JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I do things by habit because otherwise I will forget, but this morning I forgot to put my keys in my pocket before going out the door.

Last time I did that a few years ago I was able to get back in with a table knife in about 1 minute. This time I wasn't able to make that work - so after 30 minutes I just kicked open the door. Repairing the door jamb/casing/etc. will be cheaper than calling a locksmith.

Yes, I did have a set of keys made but one of them didn't work and then I just let it slip.

I have two locks (different keys) on my door; one a regular door lock with the lock in the knob - that is the one I lock from the inside before going out the door because it is easier than using the key, then I use the other key to lock the deadlock from the outside because that is required to lock it.

A good swift kick and the jamb split and the door opened. I went in, got my keys, and locked it from the outside and went to work.

Now I have to repair the jamb, but I need to get one of those metal strips to reinforce the door - been meaning to for a while. I think I am also going to get replacement locks - ones that can only be locked with a key, inside or out (do they make those?), and use the same key.

The door is metal clad, but not a security door. But the weakest part is the door jamb where the locks are - very easy to kick in.

The downside of living in the boonies is that while I have good neighbors who watch out for me, my house is not visible from the road during the summer so if somebody can make to my house without being seen/heard they can bust into it pretty easily thru the doors.

If I strengthen the doors, then getting in thru the windows would be the next step I suppose, and that would be easily done by throwing something hard/heavy thru them then just stepping in. I should get some window film to reinforce them.

Lesson learned. Now you know how easy it WAS to kick your door in. Time for reinforcements. :)

Its interesting most striker plates are attached by screws about 3/4" long and can easily be pushed open because those screws don't go into the studs but rather just into the moulding.

One should at least drive longer screws in place reaching all the way into the studs. Someone makes a striker plate with an integral 4-6" stud requiring the installer to bore into the stud then slip the plate/stud in place. Been a while since I saw that one.

Google is your friend

Its interesting most striker plates are attached by screws about 3/4" long and can easily be pushed open because those screws don't go into the studs but rather just into the moulding.

One should at least drive longer screws in place reaching all the way into the studs. Someone makes a striker plate with an integral 4-6" stud requiring the installer to bore into the stud then slip the plate/stud in place. Been a while since I saw that one.

Google is your friend

This. I replaced my striker screws with longer ones that bit deep into the studs. Always on web cam pointed at the door with real time motion alerts. And a pit-bull mix on overwatch.

Garage door opener is on a WiFi outlet, I kill it every morning when I leave the house. I got to know all my neighbors pretty well. Especially the retired one that lives right next door and is always home. They have my cell number, just in case.

Something like this is what I will get:

https://www.amazon.com/Door-Armor-M...26552&sr=1-5&keywords=door+jamb+reinforcement

61ZYwzFt-0L._SL1500_.jpg

And maybe this, although with a metal door I don't think it is necessary and may not even work?

prime-line-door-reinforcement-u-10539-64_1000.jpg

At a certain point then the door itself becomes the weak point, and/or they just go for throwing a rock thru the window.

My wife always managed to lock herself out of the house, so I got one of these. Looks just like the real sprinkler heads in my back yard.

sprinkler-head-hide-a-key.jpg

I have a hidden key outside: used once in the last ten years. I tend to stand inside the front door patting down my pockets to see that I have everything before stepping out: wallet, keys, phone, EDC gun and knife, reading glasses.

I have a hidden key outside: used once in the last ten years. I tend to stand inside the front door patting down my pockets to see that I have everything before stepping out: wallet, keys, phone, EDC gun and knife, reading glasses.

Testicles, specktacles, wallet, and watch..... LOL

I've had these on all my doors for years now, and have never needed a key since.

021ACD91-56A0-40DC-AD27-2B72A649DE66.jpeg 687234AF-5D6C-4B58-A927-F7587F1C8A7A.jpeg

I do things by habit because otherwise I will forget, but this morning I forgot to put my keys in my pocket before going out the door.

Last time I did that a few years ago I was able to get back in with a table knife in about 1 minute. This time I wasn't able to make that work - so after 30 minutes I just kicked open the door. Repairing the door jamb/casing/etc. will be cheaper than calling a locksmith.

Yes, I did have a set of keys made but one of them didn't work and then I just let it slip.

I have two locks (different keys) on my door; one a regular door lock with the lock in the knob - that is the one I lock from the inside before going out the door because it is easier than using the key, then I use the other key to lock the deadlock from the outside because that is required to lock it.

A good swift kick and the jamb split and the door opened. I went in, got my keys, and locked it from the outside and went to work.

Now I have to repair the jamb, but I need to get one of those metal strips to reinforce the door - been meaning to for a while. I think I am also going to get replacement locks - ones that can only be locked with a key, inside or out (do they make those?), and use the same key.

The door is metal clad, but not a security door. But the weakest part is the door jamb where the locks are - very easy to kick in.

The downside of living in the boonies is that while I have good neighbors who watch out for me, my house is not visible from the road during the summer so if somebody can make to my house without being seen/heard they can bust into it pretty easily thru the doors.

If I strengthen the doors, then getting in thru the windows would be the next step I suppose, and that would be easily done by throwing something hard/heavy thru them then just stepping in. I should get some window film to reinforce them.

Big dog that barks a lot and doesn't mind biting intruders (multiple if funds allow)

Then you have a friend(s) and anti break in defenses all in one.

The easiest fix to upgrade security is to replace the screws in the dead bolt strike plate box with some 3" or 3-1/2" screws.

These are long enough to anchor into the studs, not just the door frame.

As for locks that require an internal key, you might check the fire code first regarding rules of egress.

Good luck!

The easiest fix to upgrade security is to replace the screws in the dead bolt strike plate box with some 3" or 3-1/2" screws.

These are long enough to anchor into the studs, not just the door frame.

As for locks that require an internal key, you might check the fire code first regarding rules of egress.

Good luck!

I think the way to do it is 2 deadbolts. 1 for when you are home and you just turn the knob, one for when you are away and it requires a key on both sides so they can't just break a window and unlock it from the back.

Yep. Door armor is the way to go! 3m makes a window film like you mentioned that is supposed to be very effective!

My plan is solid oak doors + door armor on the main door and master bedroom door, then window film downstairs, motion activated lights, security system, and a good 8' fence.

If all that fails then they get to go to to toe with a lunatic in body armor! ;)

Yep. Door armor is the way to go! 3m makes a window film like you mentioned that is supposed to be very effective!

My plan is solid oak doors + door armor on the main door and master bedroom door, then window film downstairs, motion activated lights, security system, and a good 8' fence.

If all that fails then they get to go to to toe with a lunatic in body armor! ;)

The problem is most people who are breaking in try to avoid someone being home at the time because they might be perforated by the resident.

DEPENDS ON YOUR SKILL LEVEL DOOR INSTALL......WINDOW INSTALL....
DID THE SAME THING BUT LOCKED KEYS IN SECURE ROOM..
TALKIN PUSH BUTTON DEAD BOLT OPEN..5 KICKS AND I AM OLD AGAIN
I TRY TO FIX WITHOUT NOTICE TO AVOID EXPLAIN
TEMPER TEMPER

ASK ALEXA OR WHOS IT...
SWIPE THE DOOR WITH YOUR PHONE...THATS TOO FAR
SCARED DEATH. LIKE OWNING A DIGITAL DIAL GUN SAFE
NATION WIDE LOCK OUT HACK BEFORE THE TRAINS ARIVE AT WALMART AND RIDE THE POLAR EXPRESS TO THE MOTHERLAND FOR EDUCATION
I BET YOUR WALMART IS FAR AWAY.

ALL JOKES ASIDE ITS A GREAT/IMPORTANT TOPIC
ADD ANOTHER STUD IF ROCK IS DAMAGED
SHEET ROCK ...I SUCK AT ON PURPOSE

ASK ALEXA OR WHOS IT...
SWIPE THE DOOR WITH YOUR PHONE...THATS TOO FAR
SCARED DEATH. LIKE OWNING A DIGITAL DIAL GUN SAFE
NATION WIDE LOCK OUT HACK BEFORE THE TRAINS ARIVE AT WALMART AND RIDE THE POLAR EXPRESS TO THE MOTHERLAND FOR EDUCATION
I BET YOUR WALMART IS FAR AWAY.

ALL JOKES ASIDE ITS A GREAT/IMPORTANT TOPIC
ADD ANOTHER STUD IF ROCK IS DAMAGED
SHEET ROCK ...I SUCK AT ON PURPOSE

:s0079:
:s0092:

Something like this is what I will get:

https://www.amazon.com/Door-Armor-M...26552&sr=1-5&keywords=door+jamb+reinforcement

View attachment 464880

And maybe this, although with a metal door I don't think it is necessary and may not even work?

View attachment 464882

At a certain point then the door itself becomes the weak point, and/or they just go for throwing a rock thru the window.

I had that armor on our door. It is fairly thick steel so it takes up space in the gap between the edge of the door and the jamb. If the gap is too narrow you may have to make a recess so it will work. Or, if you don't want to do that, you may want to take it back so keep your receipts and packaging until you know you can use it.

Later we got a new door and the gap was too small to install it. The new jamb was some kind of plastic so I didn't chisel it out. I did put 4" screws into the deadbolt strike plate and the hinges, and used the wrap-around door edge reinforcer.

There are youtube videos on reinforcing doors. This is a good one if installing a new door (OR FOR EXISTING DOOR). I think every door should include this, as a minimum, from the factory.

Last Edited:
I keep an extra key taped to top of one the alligators heads that lives in the swamp around my house. I'll say getting the key from him isn't as easy as it used to be, he has gotten rather crafty over the years. He keeps the house safe but the cats don't trust him. ;)

Spare house key fits in the wallet easy enough. Unless you are someone who loses their wallet then I wouldn't advise putting the house key in the same container that stores your home address.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top