JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My well pump which is probably 240V, does not run off the house power - it has an underground power line that comes straight from the meter (with its own breakers) which is outside on a pole about 20' from the house. Currently no transfer switch or external generator connector there.
Many single-phase motors can be wired to run on either 240V or 120V, including well pump motors. They are typically installed to run on 240V because voltage and current are inversely proportional and the higher voltage allows smaller wire and conduit to be installed to the pump house which reduces cost.

There is typically a set of wiring diagrams inside the motor wiring cover that shows how to swap the leads around depending on which voltage is desired. Even though I worked as an electrician for 11 years, it's not rocket science, and it's a good tool for the knowledge toolbox!

Lost power 5pm Friday, lost cell about 11pm the during the night my beautiful Red Maple we transplanted into my front yard 30 years ago split in two. Some thoughts

Do not put off buying that generator. 10mib after power went out I was at NAPA buying an inverter to run the pellet stove. We have been able to keep the house above 50 degrees.

Years ago to save money I cut 2" foil backed foam insulation like barrel staves and wrapped them around the water heater. This morning we had water warm enough to comfortably wash dishes not hot but not cold either thats more then 62 hours since it ran. Obviously the foam made a big difference.

The fridge freezer still has Ice in the icemaker. There is also a bunch of blue ice in it. We will be able to eat lunch and dinner out of it. The ice made a huge diff. The big freezer has 4 gallons of water as Ice in it I will not open it until Wed when the generator is supposed to arrive.

We put the stuff from the fridge in open boxes in the unheated shop which has been about 40- 42 degrees so that stuff is fine.

Got full cell and data back sometime middle of the night ordered a gen from Amazon at 2am lol.

Hope everyone is doing as well.
I went without internet for over a year once. That was fun.

Every transmission line I have worked on starts in the million a mile range. I have worked more then a few 115, 230, 345 and 500kv jobs and 115 starts in the the million a mile range. In town 69kv can be cheaper as it is often built with distribution underbuild and the access is tremendous easier. Did a smaller overhead transmission line last year. It was a dual circuit double bundle 230 line. Took right about 6 months for three crews working six, ten hour days to complete just the overhead work and install the structures. Also had several crews to drill and pour the foundations that wdre completely seperate. 34 miles of line in total was 25 million. It was dual circuit so structures were side by side with excellent access. Same job underground if I had to guess would take years and hundreds of millions. Its easy to say just put it underground but doing so is much much harder.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top