JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Plus, think outside the brick. The other day I was able to "score" some American Eagle .22lr for $3/50.. $60/1000. Ammo comes in other counts than a "brick".

Per day from just one manufacturer. There are many more, making more than 3,000,000 a day.

Very much more. CCI is not shipping crates of 500 bulk boxes for the most part. They make higher end ammo. The remington, blazer bulk shipments would be far more ammo due to their bulk ammo not needing near as much quality control. Dump in a box and ship, not put in pretty plastic cases and ship like CCI. The folks who are hoarding are getting 5-6 boxes a week at least showing up at order delivery time with family members to buy their one box limit for them as well. The problem is that people are still willing to pay 50 bucks a box. As soon as that stopped for even a few weeks we would see a difference. Aside from store employees preying on the ammo.

Plus, think outside the brick. The other day I was able to "score" some American Eagle .22lr for $3/50.. $60/1000. Ammo comes in other counts than a "brick".

And if you are desperate you should be picking up the 50 count boxes. It is ammo even though its not the 500 you wanted. At 6 bucks at least if you take your time you get a decent hour or 2 of shooting with 100 rounds. I have seen the American Eagle at the Discount Guns store by me in 50rd boxes and they wanted 12.99.

I was sighting yesterday and went through 40rounds in about 30 minutes.

200 usually makes for a decent 2 hour shoot out.

Unless you rapid fire 8 banana mags. lol Awww those were the days, hehe

I really miss being able to destroy a target with a few 25 round mags but I still have fun taking my time further out. I do miss those fun rapid fire days when you could go buy 3 boxes of .22, or any caliber any day of the week from Bi Mart on the way to shooting.

Ya I just can't justify blowing through it. I know I have some now, but then it sure does not take long to have none :)

Change to putting rds through the same hole. Slows things down a little. Accuracy over firepower always should be priority.
Shoot every round like you only have one round.
Spray and prayers are only for you to get a better position. :D

Reread the thread.

I didn't see it mentioned before.

Has anyone considered the thought that there are more firearm owners now than say 2 years ago?

This idiots administration has been the key source for a huge surge in gun ownership.

More hands on guns, means more bodies in stores buying ammo.

If the plants were to maintain an output for the amount of shooters now they would never keep up.

Add this to those like me, who are always collecting what they can to make it through these tight times. As well as those who up sell.

It is a whole mess of reasons.

Only when the price gets too horrible will you see it back on shelves. I think once it gets to a consistent 15-20 cents a round it will come back. I don't think the prices will go back down though until a few years after it has sat on the shelf at the 15-20 cents a round pricing.

Just look at 223/556. It is readily available for 50 cents a round. It will likely stay that price until people stop buying it. If another panic happens and they come after "Assault Rifles" it will likely go up again and the cycle starts over. It will disappear again. The price will go to 75-1.00 a round. People will stop buying it due to price. It will sit readily at 75-1.00 for a year or two.bor longer depending on how many still buy it at that price. Then once everyone has enough and the supply can gain headway. They'll have to lower the price to get it off the shelf.

Classic example is AR lowers. So many companies joined the bandwagon to feed of the crazies trying to buy ARs at the 200-500 dollar range. Now the panic over the dreaded ban is over. Everyone in this country practically has an AR now. So they are lowering the prices to offload the supply. Lowers can be had for as little as 50 dollars.

Ammo is different. There are no new companies jumping the on the wagon to make the stuff. The supply will come, it's just going to take a lot longer since we are relying on the same ole players making it.

I do give kudos to those key players in the industry like Winchester, for expanding their presence with a few new plants.

This is what the pdf file he sent me said.

SPORTING GROUP
April 11, 2013
Dear Valued Customer,
As you are aware, the unprecedented demand for commercial ammunition has exceeded the industry’s
ability to service the marketplace in the near term and has resulted in an industry‐wide shortage at most
retail outlets. With more than 2,000 dedicated employees working diligently around the clock, we
continue to take appropriate action across our manufacturing enterprise to increase and align
production capacity in response to this demand and, ultimately, service your needs – this is our first
priority!
Despite our consistent and dedicated efforts, there remains much speculation and misinformation
regarding the availability of commercial ammunition. In one example, there are a vocal few who believe
that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is buying excessive quantities of ammunition thereby
restricting availability to the commercial market. Simply stated, this is a false and baseless claim. In fact,
we do supply the DHS with a small percentage of ammunition in select calibers consistent with our
contractual requirements. However, the commercial market receives the vast majority of ammunition
produced to serve the needs of civilian hunters and shooting sports enthusiasts.
As a committed partner to the shooting sports industry, we thank you for your support in dispelling
unfounded rumors relating to the supply and demand of commercial ammunition. We continue to
support the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) in representing the legislative interests of our
industry.
It is our mission to provide top‐quality ammunition and accessories for hunters, sport shooters and to
those who protect our country and neighborhoods. For current information regarding our brands and
products, please visit the Q&A pages on our websites:
Federal Premium Ammunition - FAQ
CCI Ammunition - FAQs
Speer Ammo - FAQs
Speer Bullets - Home

Per day from just one manufacturer. There are many more, making more than 3,000,000 a day.

And remember that is about 90,000,000 rds a month from just that one supplier.
So people are buying up one hell of a lot of rimfire.

Ok so we need to figure out how many manufacturers there are that make rimfire, and in what quantities. The more I run this through my mind, there
is more ammo potentially being made than is even fathomable.
Unless there are a few thousand people literally warehousing it, there is no way people are buying that much. ??

Reread the thread.

I didn't see it mentioned before.

Has anyone considered the thought that there are more firearm owners now than say 2 years ago?

This idiots administration has been the key source for a huge surge in gun ownership.

More hands on guns, means more bodies in stores buying ammo.

If the plants were to maintain an output for the amount of shooters now they would never keep up.

Add this to those like me, who are always collecting what they can to make it through these tight times. As well as those who up sell.

It is a whole mess of reasons.

Only when the price gets too horrible will you see it back on shelves. I think once it gets to a consistent 15-20 cents a round it will come back. I don't think the prices will go back down though until a few years after it has sat on the shelf at the 15-20 cents a round pricing.

Just look at 223/556. It is readily available for 50 cents a round. It will likely stay that price until people stop buying it. If another panic happens and they come after "Assault Rifles" it will likely go up again and the cycle starts over. It will disappear again. The price will go to 75-1.00 a round. People will stop buying it due to price. It will sit readily at 75-1.00 for a year or two.bor longer depending on how many still buy it at that price. Then once everyone has enough and the supply can gain headway. They'll have to lower the price to get it off the shelf.

Classic example is AR lowers. So many companies joined the bandwagon to feed of the crazies trying to buy ARs at the 200-500 dollar range. Now the panic over the dreaded ban is over. Everyone in this country practically has an AR now. So they are lowering the prices to offload the supply. Lowers can be had for as little as 50 dollars.

Ammo is different. There are no new companies jumping the on the wagon to make the stuff. The supply will come, it's just going to take a lot longer since we are relying on the same ole players making it.

I do give kudos to those key players in the industry like Winchester, for expanding their presence with a few new plants.

So those that are buying it are escentially going to make the market price climb to what the price for o6 or 270 sell for.

There is no one to blame except all that buy way more than what is needed. A self made permanent high price ammo. No more cheap 22 ammo.

People won't stop buying it in mass, the price climbs, and you know damned well they won't put it down to anywhere near what it was again.

Think about this for a bit. It is a self created fiasco by the gun owners.
Want to fix it, Just stop buying the crap and take a bat to anyone you see hoarding it.
Just a thought.:D

Hell they make high powered pellet rifles in 22, 25 and up to 45 cal that delivers 170 ft lbs of energy.
I may just get one.

So I guess if you want to fix it, just find the people selling it for twice the price, take them to the ally and beat the hell out of them. :cool:
Any other suggestions folks ??
All the complaining about any of it is pointless. Just simply stop stop looking for it, stop buying it for a long time and those that profit from it will have to sit on it and the shelves will again fill in time and then the companies will have little choice but to lower the retail again.
Not going to work unless you can get everyone on all the firearms forums in the country to do the same thing and doubtful anyone will take the time to do that seeing as how 90% don't even go to a rally for gun rights.
Yeah still bugged, but oh well.

Not one damned other thing will fix this problem. I think every one of you knows that already. Self control. When you see a box, a brick, pass it by and go play with a cheap air rifle for a while or a sling shot. Self control......
Or just live with years of empty shelves and climbing prices.
:s0159::bow::huh::s0092: :s0107::s0054::smash::biglaugh::s0103::beer::s0008::s0096::s0013::s0084::s0081::s0064:

Ok so we need to figure out how many manufacturers there are that make rimfire, and in what quantities. The more I run this through my mind, there
Unless there are a few thousand people literally warehousing it, there is no way people are buying that much. ??

Yes the math does not add up. That is a single company and as I said before remington, Blazer and others are producing less quality controlled bulk ammo and likely more than CCI. Math makes no sense unless stores really are holding back. I am curious what remington and blazer put out per day in rimfire. I do not buy that the government has not bought up a whole lot of ammo but they are likely not buying up all the rimfire. There is a lot of red flags that make me nervous when the math makes no sense and the shelves are still dry.

Yes the math does not add up. That is a single company and as I said before remington, Blazer and others are producing less quality controlled bulk ammo and likely more than CCI. Math makes no sense unless stores really are holding back. I am curious what remington and blazer put out per day in rimfire. I do not buy that the government has not bought up a whole lot of ammo but they are likely not buying up all the rimfire. There is a lot of red flags that make me nervous when the math makes no sense and the shelves are still dry.

In simple terms ......YES ^^^^^^^^^^

Just for discussion sake, if we take the 90 million rounds of CCI 22 per month and divide it up amongst the owners of 22 firearms in the US, which we will estimate at one percent of the population (it is actually much higher than this), we estimate that each 22 owner will be able to purchase 25 rounds of CCI 22 ammo per month. Yes, the entire CCI production of 22 ammo divided up between shooters is only 25 rounds per month or 300 rounds per year. Now if we consider that there are more shooters than 1 percent of the population, then the numbers only get worse. If 3 out of every 100 Americans shoot 22, then CCI can produce a total of 100 rounds per shooter per year. It's going to take a long time to catch up (think 5+ years).

Just for discussion sake, if we take the 90 million rounds of CCI 22 per month and divide it up amongst the owners of 22 firearms in the US, which we will estimate at one percent of the population (it is actually much higher than this), we estimate that each 22 owner will be able to purchase 25 rounds of CCI 22 ammo per month. Yes, the entire CCI production of 22 ammo divided up between shooters is only 25 rounds per month or 300 rounds per year. Now if we consider that there are more shooters than 1 percent of the population, then the numbers only get worse. If 3 out of every 100 Americans shoot 22, then CCI can produce a total of 100 rounds per shooter per year. It's going to take a long time to catch up (think 5+ years).

90,000,000 X 11 manufacturers if the produce at least as much as cci would be 990,000,000 per month devided by how many people ?

Well after seeing this and several other threads on the topic along with total boredom... I decided to do a little investigation.

I have somewhere around 13,000 rds of better quality (CCI mini mags, stingers, shorts), BVAC hvhp, Rem. vipers/yellow jacket, RWS,T-22, and other target stuff. I also have a few thousand of the cheap stuff (Rem. golden, thunderbolt, federal, etc.) This is the stuff I give to friends that need it.

22mag and 17hmr is another story.......

I learned a long time ago to have a supply due to past shortages along with different guns like different types. Living out of town also adds to the stock up mentality not just ammo either ( I was a prepper before prepping was cool). BiMart used to always have CCI on sale @ 2 for $5 so I always bought some when I was there over the years and still have some of it from then.

Besides you can't reload it like everything else.

Another thing to consider is that half of the .22lr ammo being produced ends up on GunBroker for $75.00 a brick.

Amen on the GunBroker.

I also think there is some very shady things happening with the distributors and wholesalers too. How else does so much ammo end up on GunBroker at 3 times retail price and there is nothing on the shelves.
Of course you look at the auctions and for some reason there are bids and buyers. WTF . . . . . . . Are there that many stupid/desperate people out there?

Forgot to state that the $75 a brick thing is still happening in the classifieds on this site just not as much anymore(and members are buying it). People are still trying to sell 9-40-45-223 for profit too. Just a month or so ago there were lots of 1000rd cases of 9mm for $230 each now there are some on here for $300 funny isn't it.
But don't confront anyone doing this, they think that there time and gas are worth the price hike, and try to justify it by stating that some people can't get off of work to go to the stores so they are performing a service to them. Rather than leaving it on the shelf so that those people can stop buy after work to buy it at a normal non-inflated price by some unemployed Jack A** that should be looking for a real job instead of screwing his fellow gun owner and second ammendment supporter.
I guess if you price your ammo at twice to three times retail and people are buying, what is your incentive to stop. I wouldn't stop until it stopped selling at those prices.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top