JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently was gifted a 300BO pistol upper. With the brace rules up in the air still, preferring a real stock, and planning on suppressing it down the line, I'm wanting to get a solvent trap tube and end cap(s) to pin and weld onto the pistol barrel to get to 16"+ then in the future file the paperwork to make it a real suppressor and get the "dry storage cups" and a blank end cap later.

I shouldn't have any issues with the Bureau of All Things Fun and Exciting doing it this way right?

sounds like one of those beg forgiveness before permission scenarios. It's all good unless someone decides you're worth the effort to make you an example.

If you're going to be filing NFA paperwork regardless, why not just make an SBR to attach that upper to, then have a real not legally questionable silencer later? Sounds like you're making your life more difficult for no reason

If you're going to be filing NFA paperwork regardless, why not just make an SBR to attach that upper to, then have a real not legally questionable silencer later? Sounds like you're making your life more difficult for no reason
Sounds like the plan is for it to never actually be an SBR.

Use what is effectively a long blast can to get to 16" and, after the silencer paperwork is back, weld up the blast can with baffles and an end cap.

8" barrel with permanent 8" suppressor does not an SBR make.

Why you'd want to permanently attach a can? Who knows. Why not just get the second stamp for the SBR? Who knows.

I recently was gifted a 300BO pistol upper. With the brace rules up in the air still, preferring a real stock, and planning on suppressing it down the line, I'm wanting to get a solvent trap tube and end cap(s) to pin and weld onto the pistol barrel to get to 16"+ then in the future file the paperwork to make it a real suppressor and get the "dry storage cups" and a blank end cap later.

I shouldn't have any issues with the Bureau of All Things Fun and Exciting doing it this way right?
But seriously, and I'll be chastised for this but let's face facts. The whole 'wrist brace' deal is a a loop hole to a BS short barrel regulation. We all know it. I wouldn't push the edge of that envelope without legislation. You'll just be helping the gun grabbers. That said, I have no idea so what's my point.
I like suppressors, I like pistols, and I like carbines. With the copious amount of cartridges available there's just no advantage to a barrel under 16" regardless of the law and don't bring a pistol to a firefight. I know to each his own and all that but these are tools first and foremost. It's like I tell my sons, 'Cute doesn't cut it". I'm an incorrigible pragmatist.

Sounds like the plan is for it to never actually be an SBR.

Use what is effectively a long blast can to get to 16" and, after the silencer paperwork is back, weld up the blast can with baffles and an end cap.

8" barrel with permanent 8" suppressor does not an SBR make.

Why you'd want to permanently attach a can? Who knows. Why not just get the second stamp for the SBR? Who knows.
I understand and agree with you on all counts

The .300BO really works best in short barrels and suppressed with subsonic heavy rounds and pistol gas it seems. A suppressed .300BO pistol upper doesn't seem as long as the same suppressor on a 16"+ barrel, sometimes it actually is just as handy as a 16" AR, when the .300BO is an 8.5" barrel plus a 7.5-8" suppressor.

As to pin and weld a barrel shroud end/fake can and then getting a stamp for a proper silencer.. I don't know? The ATF could in theory go after you for "constructive intents" and for "unregistered silencer" if they arbitrarily decide the fake can is still a silencer? Me.. I'd just do a pistol lower with a stubby buffer tube OR do the buffer-less system even if it is a lot of money...

Edit, example above requires folding stock adapter but there are other bufferless systems for as much money that aren't in stock right now like the Evolution Weapon systems, if not getting the whole CMMG Dissent upper

So you want to eventually build a solvent trap silencer when atf is actively going to people's houses and confiscating them or worse? The example I gave in another thread with ATF visiting someone in WA then driving 4+ hours one way to track him down, guess what that was for. Yep you guessed it, solvent trap suppressor.

They also don't allow form 1 silencer builds like they did in the past. You will need to prove you have the machines to build those cups yourself. And don't forget that when you fill out the form 1 you are saying in writing that what you say on the application is true under penalty of perjury. Why mess with all that crap? It's not a good time to be exploring what you may think are grey areas but ATF interprets it differently. Buy a silencer and pin and weld it if that's the way you want to go.

Or another option is spend $200 and sbr it then you can add a silencer (that can be used on multiple guns) later. That's what I would do if I was you cuz the most $ is in the suppressor plus stamp.

Last Edited:

Edit, example above requires folding stock adapter but there are other bufferless systems for as much money that aren't in stock right now like the Evolution Weapon systems, if not getting the whole CMMG Dissent upper
Another bufferless upper is the brn-180 (a modernized stoner/armalight designed ar-180). The same short stroke gas piston is used in guns like SCAR, hk 416, etc.

They now even have a 300 BO brn-180SH which is the same thing but with a 3 position gas system for the short stroke gas piston. The third gas position is to shut off the gas completely which makes it a single shot, eliminating any noise from the action cycling.

Welding an extension onto the barrel is not illegal. People do it all the time.

If it happens to be internally threaded near the end and of a certain diameter, nothing to report.

It's the ATFs new stance on 80% suppressors that has changed things and will F up this plan. They consider unfinished suppressor parts as suppressor parts. There go owning unfinished suppressor parts without a Form 1 approval is illegal now. IE you must prove you are in fact making it. IE the manufacturer illegally made suppressor parts without proper licensing and now you are in possession of illegal suppressor parts without going through the proper processes.

So how can one make a suppressor legally these days. Submit paperwork to ATF, they may or may not ask for blueprints of the suppressor you intend to make and pictures of the equipment you are going to use to make it. They may not require these, I've seen it both ways so far in the post ATF crackdown on homemade suppressors. Once the application approval is in hand you can make your suppressor.

My advice, weld an extension on over the barrel so the threads are still accessible. Perhaps in a size large enough to accommodate a can when you obtain one legally down the road. Then you have legal barrel length and avoid any uncertainty that exists with the current mob running the ATF.

Keep things simple, replace the barrel with a 16" and go shooting. Keep the short barrel on the shelf for if the rules change... Why put your dogs life at risk. :s0161:

If it doesn't actually suppress the sound of a gunshot, and just looks like a suppressor? This is what I have read as being okay without a tax stamp. After all, there are a number of fake suppressor shrouds out there, some even come with a gun from the factory.

Now someone correct me if I am wrong - but I also get the impression that it is the internal components of a suppressor that the ATF considers to be a suppressor?

snip.... With the copious amount of cartridges available there's just no advantage to a barrel under 16" regardless of the law and don't bring a pistol to a firefight. I know to each his own and all that but these are tools first and foremost. It's like I tell my sons, 'Cute doesn't cut it". I'm an incorrigible pragmatist.
Although not limited to the following, the 300 Blackout was developed as a suppressed subsonic cartridge optimized for a 8"-11" barrel. As far as firefights, the M4 carbine has seen its share with a 14.5" barrel. Then you have the NGSW XM7 6.8x51mm which has a 13" barrel. There are a number of other examples which contradict your opinion regarding barrel length.

In the first place theres nothing in the air. You have an SBR if there is a brace attached. Putting a set of end caps and a tube on the end will just make it an SBR with an unregistered silencer.

If it doesn't actually suppress the sound of a gunshot, and just looks like a suppressor? This is what I have read as being okay without a tax stamp. After all, there are a number of fake suppressor shrouds out there, some even come with a gun from the factory.

Now someone correct me if I am wrong - but I also get the impression that it is the internal components of a suppressor that the ATF considers to be a suppressor?
No. A tube with end caps is a silencer if the bullet passes through it. If it just covers the barrel its a barrel shroud.

None of this is effectiveness based. A tube with drilled end caps filled with concrete is a silencer.

Last Edited:

The term "Firearm Silencer" or "Firearm Muffler" means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

A fake suppressor is exactly what its name says it is. It's an object that attaches to the end of the barrel of a firearm that looks like a suppressor but does not actually offer any of the sound reduction benefits of a real suppressor.

The term "Firearm Silencer" or "Firearm Muffler" means any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for the use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

A fake suppressor is exactly what its name says it is. It's an object that attaches to the end of the barrel of a firearm that looks like a suppressor but does not actually offer any of the sound reduction benefits of a real suppressor.
But a tube with a drilled end cap on the end that a bullet passes through is a silencer. A fake suppressor is a solid block of metal with a passage for a bullet.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top