JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just picked up my new Rugged Obsidian 45. I'm in the process of taking it apart, but can't for the life of me get most of the baffles apart. 🤣

I had thoughts of a hammer dance through my head, and decided to post here before I let my inner cave man have at it.
I know that it's new and all, but holy crap! This is really stupid.

My instinct is to grab a wooden dowel and a hammer, and whack the crap out of it. I'm going to bend them all up, if I keep wrenching on them with my man mitts.

ideas?

-Matthew

image.jpg

Kroil works maybe PB blaster, probably some protective coating on them making them stick. Just dont get the penetrant on the anodized tube, hot water may even do the trick. Before you put it back together get some welding nozzle dip and coat it so it's a lil easier next time when it's dirty.

I have to wonder why you're taking apart a brand new item
I'm in the same train of thought. It's new, I say just shoot it and don't smash, deform or bust anything trying to get it apart before you use it. Tight tolerances on the baffle stack is a good thing, and they will expand when you shoot it/get it hot.

Avoid the hammer and dowels for now.

It seems odd not to take it apart to clean, inspect, and to "lube" the thing. A lot of folks treat their baffles with things like frog lube, and to follow the manufacture guide on applying white lithium grease to the outside of the piston, etc.

deadeye, I'll have to lookup welding nozzle dip.

I'm soaking the baffles in some 90% rubbing alcohol now.

If you used a little torch (think heat shrink or "crack torch" not a cutting torch) and heated up the top one a little will probably fall apart, just enough to warm the metal and expand it don't cook it till it's glowing and melting 😂

Kroil works maybe PB blaster, probably some protective coating on them making them stick. Just dont get the penetrant on the anodized tube, hot water may even do the trick. Before you put it back together get some welding nozzle dip and coat it so it's a lil easier next time when it's dirty.
Any difference between the $16 containers of nozzle dip and the generic in the $6 range? 🧐

Last Edited:
As mentioned, it's in the manual. I've shot thousands of rounds through this can. Literally cleaned off 2oz of built up carbon. Use an Allen wrench and the instructions in the manual
Tried last night. Still no go after soaking, and getting them so hot I was burning the holy livn' tar out of my hands (not bare). Wife was making fun of me…

I agree, they should just pop apart per manual. If I can't get them apart tonight, I'll get ahold of Rugged.

Get a set of Otis soft vice grips. Then place baffle in grips. Use Allen key to pull apart.

These also help if you ever lock up a front cap.

1644270736139.jpeg

Another way to do it is to leave the baffle stack in the tube, minus the one you want to pull apart. IE have the baffle seam out of the tube. Use the tube as leverage to pull the exposed baffle apart using the hex key.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top