JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Other than the obvious you can carry a concealed handgun what are the other benefits?

It affects waiting periods in what way? Is there anything else you see as a benefit?

I have put getting one off forever. I actually printed off the application 6-8 months ago and never made an appointment to get finger printed. I finally made an appointment for this coming Monday.

I honestly am not sure why I need one. Back when I was going to do it because so many folks wanted to see it when you did a private transaction. Well that is pointless with I594

I had a carry permit for years and actually carried most of the time. My life was completely different back then though. I have been in Washington now for 14 years and have never had one here and honestly I have no intention of carrying these days. Its just not practical for me, my day is not conducive to having a gun on my person nor is it likely that I would ever have a need for self protection during my workday. I usually am doing heavy labor, crawling around on the ground and up and down off tables welding, cutting and moving stuff. Its a struggle to keep a leatherman in my pocket. A handgun simply is not an option.

Honestly I do not shoot my pistols much, I have a number of them but they are not what I enjoy shooting.

Anyway I figure I am going to show up and get fingerprinted even though I really dont feel like its that important. I suppose as a "just in case" thing its good to have, which I guess is reason enough.

well I guess you don't travel much then either nice to have a reciprocity. bubblegum wish it were for all states not just a few

as with your job, there's always a lock box. same here crawling up and down weird positions and not to mention tool belt there's always a hammer to throw.

better think hard better to have it, not use it then need it and not have it.

No waiting period and for me personally, to ward off bad ju-ju. If I remember correctly, the infringement-style statutes try to specify when you are even allowed to have it in your vehicle when you don't have a permit (returning from gun store, to/from the range, gray areas concerning what is/isn't concealed, things like that). I don't recall the exact phrasing, but I don't want to get hassled by an leo having a bad day.

The above is only true for LOADED firearms handguns in a vehicle, you can not have loaded long guns. You can carry empty firearms anyway you like at any time.

Last Edited:
I have had mine for years,mostly just to have a loaded weapon in the car when in the back woods of Pierce/king counties and just when traveling.
Never carried on my person much until recently.Just seemed like it was a good idea any more.
And after leaving Pugetropolis,when I go back,I always have a gun on my person. No patience for the rif raf over there any more.

"NORMALLY" there is no waiting period with a CPL. I have never had a delay but other CPL holders have. I have an uncommon last name but if your last name is Smith, Anderson, Wilson... you could have issues. Usually there is no wait.
I can legally carry concealed and can legally have a loaded pistol in me vehicle, hence my desire to own an AR pistol. With just the WA CPL I can carry concealed in 26 states. Get the Utah endorsement and that goes up to 32, with OR that goes to 33.
If ya want to legally carry concealed in multiple state the CPL comes in handy.
I'm thinking that pretty much covers the advantages:cool:

I found that having an NFA item really speeds up your BGC here in Oregon.
Before it was so so.. Then after, even in the panic days I shoot right through the line.. No waiting no BS.. But I try to but private 80% or the time ;)

My last transaction was delayed. It came through the same day but it took about 7 hours to get the proceed. After that happened I sent in the ATF voluntary appeal file paperwork. With it you get a pin number to put on the 4473 which should give you an instant proceed. I figured it was worth filing the paperwork just from the standpoint that with I594 the last thing I want is to have a delay doing a private transaction. Or a gun show or a out of state rifle purchase or what ever. They say it can take from 60 days to 6 months to get the pin though.

< Why they don't have school shootings in Israel.
Notice the long gun slung over the teachers shoulder?

I can legally carry concealed and can legally have a loaded pistol in me vehicle, hence my desire to own an AR pistol. With just the WA CPL I can carry concealed in 26 states. Get the Utah endorsement and that goes up to 32, with OR that goes to 33.
If ya want to legally carry concealed in multiple state the CPL comes in handy.
I'm thinking that pretty much covers the advantages:cool:

I have all three because we want to travel in our motorhome and be legal as much as we can!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
"Defender of Freedom" award
NRA Golden Eagle member
WAC member
Vancouver Rifle and Pistol Club member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

OK Nwcid tell me if you agree with this.
http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41
RCW 9.41.050 is the laws talking about legal CC
9.41.060 almost completely negates the previous laws with all the exemptions.YMMV
I have a permit so it is a mute point for me,but IM,you should read these (again?) and see what you think.
There is always room for a fishing pole in the car,no?

I think what you mean are these exceptions, (8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

Yes you could add a fishing pole, or some targets (on the way to the range), or something else that fits into this category. I am usually a fan of fully exercising your rights. If you only occasionally CC I would say this would work well. If you CC daily I would think it would be pushing it. Say you get pull over on the way to work at 7:30 in a snow storm and try to convince them you are "headed to the range or fishing" might be a stretch.

I initially got mine because I wanted to carry while going to, walking in, and returning from, the woods with my dog.

Now I see a real need to carry MOST of the time. It may not be ON me, it may be in my briefcase, but it's usually within reach.

I don't carry at home, even after reading an article (linked here-somewhere), but I have a few around the house "just in case".

There was a cougar in my back yard last summer, bears are around...and those KILLER DEER!!!

But don't worry, if you don't have a gun on you, and the SHTF, and you are in the middle of it, WE OTHERS will protect you from harm.:D:Do_O:confused:

99.5% of the time if the SHTF I would be at the same location or withing a few hours walking distance of a personal firearm. I have the good fortune of being able to store them at multiple locations. Honestly if it really was a SHTF event the first few hours I am not worried about. Its having the preparations for after that first few hours that I think will matter, And I am pretty well set in that regard

99.5% of the time if the SHTF I would be at the same location or withing a few hours walking distance of a personal firearm.

It's that .5% of the time that will kill you....................................:D:D:):):(:(

I didn't "carry" until a few years ago, but have had my permit for 20+ years.:cool:

I think my only question would be; If you have the opportunity to get a CC license, why wouldn't you???????

If you have the opportunity to get a CC license, why wouldn't you???????

Well I am, So I guess I cant argue with that logic. I have been saying I was going to do it for a couple of years now, The reason for me to do it mostly dried up with I594. It still seems better to have it than not have it even if there is no reason why I need it.

I have found that there re certain times and places I feel 98% safe and relaxed, and there are certain times & places I am on high alert, and places in between.

For example, in the US POST OFFICE, I'm on High Alert..........unfortunately, my gun is in my truck...:(:confused::cool::D:rolleyes:o_O.......just kidding, the USPO does not make me nervous...........it's the walk to and from:eek:

In certain parks, I am uneasy.

In certain stores, I feel uneasy. WM being one of the High Alert stores (Probably because of all the pictures of "Wal Mart People"...:eek:

In Jacksonville, I feel 98% comfy.:cool:

In the woods, I am on High Alert.

You may find, once you "try" carrying once in a while, off and on, you may feel the same.

It's nice to have the option:)

Do you have a family to protect???

Well in Jacksonville I would feel pretty warm and fuzzy too. What a beautiful place. My ex and my two adult sons all live just outside of Jacksonville in Beaver Creek area. Personally I think you would be hard pressed to find a better place in the Pacific Northwest to live.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top