JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
5 seconds if you get a set of bump keys...
%2fmedia.giphy.com%2fmedia%2fxUx5QDxK2zoYg%2fgiphy.gif

:eek:

In real estate I too have to re key houses. I've found no matter what deadbolt I've come across, 30 seconds with a cordless drill and your lock is uninstalled. No door damage.
Depends on the lock; "high security" locking hardware is often made of better metals that are harder to drill or grind, and there are many high security lock designs that are also not vulnerable to bump key attacks and very difficult to manipulate (pick).

For example, see this paper on the "Geminy Shield" product and its resistance to physical attack: https://toool.nl/images/a/a6/Drumm-geminy.pdf (also see other good products at Security Snobs).

Of course higher security, commercial grade stuff is expensive and people don't like to spend too much money or time on security, but always like to complain that "people can get in if they want in" :)

Reinforced walls (stucco is a great option for residential, due to the concrete-like material plus metal mesh), steel doors with steel frames, Geminy Shield on Abloy double cylinder deadbolts, window bars and/or window film, plus a well planned alarm system and quick response time, and you can indeed be reasonably secure to the point where most criminals can be kept out. Physical security is about delaying people (not stopping them forever), and alarm systems are about responding within that delay interval.

Personally I do take physical security seriously because it reduces even further the chance that I will have to use deadly force at home, and the ensuing legal headache.

I did this once, back when I lived in Corvallis. I just grabbed a hammer and a screwdriver. After a bit of tickling, the door handle said uncle. $14 for a new handle. I sure was tempted to kick it though.

This. I replaced my striker screws with longer ones that bit deep into the studs. Always on web cam pointed at the door with real time motion alerts. And a pit-bull mix on overwatch.
I put inch decking screws in mine it' stronger than the cheapo locks they make now days .

I do things by habit because otherwise I will forget, but this morning I forgot to put my keys in my pocket before going out the door.

Last time I did that a few years ago I was able to get back in with a table knife in about 1 minute. This time I wasn't able to make that work - so after 30 minutes I just kicked open the door. Repairing the door jamb/casing/etc. will be cheaper than calling a locksmith.

Yes, I did have a set of keys made but one of them didn't work and then I just let it slip.

I have two locks (different keys) on my door; one a regular door lock with the lock in the knob - that is the one I lock from the inside before going out the door because it is easier than using the key, then I use the other key to lock the deadlock from the outside because that is required to lock it.

A good swift kick and the jamb split and the door opened. I went in, got my keys, and locked it from the outside and went to work.

Now I have to repair the jamb, but I need to get one of those metal strips to reinforce the door - been meaning to for a while. I think I am also going to get replacement locks - ones that can only be locked with a key, inside or out (do they make those?), and use the same key.

The door is metal clad, but not a security door. But the weakest part is the door jamb where the locks are - very easy to kick in.

The downside of living in the boonies is that while I have good neighbors who watch out for me, my house is not visible from the road during the summer so if somebody can make to my house without being seen/heard they can bust into it pretty easily thru the doors.

If I strengthen the doors, then getting in thru the windows would be the next step I suppose, and that would be easily done by throwing something hard/heavy thru them then just stepping in. I should get some window film to reinforce them.

Gorilla glue small nails and some clamps. I have rentals and have fixed a few too many.

It only takes half a brain to hide a spare key somewhere. Yes locked door just slow down the dedicated intruder
I figure if you have glass windows (with no bars), anyone who wants to can get in by breaking a window. The locks on the door are mostly symbolic and to prevent misunderstanding. I keep my doors locked, day and night, even though locks, doors, and windows are easy to bypass. If some stranger breaks into my house, I know he's a bad guy. If some stranger shows up in my house and the door was unlocked, I can't be sure. I read once about a deaf man getting shot because he was trying to go to a party in the apartment of another deaf man, but he got the wrong apartment. He walked in without knocking, since that's what deaf people do. The resident of the invaded apartment told the deaf guy to halt, but he didn't because he couldn't hear it. The same thing might happen if someone was merely drunk or stoned and had the wrong place, and was too confused to be responsive.

Guess I'm old-fashioned. My neighbors have a key to my place, and I to theirs.

I live in a very low crime area - on a private - 20 forested acres on a mountain - during the summer it is difficult to even see the house from the private road. POs did not lock the doors. The shop was left open all of the time. I keep things locked up if I am not home and so do my neighbors.

But I do lock my doors.

Yes, someone can get into my house if they want to. But there is no sense in making it easier for them.

The problem is most people who are breaking in try to avoid someone being home at the time because they might be perforated by the resident.

True, but I figure the alarm is a detergent, along with good lights, and if they defeat that, they still have to kick or pick through two reinforced doors just to even get to my gun safe.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top