practical skills, and shoot the breeze with like-minded folk.
Give it a try...I think you'll really enjoy it.

No. I know non-members who have shot IDPA, Speed Steel and PPC.
You do have to email the match director to get a gate code to get in though....or
follow someone through the gate.

Good to know. I have wanted to try and get in to competitive shooting but I was hoping I won't have to wait a year or so to become a member. Is there a discipline you guys would recommend trying first, speed steel or IDPA ?

I would try IDPA first. Just read up on the rules and then you have to attend a safety meeting before the match, done right before it starts.
Speed steel is fun, but IDPA involves more action and shooting.
Either one, you have to be very careful about the rules regarding the 180 and muzzle over the berm.

@RogueOne
I recommend Steel First -
1. Fewer Rules
2. Less Confusing Rules
3. Get used to the action part of the sport - buzzer, RO next to you and so forth.

Don't let me discourage you from IDPA - your IDPA legal gear will work for Steel, but not necessarily the other way around. IDPA includes movement and the use of 'cover'.

A quick search of this forum will get you the contact URLs for Tri-County and some other range's clubs.
As well as suggestions for gear.

Another suggestion is Practical Pistol, which is tomorrow. Like USPSA but not sanctioned by them because of the muzzle over the berm rule. It's stages are easier than the ones at Dundee. Less crowded too!

Do u guys have any recommendations for holsters and belts? I'm a fairly big guy and I think I would prefer a holster that is a little bit away from my body. I have a glock 34. Let me know what you guys think.

For USPSA and Speed Steel, I use a Bladetech with the drop/offset attachment.
For IDPA I use a Bladetech with a paddle attachment. There are rules against drop/offset
in IDPA, although women have some leeway due to our anatomical structure.

I am also a larger guy with love handle issues. I'm running a Double Alpha system (belt, holster, mag holders) that I keep up on the hips with suspenders. All the brands seem to be represented at matches so I imagine any one of them would work. My choice was based on the design of the mag holders.

I found this vid to be very helpful before shooting my 1st Speed Steel match.

Yes, this is a pretty good primer video. There are a few things at TCGC Speed Steel that are slightly different, but almost all of its info is applicable. Thank you to the person who made the video, and thank you to spookshack for posting it - I expect that many people will find it helpful.

ac

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads