JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At the very least i would go with longer screws for the striker plate,But I would stay away from locks that require a key to be used from inside.

Its interesting most striker plates are attached by screws about 3/4" long and can easily be pushed open because those screws don't go into the studs but rather just into the moulding.

One should at least drive longer screws in place reaching all the way into the studs. Someone makes a striker plate with an integral 4-6" stud requiring the installer to bore into the stud then slip the plate/stud in place. Been a while since I saw that one.

Google is your friend
I did that I used probably 51/2 in screws on my door why LOL BECAUSE I DID THE SAME THING locked myself out and had to kick in the door got spare key now hidden in the yard somewhere . hopefully I will remember where next time I need it

I do things by habit because otherwise I will forget, but this morning I forgot to put my keys in my pocket before going out the door.

Last time I did that a few years ago I was able to get back in with a table knife in about 1 minute. This time I wasn't able to make that work - so after 30 minutes I just kicked open the door. Repairing the door jamb/casing/etc. will be cheaper than calling a locksmith.

Yes, I did have a set of keys made but one of them didn't work and then I just let it slip.

I have two locks (different keys) on my door; one a regular door lock with the lock in the knob - that is the one I lock from the inside before going out the door because it is easier than using the key, then I use the other key to lock the deadlock from the outside because that is required to lock it.

A good swift kick and the jamb split and the door opened. I went in, got my keys, and locked it from the outside and went to work.

Now I have to repair the jamb, but I need to get one of those metal strips to reinforce the door - been meaning to for a while. I think I am also going to get replacement locks - ones that can only be locked with a key, inside or out (do they make those?), and use the same key.

The door is metal clad, but not a security door. But the weakest part is the door jamb where the locks are - very easy to kick in.

The downside of living in the boonies is that while I have good neighbors who watch out for me, my house is not visible from the road during the summer so if somebody can make to my house without being seen/heard they can bust into it pretty easily thru the doors.

If I strengthen the doors, then getting in thru the windows would be the next step I suppose, and that would be easily done by throwing something hard/heavy thru them then just stepping in. I should get some window film to reinforce them.

If you need door components let me know. If your up for the drive to Vancouver I will donate to the cause and give you the parts to fix the jamb.

I do things by habit because otherwise I will forget, but this morning I forgot to put my keys in my pocket before going out the door.

Last time I did that a few years ago I was able to get back in with a table knife in about 1 minute. This time I wasn't able to make that work - so after 30 minutes I just kicked open the door. Repairing the door jamb/casing/etc. will be cheaper than calling a locksmith.

Yes, I did have a set of keys made but one of them didn't work and then I just let it slip.

I have two locks (different keys) on my door; one a regular door lock with the lock in the knob - that is the one I lock from the inside before going out the door because it is easier than using the key, then I use the other key to lock the deadlock from the outside because that is required to lock it.

A good swift kick and the jamb split and the door opened. I went in, got my keys, and locked it from the outside and went to work.

Now I have to repair the jamb, but I need to get one of those metal strips to reinforce the door - been meaning to for a while. I think I am also going to get replacement locks - ones that can only be locked with a key, inside or out (do they make those?), and use the same key.

The door is metal clad, but not a security door. But the weakest part is the door jamb where the locks are - very easy to kick in.

The downside of living in the boonies is that while I have good neighbors who watch out for me, my house is not visible from the road during the summer so if somebody can make to my house without being seen/heard they can bust into it pretty easily thru the doors.

If I strengthen the doors, then getting in thru the windows would be the next step I suppose, and that would be easily done by throwing something hard/heavy thru them then just stepping in. I should get some window film to reinforce them.

Then they just break a window. The new cell phone app to watch your house while you are away seems the way to go, IMHO, I'm going that route. Dan

Then they just break a window. The new cell phone app to watch your house while you are away seems the way to go, IMHO, I'm going that route. Dan

Oh, I have drilled a 1+ inch hole through the door jamb and into the two studs and inserted a 3/4" pipe that the deadbolt fits in purrrfectly. The wall has to come out to open the door. BUT THEN THEY JUST BREAK A WINDOW, lol.

If you already have to replace parts of the door and frame, rather than reinforcing wooden or residential grade doors, you might think about upgrading to a commercial steel door and steel frame.

This is a pending upgrade on my house, to replace all the residential wood with commercial steel.

EDIT: The type of lock you are referring to is called a "double cylinder deadbolt."

Last Edited:
If you already have to replace parts of the door and frame, rather than reinforcing wooden or residential grade doors, you might think about upgrading to a commercial steel door and steel frame.

This is a pending upgrade on my house, to replace all the residential wood with commercial steel.

Check into timley frames they are light commercial or residential. I own a door shop and that's what I did. If you need help shoot me s PM

I have plenty of room around the door between the door and the jambs so a plate will be fine.

I thought about putting more deadbolts in, like one at the top and one at the bottom, but it is a metal door probably with a foam core, so it would be a big hassle installing more deadbolts - and given the door frame might be of limited benefit vs. the hassle.

When I retire in 2 years I will be moving and building on land I buy, so at that point I will design in better security for the doors and windows - thinking both film for the windows and those security screen for the windows, not to mention I am thinking at least earth bermed ICF walls on three sides.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Sink a few 3-4" screws into the lock recepticals on the jam and you'll have to try a lot harder to kick it in, if you even can.

I just realized that poor diet is the root cause of all the homeless tent encampments that dot our landscape these days.. these poor souls simply didn't have the bone and muscle strength to kick down their own doors when they locked their keys inside.

I just realized that poor diet is the root cause of all the homeless tent encampments that dot our landscape these days.. these poor souls simply didn't have the bone and muscle strength to kick down their own doors when they locked their keys inside.
IMG_0805.JPG

I used to work as a contractor for mortgage servicing companies. One of my "duties" was to access and re-key abandoned houses.
I use the term access because when I used the term break in when neighbors asked what I was doing they would usually call the cops.
You need to remember, I had to access the house with minimum damage. after 1 quick walk around the house, I usually could gain access to most houses in 30 seconds to 5 min with minimum noise and no damage I couldn't easily repair.
If someone wants in they'll get in unless you go through extreme measures and expense
I'd recommend a quality pushbutton lockbox with a code that has nothing to do with your address number or name.

I was working on a friends home when the cleaning lady locked both of us out and also managed to set off the house alarm at the same time.
The police showed up and an officer told me that most folks hide a key near the front door and sure enough after he looked around in the bushes for 20 seconds, he found a full set of front & back keys.

In real estate I too have to re key houses. I've found no matter what deadbolt I've come across, 30 seconds with a cordless drill and your lock is uninstalled. No door damage.

I did this once, it was a crappy duplex rental. Cheapest entry door money could buy. One solid kick, the door seperated from the lock/handle. Went to home depot and bought a steel clad door with a better dead bolt and handle locks. Landlord did not mind his free upgrade :rolleyes: maybe made my neighbors half look slightly more attractive to break into as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top