JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There seems to be a general dislike for Apple products. But they just work, reliably. All the time. My Samsung Tab prompts me to restart it every week or so. I haven't restarted my iPhone in MONTHS and it never asks me to do so, unless there is an update. Simple works for me!

There seems to be a general dislike for Apple products. But they just work, reliably. All the time. My Samsung Tab prompts me to restart it every week or so. I haven't restarted my iPhone in MONTHS and it never asks me to do so, unless there is an update. Simple works for me!

It like the difference in a beater car you fixed up in high school vs a brand new high end car. You can tinker with it forever or just run it.

...I'm going to get the Samsung Galaxy Tab A, 10" for Wifey for Christmas. ...
Got my wife the Galaxy Tab A 10.1" for our anniversary. She loves it. She had been doing everything from her phone. This is much easier to see and has plenty of speed for what she does.

I have the Galaxy Tab S2 8" for drone use. Works great.
IMO, either is a great choice.

iPad here. Great for general stuff. Easy to operate. Runs fast enough for me.

Wife uses a windows 10 based asus convertible tablet/laptop. She likes it because it has word and excel for her work and school.

I'm definitely more simple when it comes to computers despite my age and relation to the millennial category. So I tend to appreciate the Apple products simplicity and ease of use.

Been using an iPad Air exclusively for the past 3 years....seeing that 90% of my internet is web browsing and email, it just works for me. I can use it for the occasional "word" type document if I need to, little bit of a pain, but gets the job done. Surfing, movies, music, shopping online....just plain works. Still impressed with the screen resolution after this long. I don't consider myself a "fanboi", but my last two phones have been iPhones after a decade with Android....they just plain work....like forever....

I have several. I prefer the 7 in to the 10 in. More uses.

I got the 10 to watch movies - like on an airplane.

But the 7 is the size I find most useful- one in garage - U-Tuby for repairs / maintenance & PDF for manuals
7 for bible study

I have 3 Google based
and 2 Amazon (kindle) 1 Fire and 1 paperwhite. I never turn on the fire any more.
I like the paperwhite for reading - but it is the one trick pony.

I have Amazon Prime and am mostly in bed with google.

recommendation - ensure you can "cast" to your TV set. Photos, videos what ever.

Just to drive me nuts, the wife has an Apple. Her girlfriend gifted it to her. I said no, she didn't want to turn down the gift. So that means 4 differnt platforms ! Where did you buy that movie or TV series - Amazon? Google? Comcast? Apple? Crap.

Been using an iPad Air exclusively for the past 3 years....seeing that 90% of my internet is web browsing and email, it just works for me. I can use it for the occasional "word" type document if I need to, little bit of a pain, but gets the job done. Surfing, movies, music, shopping online....just plain works. Still impressed with the screen resolution after this long. I don't consider myself a "fanboi", but my last two phones have been iPhones after a decade with Android....they just plain work....like forever....
Yep me too. iPad Air and last couple phone have been iPhone. They always work.

I've used the crap out of my iPad 4, and it's still going strong with 0 issues 5 years later. In fact I just dropped it 3' onto my slate tile entry way and it didn't get a scratch. I spent the better part of the last five years layed up after my car wreck, and my iPad has been on my lap for most of my waking hours. It's a little awkward for taking pictures, but I've used it for 99% of the pics I've taken over the last few years,and they usually turn out great.... I was at costco today and was looking at the new iPads, and couldn't rationalize getting a new one because this one is still as good as the day I got it... very rare for a computer device.
We bought my daughter a Samsung galaxy tab a few years ago and she used it very sparingly for about a year, and it has just been laying around ever since. I tried using it, my wife tried using it too, but the wife prefers her iPhone, and I couldn't stand the stupid thing. That said, my son bought a samsung from costco just last year because he is a gamer and it is compatible with the xbox and his laptop. He absolutely loves it, and uses it everyday... He says they've gotten a lot better since we bought the one for my daughter. Big difference a couple years development makes. I can't speak for how long they hold up for though.

Once you go Mac you never go back. They cost a lot more, but for good reason. They constantly update the software, and they are way less prone to bugs.and the the OS is wayyy more user friendly imo. Aesthetically they are superior, and in my experience they are very well built, and will hold up for years.

Bottom line: if your wife has an iPhone, get an ipad.she'll likely hate the samsung. but...if she has a samsung cell phone or isn't used to any other operating system, she may well love it, and you can save $$ and buy the Samsung.

It's been years so things may have changed. I have one and bought 2. Running android and slow is what turned me off. I gave one to one kid, the other I took to work and it's a loaner for the guys who work under me for then they want to play. Now some must be better these days. I have long been sold on Chromebook. Wife bought one years ago for a C note to try. She got bored and it sat. When Windows 10 changed to that stupid you have no choice on updates I got hers back out for work. Was so damn tired of turning my laptop on at work and it was super slow as it took the latest update. The Chrome is super fast. Takes less than 1 minute from dead to running. When in sleep mode it's seconds. Use it to watch TV and e-mail and such. Using it now. I bought a new one while ago paid about $200. Found it did not work any better than Wife's old one. Slightly better look to the screen. They have some that fold in half to make a tablet. There is some limitations as they are not a full blown PC but it does everything I need. Battery will last a whole shift since no moving parts, all solid state.

I have the Nvidia Shield K1 (not the full gaming set up). Just the right size, wicked fast. Front facing speakers. I don't log in with android but I do my emails on it. Apps I just transfer from my BlackBerry to it. My kids have the Samsung's. The Nvidia seems to have a lot less clutter and seems less complicated than the Samsung's. Came with android 7.0. Wifi only version.

When not on my laptop and just sitting around cruising the forums or you tube videos I use a Kindle Fire that I bought on for $39.99 on sale. This is actually my second one because I dropped my first one so many times I finally cracked the screen. I gave it to a friend and it still works perfect just a small crack in the corner that you really cant see when using. Put my new one in a rubber case I got off of Ebay LOL. For the money you cant go wrong and if you destroy it its so cheap you can just get another one. Works for me:)
https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Amaz...F8&qid=1510396096&sr=8-1&keywords=kindle+fire

Wifey doesn't need most of the stuff these $300.00+ Tablets are offering I'm sure.. She literally only looks at a few web sites and plays games like Candy Crush, Spider Solitaire, Angry Birds etc. I payed $600.0 for that Zoom and I'm pretty sure a lot of that tablets potential has never been tapped. Any serous computing gets done on the PC.

I thank you all for your time.

This is the tablet I currently use. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-galaxy-tab-s2-8-32gb-black/5234641.p?skuId=5234641
It's quick and has a pretty good screen. You can add a micro SD card for more storage. I paid less than $200 for mine.

That's what I've got, too. Plus a folio cover that props it up so I can watch Youtube, Netflix, Amazon.
I got it initially as a Nook replacement since most of my books are electronic now and my last tablet, a 6-year-old Nook, finally gave up to the ghost. I use it for work and personal email when out and about instead of lugging my laptop. Plus videos, plus Skype/FB Messenger stuff. Has worked great for me.

I've got a Samsung Tab A 8 inch wifi only I bought a few yrs ago from Costco ($129) and haven't used much. This thread reminded me of it. I can't remember the last time that I charged it but it must have been quite awhile ago because I had to dig to find a cord that'd fit. "Wow, its still has power!" Fired it up and it was at 93%! That's amazing! It hasn't been updated since 4/5/16. Installing Marshmallow on it now. :D
ETA 2 hours later I'm installing Nougat. I'm not turning software updates off again. :confused:

They're good tablets for the price. I had one of the earlier versions and they used an Apple type charging cord and the charging port took a crap on me due to the cord I think. There was a lot of complaints about it at the time. Since, they've went back to a "mini" usb charging port and might be using a "c" type now. It seems faster now than when I bought it, may be the router that I have now.
$169 is a good deal IMO especially for the 10 inch version.

Last Edited:
I have a Galaxy Tab 3 8.0. There's lots of criticism of these Samsung Tablets, but since I don't know enough to be critical, all I know is it always works well, and works easily. When I have real computer work to do, I use a real computer.

I have a Kindle fire (from my daughter & SIL) from last year's Christmas present but only use it occasionally. I like the voice to text on my phone but am not sure there there is a way to set it up on the Fire.....
Sorry Mike but I'm no help to you on this topic. Good luck with your decision.;)
Let's talk fishin....:p:p:p

Okay....I was thinking you're pretty lucky to have buds that will take you on a drift. And even though it is late for fall chinook/silvers and early for steelhead You caught fish!!

iPad Air 2 - provided by work, otherwise I probably wouldn't have it. It's a great tool to have available, and helpful when I need to jump on the forum from time to time. It's been very reliable, still today not a single issue with it - as @Kruejl mentioned, it just works. My wife has an iPad Mini and it's been equally as reliable. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the iPad products. Main issue is the cost as some others can certainly be friendlier on the wallet. Both our iPads are at least 3-4 years old now and continue to work very well, so seem to be worth it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top